I HAVE A QUESTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony zucco

Aug 14, 2015
Ok, well i just got my 1st rda, its a troll, on a smpl mod, my question is, how many wraps would i wrap to get .8ohms on a duel coil 24 gauge , i think the vape shop i go to has me at .5 (5 wraps) with 24 gauge kenthal and it is seriousky kills my battery in a hour is that normal? Its a vtc 4, im very new to rdas and i have been on steam engin caulculator and it really confuses me! For target resistance i put .8 and it says 30 wraps that dont seem right!! Please help!!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
.8 is a good place to be on that rig; maybe a little too high even. @Mooch is right about using Steam Engine, but if you're really after .8 in a dual set up, you need two 1.6 coils. 24 ga is far too big to achieve that and have it be a functional coil. I just hit Steam Engine myself for that. On a 2mm mandrel you'd need a pair of 24/23 wrap coils. On 3mm you'd need 18/17s. The problem with coils that long is the coil will burn the juice out of the wick before it can get to the center of the coil and you'll get dry hits all the time. Ideally, you want your wraps to be in the 5-10 range. 28 ga will give you a very nice 8/7 wrap system. I used to use that very one for my car mod. It was a MMV Nanos 18350, and .8 was a low as I wanted to go on it. Those coils work very nicely. I usually coil my drippers in the .5-.7 range for a single battery tube mod. And have a care with that SMPL. They're famous for causing a short at the battery top because they have no center pin. Make sure your topper has a clearly protruding center post that can contact the battery positive pole without coming close to the outer 510 threads. I guarantee you a short right there will ruin your day, and your mod and maybe your hands and face.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
id like to run .8ohms all together, lol sorry I'm to new at this
That's what he's telling you. .8 all together means each half of the dual system has to be double the value. For a dual coil set up to total .8, you need two 1.6 Ohm individual coils.

Anthony zucco

Aug 14, 2015
now that u mention that on my troll the 510 screw is super loose and it is always pushed up as far as it will go, even If I screw it down my battery pushes it back up, I called and they are sending me a new one, so I prob ruined my batt lol, what would u recommend for a cheap mod that would run my troll better and more safe?

Reactions: mamabear15

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    No worries. It's quite confusing at the start.
    If you want 0.8 ohms with two parallel coils you'll need each coil to be at 1.6 ohms. Try Steam Engine using that value for a single coil.

I think you'll find that with 24AWG wire that you'll need a lot of wraps. Try it with 28AWG, or perhaps even smaller wire (the higher the gauge number, the smaller the wire).

If you only want to use 24AWG, you might want to consider only running a single 0.8 ohm coil...or lower resistance. 24AWG typically limits you to low-ohm builds because higher ohm builds take up too much room.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    now that u mention that on my troll the 510 screw is super loose and it is always pushed up as far as it will go, even If I screw it down my battery pushes it back up, I called and they are sending me a new one, so I prob ruined my batt lol, what would u recommend for a cheap mod that would run my troll better and more safe?
    Well said! I hate those SMPLs and would not have one in the house. I strongly suggest a plain Jane Nemesis clone. You can get one for 10 or 15 bucks and they are fine, hard hitting pieces of gear. I have, no joke, 4 or 5 of them in different finishes, and I use them all the time.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Ok, well i just got my 1st rda, its a troll, on a smpl mod, my question is, how many wraps would i wrap to get .8ohms on a duel coil 24 gauge , i think the vape shop i go to has me at .5 (5 wraps) with 24 gauge kenthal and it is seriousky kills my battery in a hour is that normal? Its a vtc 4, im very new to rdas and i have been on steam engin caulculator and it really confuses me! For target resistance i put .8 and it says 30 wraps that dont seem right!! Please help!!

1: for your first rda, the last mod you should use is the fakehybrid SMPL mod, which is a recipe for explosions in the hands of new users.
    I'd suggest you get a regulated mod.

2: I wonder why you have decided on 0.8 ohms?
    You shouldn't decide the ohms and the gauge.
    You decide the ohms, then figure out the gauge, or the better way is decide the gauge, then figure out the ohms.

3: 0.5 ohms kills your battery in an hour:
    That's about 30 watts.
    a 2000 mAh battery can deliver
    8 Watthours = 8 watts for 1 hour
    or 32 watts for 15 min.
    So yes, If you vape about 4 vapes a minute, your battery will be depleted in an hour at 30 watts.

your mech won't be able to power 0.8 ohm 24gauge dual coil

try this instead
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
    0.6 ohm 24gauge single coil, 26 watts, 3mm ID, 6 wraps.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Ok i just went to the local vape shop and got 28 gauge wire, and a coil jig, on steam engin it says 7.5 wraps on a duel coil is that total or all together???
    Depends on how you set up steam engine. If you told it dual coils, then it wants 7.5 wraps on each coil. If you told it singles, then it wants just one at that wrap.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread