Help Please - Smokeless Owl Bottom Feeder Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibisaurus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2015
Las Vegas
So I was chatting with a few people today about the Smokeless Owl Bottom Feeder mod, and I'm thinking about getting one. I'm still new to the vape world, and to rda's in General. So I have a few questions.

1. What battery would I get for this? It says "Battery form 18650 battery" but... I'm not sure about this.
2. What other items will I need for this ? (cotton, ect ect)

Links to where I can actually buy the items would be great!
and thank you for the help :)

sku_14286_1.jpg

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Hey Chibisaurus :)

First off, please make sure you're schooled in Ohm's Law, Watt's Law, and you're comfortable using a multi-meter and an ohmmeter. The Smokeless Owl is a mechanical mod, meaning there's no built-in protection if you under-build your head on the RDA. You need to understand how to build to fit the characteristics of the battery you're using.

There's a wealth of information from the user @Baditude, regarding all this good stuff. He has a number of blog articles which talk about a lot of the questions you have.

18650 describes the size of the battery. The "18" part has to do with the diameter of the battery; the "650" indicates its length.

Batteries will have what's called a CDR - Continuous Discharge Rating. Make note, some batteries may advertise a discharge rating, but it doesn't mean it's continuous.

I believe it's RTSVapes who is well-known for selling AUTHENTIC batteries (some batteries offered are re-wraps and may not be as advertised.) Even though the Smokeless Owl is only about $25, you shouldn't skimp on batteries - I have heard to stay away from anything with "Fire" in its name. I do use Efest batteries, but I treat their ratings as about 1/2 what's on the wrapper, and even then, only build to about 1/2-3/4 that capacity.

Get a GOOD quality charger - Xtar and Nitecore Intellichargers are better quality There's a third one - can't recall whose - that's also very good. Again, not a place to skimp.

Hopefully some other peeps will raise their voices for you.

(I'm also eyeballing the Owl, just haven't decided to pull the plug yet.)

You can use cotton, rayon (cellucotton), ekowool, silica - choice will be up to you - as the wicking material. Personally, I use Japanese cotton pads (Shiseido is what I've picked up) and a little bit of rayon.

Wire - different gauges will yield different resistances, based on the number of wraps and diameter around which you're wrapping. I've gotten wire from LightningVapes and MyFreedomSmokes. The lower the number, the thicker the wire. Check out steam-engine.org for a calculator that will help you with determining starting points for your builds.

Chibisaurus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2015
Las Vegas
Hey Chibisaurus :)

First off, please make sure you're schooled in Ohm's Law, Watt's Law, and you're comfortable using a multi-meter and an ohmmeter. The Smokeless Owl is a mechanical mod, meaning there's no built-in protection if you under-build your head on the RDA. You need to understand how to build to fit the characteristics of the battery you're using.

There's a wealth of information from the user @Baditude, regarding all this good stuff. He has a number of blog articles which talk about a lot of the questions you have.

18650 describes the size of the battery. The "18" part has to do with the diameter of the battery; the "650" indicates its length.

Batteries will have what's called a CDR - Continuous Discharge Rating. Make note, some batteries may advertise a discharge rating, but it doesn't mean it's continuous.

I believe it's RTSVapes who is well-known for selling AUTHENTIC batteries (some batteries offered are re-wraps and may not be as advertised.) Even though the Smokeless Owl is only about $25, you shouldn't skimp on batteries - I have heard to stay away from anything with "Fire" in its name. I do use Efest batteries, but I treat their ratings as about 1/2 what's on the wrapper, and even then, only build to about 1/2-3/4 that capacity.

Get a GOOD quality charger - Xtar and Nitecore Intellichargers are better quality There's a third one - can't recall whose - that's also very good. Again, not a place to skimp.

Hopefully some other peeps will raise their voices for you.

(I'm also eyeballing the Owl, just haven't decided to pull the plug yet.)

Thank you for replying!
I have a friend I met out here that also vapes, and he plans on showing me alot of stuff with RDAs and dripping and explaining it, But I like to do my research and get POVs from other people to.
So this is what I would need battery wise/charger wise? What is the difference between the 26F and the 25R ?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Oh yeah, click on my avitar and go find my blog articles. Another user (whom I can't recall and credit at this moment, but I do in my article) has a graphic of different wire gauges and number of wraps and inner diameters to show you roughly what different resistances can be achieved....
ETA - I'm not sure what the difference between "F" and "R" is...

Reactions: Chibisaurus

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
The charger looks good. I would be hesitant in buying batteries from Fasttech. I can't attest to their authenticity, and I believe batteries take longer to ship (than it already takes). Find a reputable seller Stateside. I'd also not buy batteries from eBay or Amazon. Go to a known source.....

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
Authentic AW Batteries - RTD Vapor is a great vendor for batteries and chargers. RTS is nic and DIY supplies, mostly.

I have two of the Smokeless Owl mods and use Sony VCT4 flat top batteries in mine.

I bought one Owl from angelcigs.com and the other from focalecig.com, both have US warehouses and both shipped quickly. Angelcigs shipped in OEM box, focalecig was out of the color I ordered and offered a sub and shipped everything in a baggie, so presentation wasn't that great, if that matters to you.

IMO, the RDA these shp with are not worth cleaning the machine oil off of, much less building on, so you would most likely want to also pick up a bottom fed RDA. I bought a Challace clone that takes a bit of work to set up properly, but there are many other choices available. I also already had a few BF attys, so it wasn't critical if the Owl atty was usable, but that's just me.

Chibisaurus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2015
Las Vegas
Authentic AW Batteries - RTD Vapor is a great vendor for batteries and chargers. RTS is nic and DIY supplies, mostly.

I have two of the Smokeless Owl mods and use Sony VCT4 flat top batteries in mine.

I bought one Owl from angelcigs.com and the other from focalecig.com, both have US warehouses and both shipped quickly. Angelcigs shipped in OEM box, focalecig was out of the color I ordered and offered a sub and shipped everything in a baggie, so presentation wasn't that great, if that matters to you.

IMO, the RDA these shp with are not worth cleaning the machine oil off of, much less building on, so you would most likely want to also pick up a bottom fed RDA. I bought a Challace clone that takes a bit of work to set up properly, but there are many other choices available. I also already had a few BF attys, so it wasn't critical if the Owl atty was usable, but that's just me.
Thank you :) I also order from AC (got my istick from there) I know they have some bad reviews of "taking too long to ship" but I had my order in 4 days! lol

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
Thank you :) I also order from AC (got my istick from there) I know they have some bad reviews of "taking too long to ship" but I had my order in 4 days! lol
Another note on the Smokeless Owls, some buyers here have reported that the "Terminator" version is a matte finish, mine wasn't, if that matters to you. The crossed pistol logo seems to be a simple silk screen type decal and wears off quite quickly.

Chibisaurus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2015
Las Vegas
Another note on the Smokeless Owls, some buyers here have reported that the "Terminator" version is a matte finish, mine wasn't, if that matters to you. The crossed pistol logo seems to be a simple silk screen type decal and wears off quite quickly.
Thanks :) Ill keep that in mind while looking around. Haven't fully decided on buying it yet.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Baditude's Blogs

I recommend reading the Battery Basics for Mods, Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries, Ohm's Law for Dummies & Vapers, Explain It To The Noob: Ohm's Law Calculators, and Information Resources for Your First RBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread