Help with set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirssale

Jun 1, 2015
Hi guys, basically I'm really new to vaping, been a smoker for the past 8 years and trying to stop. A few days ago I bought my first vape, a "Rainbow heaven hybrid elite" and followed some YouTube walkthroughs on how to set it up however I seem to get a burning taste every time I toke the vapour. I have 2 wraps of wire on a steel mesh wick, I have no idea what thickness it is. How can I stop the burning taste and produce more smoke? Sorry if its a bit vague, as I said I'm extremely new to this :facepalm:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Your description of your device sounds like you're using some sort of Genesis-style rebuildable tank atomizer. That would have been one of the last devices that I'd ever recommend to a new vaper. I would strongly recommend for a new vaper to use a clearomizer tank, or at least a Kayfun-style RBA, first before using a Genesis-style RBA.

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Attachments

Stainless steel mesh is one of the hardest wick materials to use. Genesis-style tanks are more finicky than Kayfun-style tanks in my experience. Although they still have a following, Genesis-style tanks are nearly obsolete in this day and age.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

What is the ohm of your coils? (Please say you don't know and don't have an ohm reader).

What battery are you using and what is its amp rating? (Again, please don't say you don't know.)

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, in fact I'm glad you are asking questions. Its just that you are trying to use a very complex setup as a beginner vaper -- Not Recommended.

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
Well, I'm not really familiar with that particular mod, myself. But from the looks of it, it is a hybrid mechanical mod with a genesis style tank.... definitely NOT a beginner set-up. For one, genesis tanks are problematic and very touchy (though they do still have their supporters... I have one on my 26650 mod as I type this).
For two, mechanical mods require quite a bit of knowledge to safely use. I would suggest that you click the link in my signature titled "Bad's Awesome Blog" and read up on battery safety along with anything else in there that strikes your fancy. He has spent a lot of time putting those links together, and is a very knowledgeable member of this forum. You would do well to heed his advice.

I would have to ask, what is the resistance of your coils... you say two wraps... that seems like it's going to be very low, and thus potentially very dangerous. Especially depending on what battery you have in your mod. Maybe you could tell us what battery you are using (brand and model number) and what the resistance of your coil build is.

Reactions: Baditude

chirssale

Jun 1, 2015
Your description of your device sounds like you're using some sort of Genesis-style rebuildable tank atomizer. That would have been one of the last devices that I'd ever recommend to a new vaper. I would strongly recommend for a new vaper to use a clearomizer tank, or at least a Kayfun-style RBA, first before using a Genesis-style RBA.

Proper Terminology: Juice Delivery Attachments

Stainless steel mesh is one of the hardest wick materials to use. Genesis-style tanks are more finicky than Kayfun-style tanks in my experience. Although they still have a following, Genesis-style tanks are nearly obsolete in this day and age.

Information Resources for Your First RBA

What is the ohm of your coils? (Please say you don't know and don't have an ohm reader).

What battery are you using and what is its amp rating? (Again, please don't say you don't know.)

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, in fact I'm glad you are asking questions. Its just that you are trying to use a very complex setup as a beginner vaper -- Not Recommended.

Thanks for the fast reply, and I appreciate how helpful you guys are. I haven't got an ohm reader but I'm planning on buying one before using the vape again as I've heard it can be dangerous to vape with little resistance.
The battery I'm using is an efest imr 18350 800mAh 3.7v.
I have used a clearomizer for a couple of weeks and it just hasnt quite done it for me, what I meant by new is that I am new to rebuilding and modifying, sorry for the confusion.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for the fast reply, and I appreciate how helpful you guys are. I haven't got an ohm reader but I'm planning on buying one before using the vape again as I've heard it can be dangerous to vape with little resistance.
The battery I'm using is an efest imr 18350 800mAh 3.7v.
That specific battery only has 6.4 amps continuous discharge rate. I wouldn't use it for anything sub-ohm (coils less than 1.0 ohm).

Since you already have the mod, I'd recommend using the below batteries and not build lower than 0.5 ohm:

AW 18350 800 mah 12A (new)
purple Efest 18350 700mAh 10.5A

DSC_0164__71523.1412901103.451.300.JPG

Battery Basics for Mods <--- recommended batteries and their amp limits

Explain It To the Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations

If you want to vape with the Big Boys, you need to do your homework first. Vape safely my friend. :vapor:

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaezziel

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Thanks for all the helpful tips guys, I will definitely do more research before continuing down this road! Just another quick question, what thickness of wire would you recommend I use for it?

28 gauge Kanthal is a good starting place to begin coil building. Use the Ohm's Law calculator and a coil building calculator to know how many loops to wrap for your target resistance.

Reactions: Kaezziel

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Houston, TX, USA
I agree that 28g is a good starting point. But I would suggest picking up something a little easier to learn on. Kayfun for an RTA, Magma for an RDA, one of the many VV/VW box mods available now, or if you want to stay with mechanical mods, find one that you like that is not a hybrid mod. Something with a 510 center pin. The hybrid mods are prone to shorting out if you aren't familiar with how everything should be isolated. I've thoroughly enjoyed my carbon fiber Knight mod clone. It has been really easy, relatively low maintenance, and super reliable. Just make sure to get decent batteries... I use Sony VTC4s in mine.

That's my 2 cents...

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread