How is it safe for VV/VW devices to push amp limits when it isn't for a mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nillythejew

Mar 25, 2014
Texas
Hi all. A couple nights ago I decided to try out the ipv3's ability to go down to .08 ohms, and built a coil at exactly that ( fluctuating between .08 - .09 ). I've been running it at 150W and it's working well aside from the massive battery sag, but I couldn't help but wonder about the safety of this... I am using VTC5s, which are rated for 30 amps. This wattage and coil are pushing 44 amps. Why is this any safer than running the same build on a mech mod? Nobody at my B&M will touch a mech mod with a build this low, but has no problem puffing away when it's on a regulated device.. Isn't this just as dangerous as with an unregulated device? Should i be pushing my ipv3's limits? Thanks in advance - lots of helpful, kind people here. :)

Strangebrew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2012
NE Tennessee
Well because its regulated and has built in protection from over heating, shorting, etc. A mech has nothing in between that atty and the battery. It'll heat up and keep heating up as long as you let it and here comes the boom...
excessive current thru the "Roller" switch housing became hot enough to distort the bore for the silver-plated Contact Rod...next boom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread