How often should I clean Kanger Coils + Hamburgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexmot

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2015
Louisiana, USA
Your coils will let you know when it's time for a good cleaning / change. A lot of factors play into coil lifespan.

Generally, it will involve one or more of the following:
. reduced flavor / vapor output
. bad / burnt taste
. darkening of clear liquid as you reach the bottom of the tank
. juice leaking from the bottom of the coil (not burning enough juice due to gunk)

Reactions: thatrandy

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    In the case of really cleaning coils, doing it more often will make it easier and better. So, more often than waiting until it really needs replacement.

I don't know how you're cleaning them, though. The main effective way I know of is to remove the wicks, dry burn (pulses only to avoid destroying the insulator, rinse while hot, dry burn again, rewick with cotton. I used to do this often but now I keep not being able to get the old wick out if it has more than a few hours of use. I'm tending towards rewicking coils straight out of the box and once more if it's not too horrendous by the time I pull them out.

EBates

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    This is the process I used when I was using Kanger t3s, protank coils

Soak in 91% Isopropyl alcohol or everclear over night or until I get 5-6 to clean.
    Rinse throughly with warm tap water forcing water into the wick area.
    Towel dry and blow out any water.
    Mount the head on a tank base.
    Remove the gasket and stem.
    Remove the flavor wick(s).
    Mount the tank base with the atomizer head on your PV.
    Dry burn 6 watts, 5 seconds on/off. Repeat until coils are all turning red and wick is clean.
    Blow the burned off crud away.

Hold the flavor wick with tweezer while burning them with a lighter or torch until wick is clean.
    -Place the flavor wick back on top of the coil.
    Or
    -Replace the flavor wick with the material of your choice.

Reinstall the stem and gasket.

Sorry but I don't recommend cleaning Hamburgers using this method

Reactions: OcalaFlGuy

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 19, 2014
    Ohio
    I used to clean mine every night. I had two per tank. I took out the one I used all day, rinsed it, blotted it and put it in alcohol over night. Put a clean one in my tank. In the morning I took out the one that was soaking, rinsed it again in hot water, blotted it and blew out the water. Then set it on a paper towel to dry. The next night that one went in my tank, and I repeated the process with the one I had been using. I could make two coils last a month.

Maiar

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 29, 2014
    Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    This is the process I used when I was using Kanger t3s, protank coils

Soak in 91% Isopropyl alcohol or everclear over night or until I get 5-6 to clean.
    Rinse throughly with warm tap water forcing water into the wick area.
    Towel dry and blow out any water.
    Mount the head on a tank base.
    Remove the gasket and stem.
    Remove the flavor wick(s).
    Mount the tank base with the atomizer head on your PV.
    Dry burn 6 watts, 5 seconds on/off. Repeat until coils are all turning red and wick is clean.
    Blow the burned off crud away.

Hold the flavor wick with tweezer while burning them with a lighter or torch until wick is clean.
    -Place the flavor wick back on top of the coil.
    Or
    -Replace the flavor wick with the material of your choice.

Reinstall the stem and gasket.

Sorry but I don't recommend cleaning Hamburgers using this method

What he said. Another thing I do sometimes is throw them all in a pot of boiling water for 20 minutes or so. That should get most of the gunk off. That won't work very well for coils that you've been using non stop for a week or so which is what I've been doing lately. You can also get some organic cotton for super cheap and just remove the flavor wicks and gently pull the wick out from the coil. Then dry burn and blow away the crap, then re coil it with the cotton. You shouldn't need a flavor wick with this method. And as long as the coil fires fine, you can rewick it as many times as you like. Just make sure you never dry fire with the cotton in there, it will burn up unlike the silica that comes standard.

Reactions: crunchie812
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread