How can you tell where the "fire" button is ? - looking for a new mod...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inni

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Pasadena, California, US
Hi all,

I've been looking at the various advertisements that pop up here, because I am looking to purchase a new ... "mod" - I think you call it. :)

I currently have/use a Kangertech Kbox/subox mini and I'm a tootle puffer @ 8-10 watts average.

I'm big on flavor and smoothness - since nicotine does have a bite!

My question is -- I can't tell how they fire. I purchased one online, and when I got it - found out it fires from the bottom - and I hate those!

I'm looking for something smallish and simple to use - with a side fire button and adjustable watts.

Any advice is, as always, very much appreciated.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Most mechanical mods use a bottom fire button. I don't like them either. They're unnatural and a safety hazard in my opinion.

Most regulated (adjustable power) mods utilize a side fire button. When interested in a particular mod, go to You Tube and type the name of that mod into their search. You'll find numerous video reviews and demos available so that you can see exactly where the fire button is. My favorite reviewer is PBusardo, who has his own You Tube channel.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
It think it depends on how one likes to hold the tube. If you hold it like a popsicle, then you probably prefer a side button. But if you hold it in the crevice between your thumb and index finger (like a nunchuck), then the bottom button is right there where your finger is anyway.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
When I was getting my second, or third, MOD I started know my why around. People would mention a name and I would Google it and, also, search the following:

APV Discussion | E-Cigarette Forum

In the upper right, above your name is a search bar to put your interest in. People post about their purchases and positives and negatives.

The Innokin CoolFire IV is getting positive reviews, but it may not be to your need/liking. Do your research.

Good luck!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Haven't had mine for long but I'm really liking my iStick TC 40W. Bought it for tasting but liking it more and more for all day use. Side firing button, variable wattage. Temp control too but I haven't played with that much.
    image.jpg

+1 for @Baditude's PBusardo recommendation. I also recommend Pauly Meatballs. Great HD photos of the products from several angles and short reviews that allow you to easily view a large number of them in one sitting to narrow down your choices. Then you can go to PBusardo, Mark Todd, Rip Trippers, etc., for more comprehensive reviews.

Inni

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Pasadena, California, US
    Most mechanical mods use a bottom fire button. I don't like them either. They're unnatural and a safety hazard in my opinion.

Most regulated (adjustable power) mods utilize a side fire button. When interested in a particular mod, go to You Tube and type the name of that mod into their search. You'll find numerous video reviews and demos available so that you can see exactly where the fire button is. My favorite reviewer is PBusardo, who has his own You Tube channel.

Thank you! Great advice, and I will check out PBusardo.

Thanks all for your feedback/advice!

I have to admit, I'm peeking in at work - so I can't watch You Tube .... or at least, I can't listen to it. :p

I will have to wait until I get home to research! :2cool:

MIK3Y_D

Aug 2, 2015
    Hi all,

I've been looking at the various advertisements that pop up here, because I am looking to purchase a new ... "mod" - I think you call it. :)

I currently have/use a Kangertech Kbox/Subox mini and I'm a tootle puffer @ 8-10 watts average.

I'm big on flavor and smoothness - since nicotine does have a bite!

My question is -- I can't tell how they fire. I purchased one online, and when I got it - found out it fires from the bottom - and I hate those!

I'm looking for something smallish and simple to use - with a side fire button and adjustable watts.

Any advice is, as always, very much appreciated.

Vamo V7 and newer will fire sub ohm and push at least 40watts. I have many box mods and mechs but this thing is my favorite. I got mine brand new with 2 18350 batteries and a new protank3 with 2 coils for 20 bucks off craigslist. Most people think they won't go lower than 1.4 ohms, which is true for the older ones so they dump them for cheap. They're only about 30 bucks new.

Another honorable mention is the innokin itaste SVD version 1 or 2, 2 being better but all depending on how you will us it.

All of the above mods can use either 18650, or shorten down to 18350.

Reactions: Inni

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Crxess ~ ty for peeking out and for the advice! Good to know.

Mine is leaking again - my least favorite thing!

Mikey D ~ thank you! I will research those over the weekend.

I really want something sleek/small and leak free!

Rabbit --- LOL !! :p

I hate leaks.............but through much experimenting and trial/error have leaned to reduce them to a minimum.
    Wicking RTA's can be a Trial in patients or a real treat.

Inni

ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Pasadena, California, US
    I hate leaks.............but through much experimenting and trial/error have leaned to reduce them to a minimum.
    Wicking RTA's can be a Trial in patients or a real treat.

By all means, feel free to share your learnings :) Anything I can do to reduce / minimize leaking is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to eventually try to wick/re-build, etc .. simply because I love to tinker, it will save me money, and it seems like fun.

I can well imagine that it requires patience and tenacity. :cool: I think I have a lot to learn, so I'm not quite ready to dive in .. but it's on my bucket list. :D

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2014
    Maryland
    you could learn it with a cheap RDA. Then you have a large build deck, don't have to worry about leaking tanks, can switch out top caps if you feel like it, can rebuild the whole thing without figuring out what to do with a tank filled with juice, and can even switch to different flavors on a whim. IMO, its a more versatile way to vape without the hassle of tanks.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    By all means, feel free to share your learnings :) Anything I can do to reduce / minimize leaking is greatly appreciated!

I'm going to eventually try to wick/re-build, etc .. simply because I love to tinker, it will save me money, and it seems like fun.

I can well imagine that it requires patience and tenacity. :cool: I think I have a lot to learn, so I'm not quite ready to dive in .. but it's on my bucket list. :D

The only things I can offer on a replaceable head tank(subtank/etc.) are:
    Make sure everything is snugged good to avoid air leaks - air in=liquid out
    Smooth draws with lower suction - heavy draws pull more liquid from tank
    If gurgling, open Air flow a bit to avoid flooding out
    If not in use for long periods, store upside down to keep liquid from wicking out(gravity)
    Maintain a high enough heat to properly vaporize liquid
    Keep Q-tips handy for condensation build up.
    :)

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    As far as I know there are no regulated mods with bottom firing buttons and if it is a regulated mod then you should also have an LED or OLED display on it. But my guess is you bought a mech mod.

No offense, but you sound like too much of a noob to be using a mech mod and it sounds like what you were looking for was a regulated mod. If, on the other hand, you were looking for a mech mod, then you need to buy a box mech mod as all tube mech mods are going to have a bottom firing button.

Next time, come here and ask questions before you buy something. If you bought it at a local B&M, bring it back and tell them you did not want a mech and demand they exchange it for a regulated mod. If you are an 8-10 watt vaper, I would suggest going with an iStick 20W or 30W. I also suggest you just buy online because most B&M shops rape you, but I am biased because all the B&Ms in my area aren't worth buying from.

Reactions: vjdossey
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread