HELP! New to RDA need advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
Hi. I am pretty new to vaping, have been going for around four months and am using a MVP 3.0 with an atlantis.

I have been having some trouble in terms of burnt taste, not knowing what ratio of juice to use ect.

I then looked into the possibility of getting an RDA, to be honest I had no idea what it was.

I have spent the day on Youtube and think I have a rough idea what it is, in terms of bulding a coil and wick, but still confused slightly.

I have no idea what the difference would be from using 5 wraps to create a 0.3 ohm, compared to using thicker wire and creating a 1.5 ohm or something similar. What difference would this make to my vaping experience?

Also, Im looking for some reccomendations, on a mod thats nice and easy, and more importantly, reliable. A drip tip, atomizer and some sort of mod that Is good as a first RDA, please help!!

Regards, Kyle.

lamarrk

ECF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2013
Huntsville, Alabama (Rocket City), USA
Since each person has their own preferences, and taste is subjective, the best way to go about using the RDA is to experiment to see what is best for you.

Building a coil is pretty straight forward but picking a landing spot for the ohms also depends on the quality of your batteries (all batteries are not made equal). Keep in mind battery safety is a big issue. A good place to start is here: (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

By the way, thinner wire gives higher ohms, not thicker wire. The thicker the wire (the lower the gauge number), the lower the resistance. For example, using 32 gauge wire with 5 wraps might give you 1.5 ohms. 5 wraps of 30 gauge wire would give you 1.2 ohms and 5 wraps of 28 gauge wire would give you .8 ohms. (strictly hypothetical as an example ... do not use those numbers as fact).

The internal diameter of the coil itself also helps to determine the ohm rating of the coil. Larger coils (in diameter) use more wire. More wire equals more resistance.

Hope that doesn't confuse the issue for you.

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
Since each person has their own preferences, and taste is subjective, the best way to go about using the RDA is to experiment to see what is best for you.

Building a coil is pretty straight forward but picking a landing spot for the ohms also depends on the quality of your batteries (all batteries are not made equal). Keep in mind battery safety is a big issue. A good place to start is here: (9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum

By the way, thinner wire gives higher ohms, not thicker wire. The thicker the wire (the lower the gauge number), the lower the resistance. For example, using 32 gauge wire with 5 wraps might give you 1.5 ohms. 5 wraps of 30 gauge wire would give you 1.2 ohms and 5 wraps of 28 gauge wire would give you .8 ohms. (strictly hypothetical as an example ... do not use those numbers as fact).

The internal diameter of the coil itself also helps to determine the ohm rating of the coil. Larger coils (in diameter) use more wire. More wire equals more resistance.

Yes this helps. But in terms of OHM, what difference does it actually make? For example. If i built it on a .8 ohm, what difference would I experience in comparison with a 1.5 ohm coil?

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Yes this helps. But in terms of OHM, what difference does it actually make? For example. If i built it on a .8 ohm, what difference would I experience in comparison with a 1.5 ohm coil?
On an unregulated mod, the lower ohm is going to draw more power from the batteries. All of my builds are fairly low resistance... I would never build anything above .25 ohm, unless it was a single coil build which I don't usually do. These are lung-hitting setups. So maybe I am not the best guy to recommend a build to a new RDA user.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
Based off kanthal, and NiChrome80.
Thinner wire less heat up time, less surface area, better flavor, less vapor, higher ohm's = less wattage.
Thicker wire more heat up time, more surface area, less flavor, more vapor, less ohm's = higher wattage.
The flavor can be hard to tell depending on your pallet, smaller wire can bring more crisp notes of a certain flavor in certain juices. This is why something like a clapton type coil can be the best of both worlds.

A General bases of rda's from my opinion, higher(less flavor)/lower(more flavor) airflow can change the way a rda is overall. Example a kennedy comp being bottom air flow but large air holes making it more of a cloud rda over flavor. A overview on how I look at RDA's.

Side airflow, leakage rating (Mild), Flavor rating 6/10, Vapor rating 10/10.
Bottom airflow, leakage rating (High), Flavor rating 10/10, Vapor rating 8/10.
Top airflow, leakage rating(None), Flavor rating 9/10, Vapor rating 7/10.

Post and building.(how many post/holes on the rda deck)
3Post Design: 3/10 Trying to make center build coils on these are harder then the below, also with large diameter wire/making fancy builds between centering the coil/the center post hole being big enough for both coils.

4Post Designs: 7/10 All tho the coils need a little loving to center the offset of center is not very far off, usually will have no issues with wire/diameter or fitting large fancy coils.

2Post Design: 6-10/10 Center build coils are a breeze, but 2 hole designs can be a issue with large diameter wire/fancy coils the best are imo 4hole/2post designs having the best of the 4post/2post designs in 1.

I hope this helps.

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
Based off kanthal, and NiChrome80.
Thinner wire less heat up time, less surface area, better flavor, less vapor, higher ohm's = less wattage.
Thicker wire more heat up time, more surface area, less flavor, more vapor, less ohm's = higher wattage.
The flavor can be hard to tell depending on your pallet, smaller wire can bring more crisp notes of a certain flavor in certain juices. This is why something like a clapton type coil can be the best of both worlds.

A General bases of rda's from my opinion, higher(less flavor)/lower(more flavor) airflow can change the way a rda is overall. Example a kennedy comp being bottom air flow but large air holes making it more of a cloud rda over flavor. A overview on how I look at RDA's.

Side airflow, leakage rating (Mild), Flavor rating 6/10, Vapor rating 10/10.
Bottom airflow, leakage rating (High), Flavor rating 10/10, Vapor rating 8/10.
Top airflow, leakage rating(None), Flavor rating 9/10, Vapor rating 7/10.

Post and building.(how many post/holes on the rda deck)
3Post Design: 3/10 Trying to make center build coils on these are harder then the below, also with large diameter wire/making fancy builds between centering the coil/the center post hole being big enough for both coils.

4Post Designs: 7/10 All tho the coils need a little loving to center the offset of center is not very far off, usually will have no issues with wire/diameter or fitting large fancy coils.

2Post Design: 6-10/10 Center build coils are a breeze, but 2 hole designs can be a issue with large diameter wire/fancy coils the best are imo 4hole/2post designs having the best of the 4post/2post designs in 1.

I hope this helps.
Okay so i think I want to go with something like a .8ohm, I want nice flavour but enough vapor at the same time.Would this work for what I want? In terms of airflow, do different atomizers have airflow in different places I take it? Looks like I want a top airflow atomizer.

In terms of posts, I want something nice as simple and something that will taste great.

So overall, considering what im looking for, are there ANY set up reccomendations? I have no idea where to start.

but this has helped a lot thanks .

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015

Okay so i think I want to go with something like a .8ohm, I want nice flavour but enough vapor at the same time.Would this work for what I want? In terms of airflow, do different atomizers have airflow in different places I take it? Looks like I want a top airflow atomizer.

In terms of posts, I want something nice as simple and something that will taste great.

So overall, considering what im looking for, are there ANY set up reccomendations? I have no idea where to start.

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas

First off, since you are new to rebuilding, I highly recommend your first purchase be an ohmmeter. Also, when starting out, a regulated mod, with a healthy dose of learning about battery safety is also, recommended. That being said, and with your target resistance, a 75 to 100w device, will serve you well. Why so high on wattage? Besides headroom, in the event you want to go lower on the resistance, you already have power to do so. It will save you from having to buy a different mod, later. My favorite RDA to date is the Velocity(Tobeco clone). Great flavor and vapor production. And it is by far the easiest RDA, I've built on. It would be a great one for a beginner.

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
Check out reviews/prices on these top airflow RDA's, there's more out there then this but these are the ones wither I own ir tried.
Vector(adjustable airflow from small to to large, Great flavor or if open nice clouds)
Aeolus(adjustable least amount of airflow, Great flavor)
Sapor(only 4post RDA listed here, Great flavor)
Rouge(smaller then most listed, also Great flavor)

These all can be used on your MVP3, I would aim at .5ohms dual coil 7-10 wraps seems like a sweet spot imo in standard contact coils.
With that being said if you want to build a standard contact coil I would pick up 26g kanthal or do twisted 28g kanthal.
Also use this great tool to your advantage. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
Check out reviews/prices on these top airflow RDA's, there's more out there then this but these are the ones wither I own ir tried.
Vector(adjustable airflow from small to to large, Great flavor or if open nice clouds)
Aeolus(adjustable least amount of airflow, Great flavor)
Sapor(only 4post RDA listed here, Great flavor)
Rouge(smaller then most listed, also Great flavor)

These all can be used on your MVP3, I would aim at .5ohms dual coil 7-10 wraps seems like a sweet spot imo in standard contact coils.
With that being said if you want to build a standard contact coil I would pick up 26g kanthal or do twisted 28g kanthal.
Also use this great tool to your advantage. Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
Okay so these RDA will all work on my MVP? Wont I get restricted levels of vapour as my mod only vapes at 30 watts?

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
First off, since you are new to rebuilding, I highly recommend your first purchase be an ohmmeter. Also, when starting out, a regulated mod, with a healthy dose of learning about battery safety is also, recommended. That being said, and with your target resistance, a 75 to 100w device, will serve you well. Why so high on wattage? Besides headroom, in the event you want to go lower on the resistance, you already have power to do so. It will save you from having to buy a different mod, later. My favorite RDA to date is the Velocity(Tobeco clone). Great flavor and vapor production. And it is by far the easiest RDA, I've built on. It would be a great one for a beginner.
Okay so the RDA sounds good. In terms of MODS, what is a good effective mod that will vape at least 75 watts? Ive heard a lot of the best flavour and cloud chucking comes at around 70 watts. Guys im happy to use an RDA on my MVP, but I think it kind of defeats the object does it not?

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay so the RDA sounds good. In terms of MODS, what is a good effective mod that will vape at least 75 watts? Ive heard a lot of the best flavour and cloud chucking comes at around 70 watts. Guys im happy to use an RDA on my MVP, but I think it kind of defeats the object does it not?

No it does not. Just use the mvp.

and some rda suggestions: manta, velocity or magma.
those 3 are 2-post rda's with post holes and super easy to mount your coil/s on.

start with 28 gauge kanthal; gauge is more important than ohms as a starting point.
use steamengine calc
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

and for heavens sake please don't rush your way up to 70 watts.
you're going to get a few dry hits along the way, so it's better to get them at 10 to 20 watts than get them at 70 watts.

and the real significance of the 70 to 80 watt number is that's just the limit of the common 20 amp 18650 batteries out there.

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
No it does not. Just use the mvp.

and some rda suggestions: manta, velocity or magma.
those 3 are 2-post rda's with post holes and super easy to mount your coil/s on.

start with 28 gauge kanthal; gauge is more important than ohms as a starting point.
use steamengine calc
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

and for heavens sake please don't rush your way up to 70 watts.
you're going to get a few dry hits along the way, so it's better to get them at 10 to 20 watts than get them at 70 watts.

and the real significance of the 70 to 80 watt number is that's just the limit of the common 20 amp 18650 batteries out there.
Okay.

So if I buy and make an RDA and use it with my MVP, will it still produce more vapour and better flavour than my Atlantis Tank? This is the reason I want to go with an RDA over a Sub Ohm Tank

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Okay.

So if I buy and make an RDA and use it with my MVP, will it still produce more vapour and better flavour than my Atlantis Tank? This is the reason I want to go with an RDA over a Sub Ohm Tank

Short answer is yes.
It depends on you making good coils.

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
I was thinking of the mvp3 pro(60watts). With 30watts your better off with 28g and building above sub ohm imo 1ohm~. Personally id consider another mod, then again I don't vape anything below 55watts/I don't build higher then .6ohm's . Just matters how warm you like your vape, and how you build.
That's what I mean. I don't want to stay on 30 watts, what is a decent mod to start with would you say?

stalkster

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2015
FL
That's what I mean. I don't want to stay on 30 watts, what is a decent mod to start with would you say?
If your ok with the size of a dual 18650 battery Mod, It can last you months/ever~ There's more options out there but I would buy something that would last unless your on a tight budget. IPV can get firmware updates, where Sigelei can not. You can use this site to get prices/find a place to order from Vapecrawler

Budget:
Istick 100w

Single battery:
IPV D2
Sigelei 75

Dual Batteries:
IPV3 LI or IPV3 LI VR
Sigelei 150tc

Batteries:
Samsung 18650 25r

Charger:
Nitecore I2 or D2 or I4 or D4

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
Again, I only mentioned the 70-100w mod, because if you need it, the power will be there. It's better to have it, and not need it than to need it, and not have it. I have both the ipv4S and the ipv3 Li, but my sweet spot is around 60-75w depending on the coil I'm using. I never need the 120-200w they provide. And headroom is always nice. To answer your question you quoted me with...
I love my ipvs with the yihi chipsets, so the ipv4S, gets a mention. Works great in both power mode and tc, should you want to try it. Also the Segelei 100-150 mods are a tried and true mod. What type of batteries are you looking for? Internal, external? Size of mod?

Kyle Williams

Sep 7, 2015
Again, I only mentioned the 70-100w mod, because if you need it, the power will be there. It's better to have it, and not need it than to need it, and not have it. I have both the ipv4S and the ipv3 Li, but my sweet spot is around 60-75w depending on the coil I'm using. I never need the 120-200w they provide. And headroom is always nice. To answer your question you quoted me with...
I love my ipvs with the yihi chipsets, so the ipv4S, gets a mention. Works great in both power mode and tc, should you want to try it. Also the Segelei 100-150 mods are a tried and true mod. What type of batteries are you looking for? Internal, external? Size of mod?
Thanks. In terms of batteries I do not really mind, of course it would be better for me to get abtteries I dont have to change all the time, but I understand if I am driping and want to get the most out of my experience, its pretty much a must? The size of the mod again is not really important to me, as long as I get a good, reliable mod that can go to at least 75-100watts, with a nice RDA ill be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread