How have you handled this around your Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh

Nov 15, 2010
Oregon
So I have a 2 and a 4 year old. They know I smoke, but have never really seen me smoke (I go outside, and never smoke near them). I have never really worried about them around my smokes(Except that one time they decided it would be fun to break a whole pack in 1/2). The lighters are child proof, cigarettes as food is obviously disgusting, so no worries before. Now I am looking at moving to something that...
1. I can do indoors, and technically in their presence (not sure if I will)
2. Has no childproofing
3. Potentially tastes like candy.

So obviously I will be making sure I don't leave anything laying around, all juices and what not will be stored out of reach, etc. etc.

But for those of you with small children who have done this for awhile, please share your tips and stories if you have time.

Thanks!

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I have things in high places where I know she cant climb or reach, I treat my juice as a cleaning product or anything I wouldnt want my kids to touch.
My 4 yr old first yelled at me for smoking in the house because I never had, then was curious for a few days. I told her that this was like cigarettes and she was not to touch them and they could make little kids sick. I don't talk about the flavors in front of her so she isnt curious about that. Now she just comments if I get a new vizer (her word for vaporizer) since I have become a collector over the last yr and half there are plenty to notice. Other then when I get a new one she pays no attention to them or the stuff.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
My children are a little older, with one almost not a "child" anymore. They knew I smoked. They know I vape. I discuss the difference.

I lock my supplies in a lock box. Since you've got smaller ones, a top shelf in a closet will probably work until you find one. But I wouldn't wait too long. I already had a couple, so it was easy for me. I'm actually looking to move into one of my old briefcases. LOL

I didn't smoke around them, and I don't vape around them. If we're outside, I did smoke, and I do vape in their presence though. Just not "around" them.

If you have pets, or ever do get pets. Remember to keep them safe too.

Meh, it could get really sticky getting into details, but that's the gist of it.

IrishGirl

Oct 29, 2010
El Paso
I don't vape in the presence of my grandchildren, 4, 2 and 1 because it looks too much like smoking and even with the blue light looks a little too cool. I do think we need to be very careful with the supplies. My grandchildren don't live with me, but I did notice I was being very careless and leaving everything laying around. I would never leave a pack of cigarettes down that my Yorkies may get a hold of because I knew one cigarette eaten could be very serious for 4 pound dogs. They haven't shown any interest in my sweet flavors, but I am being more careful now just in case.

FreakyStylie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2010
The Internet
Lockbox definitely seems to be the way to go, I will pick one up soon. No liquid yet, as my eGo is in the mail, hoping the 5 cartomizers it comes with will last till the next week, but I'm thinking not the more I read on here. Probably need to go order one of those sampler packs.

Don't forget to check this out: E Cigarette Suppliers Forum It's waaaaaay down on the main page. Suppliers post sales and stuff there. It's a good way to save some cash.

Dooter

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2010
Gilbert, AZ
I've got a nearly 3 yr old... She's seen me smoke outside, and knows what a cigarette is. Heartbreaking when she would say "Oh, you gonna go outside and smoke a cig'ret, Mommy?" :( Makes ya feel like a real heel!

Vaping - I've been doing that indoors, and she thinks it's a cigarette (I haven't attempted to correct her on that)... Actually, I've been vaping for 3 weeks now, and I'm finding more and more that I'm trying to NOT do it around her, because I think I still feel guilty about it. :facepalm:

Obviously, I keep all my stuff up and out of her vision and reach. I think I'm going to invest in some sort of locking tacklebox thingie soon.

Princessa

ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2010
TN
When my sister in law comes to town, we would always step outside to "check the air in the tires". Such safety-conscious people... of course, as she gets older, she caught on and always wants to come outside with us.

Can't wait to see if a 510 or eGo might help her. As soon as Liberty-Flights has more Riva's in, I think I know what I'm getting someone for Christmas ;o) Of course, now that I've said this here, I can't point her here until I've at least ordered it for her!

Wilvin

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
.... Rapids,Mn
I agree keep it out of reach or locked up. As to the sweet juices, don't tell them what the flavor is. Or if you are afraid that you might leave it around and they might try it, pretending to be you. maybe you show vape a flavor that kids will not like. Like a strong tobacco flavor or something else that if they do try it it will taste nasty to them and they will not do it again.

Sense Field

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2010
Nomad
I have a 3.5 year old Niece and I'm very protective of her when it comes to her exposure to my "Nicotine habit"

When I smoked, I would shower before going over to visit her in order to remove any smell from my skin and hair, and I would always wear clean clothing. According to doctors that I have spoken with, the smoke particles that stay in your clothing, on your skin and hair and could be harmful to children. Maybe my precautions were excessive, but I would rather be excessive when it comes to protecting children.

So...now I vape. It's bit easier to protect her. I do take my PV over when I visit her (and my new born Nephew!) but I go outside and well out of view if I want to grab a "Vape". This can be tricky because sometime she wants to keep me in her line of sight all the time.

Anyway...my advice is a lock box...a high up place...and I wouldn't do it infront of children or let them even see the PV so that they might become curious. I would go outside or do it when they are not in the room. Stuff like that.

It may not be convient, but I would rather be inconvenienced then assume that they understand at such a young age that you are doing a "grown up thing".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread