Status
Not open for further replies.

anendlessches

Jun 24, 2015
I recently bought a 30W mod (my first WW), and I also have this rba that I bought a while ago that I haven't been able to use because every time I tried to rewick/recoil it I ended up making it .3 ohm or something around there, which obviously didn't work with my 3.3-4.8V VV battery. Since I now have a 30W, I want to try sub ohm, but only barely, like .8 maybe. Anyway, I could need a little guidance on how to make the coils.

I have 28ga kanthal wire, and the RBA is dual coil. How many wraps should I do, and should I do micro coils or not?

If you could give me tips on both .8 and something not sub ohm (like 1.2 or 1.5) then that would be great!

By the way, this is the RBA I have:
$9.86 Orchid V6 Styled RTA Rebuildable Tank Atomizer - 4.0ml / stainless steel + glass / 22mm dia. at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I know it is not top notch, but it was what I could afford

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I've never built a coil that high and don't use 28g, but if I was going to build it and thats what I had to work with, I would do micro-coils around a 2mm screwdriver. 6-wraps each. probably will come out to somewhere around .5, which is perfectly safe and will be a good vape. If you do it with only 1 coil, that will be a good vape too and probably around 1 ohm.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
With 28 gauge dual coils you'll want an eight to ten turn coil wound on a 3mm mandrel. I have no experience with the Orchid, so I'm not sure if its a single or dual coil or if coils that big will physically fit inside the chimney. Above all, check with an ohm meter before firing it up.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A Coiling Calculator make things easy: Steam Engine

That is a great coil calculator anendlessches and you`ll be able to enter all the variables like inside diameter, single or dual coils, ohms to end up at, etc, to suit what you want to make. If you have any issues using the calculator, ask and we`ll help you with it :)

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I tried building on the Orchid v5 last night. I dont know what i did wrong on it because i did 9/8 wraps for each of the 2 coils which usually gives me around .9 ohms and i somehow ended up at .5 ohms and could not get it to fire on my hammer mod, it fired ok on a few of my other mods but i wasnt going to push it so i dismantled and stopped for the night.

I would like to note that im not giving on the Orchid, just had to put it down for the night.

Last edited:

jks89

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2015
Vermont, USA
I tried building on the Orchid v5 last night. I dont know what i did wrong on it because i did 9/8 wraps for each of the 2 coils which usually gives me around .9 ohms and i somehow ended up at .5 ohms and could not get it to fire on my hammer mod, it fired ok on a few of my other mods but i wasnt going to push it so i dismantled and stopped for the night.

I would like to note that im not giving on the Orchid, just had to put it down for the night.

Do you know what your ID was?

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome anendlessches :) Along with all of the above, I'd really recommend getting consistent results with a single coil before launching into dual coils. I rebuild all my PT2 heads, and I can do them blindfolded (well almost). I always get between 1.7-1.9 ohms on a 1/16" drill bit.

You might want to be willing to waste a bit of wire as you practice. I will make a build and test it about 5 times before I wick it and try it (and if I'm good, I make notes as to what my build rings out as so I can redo it some other time, if I like how it vapes.)

Watch your posts - make sure your leads are secured well - wonky leads cause wildly fluctuating ohms readings.

Regarding wicking - your choice of material is yours. I use cotton balls for my PT2 heads and Japanese cotton or some occasional rayon (cellucotton) for everything else. Cotton tends to need to be a little more sparse; rayon is a little more forgiving when you stuff it in a coil.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Im back, just changed the wick on my dripper.

I wrapped around a 1/16 drillbit. I used a wrap calculator on vapers toolbox to come up with the number of wraps...which im thinking now was actually 8/7. Either way, i made 4 coils all with the same wraps, diameter and guage. Two of the coils went in the dripper which gave me .92 ohms and the others went in the Orchid giving me .55 ohms. I couldnt figure it out and it was getting late so i chalked it up to inexperience on my part and was going to research it more before trying again.

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I was checking just the coils and was getting .5 ohms, i got that result 5 times in a row. Im comfortable with .5 so i tried to fire them anyway to see if they lit up evenly. Since i use my hammer as a build deck (battery out of course) i slipped a batt in and tried to fire. No result, so i tried on a maraxus mod and it fired on every pulse. Tried it in a king v2 fired on every pules. Put it back on the hammer, no result. Got a bit nervous and stopped there in case i ended up doing some serious damage.chimney never went on the build

anendlessches

Jun 24, 2015
I've never built a coil that high and don't use 28g, but if I was going to build it and thats what I had to work with, I would do micro-coils around a 2mm screwdriver. 6-wraps each. probably will come out to somewhere around .5, which is perfectly safe and will be a good vape. If you do it with only 1 coil, that will be a good vape too and probably around 1 ohm.
Thanks, I tried your tip (well, I did like 7-8 wraps actually) and it got me to .5 ohm, and it is amazing! I now have my istick at 10W and a 1s draw gives me what a 5 second draw would get me on my 2ish ohm protank-II ripoff, but without the burnt taste I'd get on that one! Thanks a lot, and after all the good answers I got here, this forum will be my first stop when I need help with something vaping-relatied. I'm impressed with how fast I get answers and how helpful you all are!

Reactions: DaveSignal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread