Hopefully one of you take the time to help me ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
I have looked all over the internet. You would think with all the tutorials and how to videos and the reviews, how to build this, how to build that, how to not blow your nose off, how to build a SX350 Box mod.........Oh WAIT! that one isnt anywhere to be found hahaha.

I just need to know how you guys cut the slot for the USB Charger/Sync port. Also:

What do you guys use to secure the board and everything? I don't want to usse epoxy because I plan on taking ti all apart later when I have a little more experience and putting the chip and all other components in a wooden enclosure. On the other hand, I don't want to use hot glue because I don't feel like it would hold very well and the last thing I want is for my chip to fall into my box when i hit the + or - bottun.

Someone please give me some insight. When I get this all figured out, I will most likely do a video. In todays world, there should not be ANY question that youtube and google can't answer. So, ...? lol Have a good one people!! don't be bashful. I need answers!!!

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
Do you mean cutting a slot for the USB port on your mod casing? What's the material, how thick, etc... would really help for the suggestions. I might suggest a Dremel with a cutting wheel but then it depends on what your mod is like and where exactly you're hoping to have the slot cut! Even some scans/pics of a drawing would help us suggest something!

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
Do you mean cutting a slot for the USB port on your mod casing? What's the material, how thick, etc... would really help for the suggestions. I might suggest a Dremel with a cutting wheel but then it depends on what your mod is like and where exactly you're hoping to have the slot cut! Even some scans/pics of a drawing would help us suggest something!

Yeah, that could help huh?

Its an aluminum box and its 0.080 inch thick. The charging port will be on the side. I have a dremel with a 1/8 inch drive cutting bit. but I cant imagine that being a very clean cut. I see guys with the hole for the charging port and its absolutely perfect and looks just like the charging port.

iamthevoice

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
Ottawa, Canada
And the hot glue will hold everything tight enough that when I push on the buttons, it wont push the unit into the box? Thanks for the advice. Where do I get one of these milling machines you speak of? lol I'm kidding. Obviousely, that isn't going to happen.

No but you might go to a machine shop (electrical motor repairs tend to have the right type of gear) and they could do it for you for a fee...

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
I would drill a hole either end and then either use a wheel very carefully to join them up, or drill more holes and use a needle-file. You may want to cut inside the lines with the wheel and finish off with the file, otherwise you'll probably have to cut from both sides.

How far does the socket extend from the board? You may have to bevel some thickness away so the plugs fit.

Lentulusbatiatus

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2012
Wakefield
And the hot glue will hold everything tight enough that when I push on the buttons, it wont push the unit into the box? Thanks for the advice. Where do I get one of these milling machines you speak of? lol I'm kidding. Obviousely, that isn't going to happen.
I meant hot glue just for the board/pcb really. There's no buttons on board so no pressure ever goes on there. For the buttons etc I'd use a spot of epoxy and maybe some hot glue over it. I have seen some use just hot glue for the usb board successfully but I wouldn't as there's some force used plugging in the charge cable.

rolf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
spokane wa
I have looked all over the internet. You would think with all the tutorials and how to videos and the reviews, how to build this, how to build that, how to not blow your nose off, how to build a SX350 Box mod.........Oh WAIT! that one isnt anywhere to be found hahaha.

I just need to know how you guys cut the slot for the USB Charger/Sync port. Also:

What do you guys use to secure the board and everything? I don't want to usse epoxy because I plan on taking ti all apart later when I have a little more experience and putting the chip and all other components in a wooden enclosure. On the other hand, I don't want to use hot glue because I don't feel like it would hold very well and the last thing I want is for my chip to fall into my box when i hit the + or - bottun.

Someone please give me some insight. When I get this all figured out, I will most likely do a video. In todays world, there should not be ANY question that youtube and google can't answer. So, ...? lol Have a good one people!! don't be bashful. I need answers!!!

my milling mashine is a set of needle files from harbor freight . encapsuled the boards used silicone glue to set in the tray .same for the charger board.
my woody box build thread a little down here ...the video will show ...this is a sx350 build.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
.....The easy way to do this is with a vertical mill. I did this recently on an aluminum case. I plunged in with a .125" end mill and then traveled .200" for a .325" slot which seems perfect. I suppose you could drill three holes and then file like crazy but it wont look nearly as good.
AdobePhotoshopExpress_d9a59a68e2c54c96af27ac74b7a3f133_jpg[1].jpg

Hope this helps. :)

Joey_cope

Apr 23, 2014
Indiana
.....The easy way to do this is with a vertical mill. I did this recently on an aluminum case. I plunged in with a .125" end mill and then traveled .200" for a .325" slot which seems perfect. I suppose you could drill three holes and then file like crazy but it wont look nearly as good.
View attachment 366987

Hope this helps. :)

That's a beautiful box. Nice job. I do not have access to any type of milling machine.

Does anyone know how to attach the tactile buttons so I can use a button fort he +&-? I'm not big on te gravity sensor. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

JohnnyDill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2013
Uranus
That's a beautiful box. Nice job. I do not have access to any type of milling machine.

Does anyone know how to attach the tactile buttons so I can use a button fort he +&-? I'm not big on te gravity sensor. Thanks again everyone for the advice.

I attached tactile buttons by drilling the correct size hole so that they pressed into the case and stay put. If the hole is a bit too big to press in, epoxy will hold them in provided the case is roughed up so the adhesive will grab. :vapor:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread