I need help understanding OCC vs RBA for my new Kanger Subox Mini that I am buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
So I am going to purchase a kanger subox mini very soon, but I am confused because the page says that you have the option of OCC or rba for it. There is a part that mentions making wicks but I am not sure if that is only required for one of the two (occ or rba). If someone could explain both of these and if I need to make a wick for each I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Reactions: NealBJr

kartoffelfaust

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2015
USA
You can buy pre-made coils (OCC), or you can build your own in the RBA section. Your choice. I only use the latter. Some don't like to mess with it, and just pick up the pre-made ones.

Edit: To clarify, the subtank mini comes with both - usually two pre-made coils + RBA section. Wick and wire is only required for using the rebuildable part.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
So I am going to purchase a kanger subox mini very soon, but I am confused because the page says that you have the option of OCC or RBA for it. There is a part that mentions making wicks but I am not sure if that is only required for one of the two (occ or rba). If someone could explain both of these and if I need to make a wick for each I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

OCC stands for Organic Cotton Coil, RBA stands for ReBuildable Atomizer. OCC coils come pre-built and are designed so that when it gets used up, you insert another one and throw away the old one. The RBA section is designed to be rebuilt when it gets used too much. There could be some confusion with the subtank mini, since the OCC coils can also be easily rebuilt even though they're not designed to.

I don't have the RBA part for my subtank clones, and I don't think I'll get one. I did buy a pack of five OCC coils, and I rebuilt them to my specifications. The OCC coils aren't as big, and allow your tank to hold more juice. By default, the Subtank mini comes with both an OCC coil and an RBA coil.

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
You can buy pre-made coils (OCC), or you can build your own in the RBA section. Your choice. I only use the latter. Some don't like to mess with it, and just pick up the pre-made ones.

Edit: To clarify, the subtank mini comes with both - usually two pre-made coils + RBA section. Wick and wire is only required for using the rebuildable part.

Ohhhh, I see now, and these are the prebuilt coils right?
KangerTech OCC Vertical Subtank Coil (5pack) - Replacement Heads - MyFreedomSmokes

would you reccomend learning how to build on the RBA section or should I stick with OCC?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
KangerTech OCC Vertical Subtank Coil (5pack) - Replacement Heads - MyFreedomSmokes

would you reccomend learning how to build on the RBA section or should I stick with OCC?

Building on the build deck (RBA) for the Subtank Mini is easy. It will come with a .5 ohm coil already in it and a small pkg of cotton that you can cut and put in the coil. If you're interested in saving money building your coils is the way to go, plus you can build to whatever resistance you desire. Use this link to determine how to build the coil resistance.
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Yes those are the correct coils for the Subtanks by Kanger.

Reactions: newbieguy123

Moonlitwish

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2015
Charlotte, NC, USA

jb58

Aug 14, 2015
The kit will come with 2 OCC coils, a .5 and a 1.5. It will also have a RBA deck that has a .5 ohm coil already installed and a extra coil, cotton, extra screws and screw driver. All you have to do to use the RBA deck is wick the coil. I have had the oldest of my 3 tanks for about 2 months and haven't had to put a new coil in it yet, I have re-wicked it numerous times. A pack of cotton even from a B&M is only about 4 bucks and I am still on my first pack.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I would suggest that you try building on the RBA Section.

And that is what I think makes the Subtank Mini a Great Setup. You can Build your Own Coils/Wick on the RBA Section, but if things go South, you can always screw in the OCC Head and have something that works.

Building Coils Isn't Hard. But it does to a Little Practice to find what works best for a Person. Being able to Fall Back to the OCC is Great. Because there is No Rush in getting a RBA Right. And you can Tinker with the RBA as much or as little as you Like.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
Have also just recently found out that you can use the ProTank 2 coils as a substitute in the SubTank mini.

I also rebuild the OCC coils as well as the RBA deck, but not efficient at it yet. Am a whiz at rebuilding the PT 2 coils with 30 guage Kanthal and cellu cotton at 1.5 to 1.8 ohms. Use middle hole in the air flow controller.

So, if you're caught short of OCC coils and don't do builds yet, the PT 2 coils will do in a pinch for Tootle Puffing. No leaks after 3 tanks which seem to hold a bit more as the PT2 coils are smaller; and because the wick sits lower in the tank, I've vaped the tank practically dry. :)

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.

Sorry for the late reply, It's labor day weekend, I am a baker, and I've been putting extra time in making some rolls.

It's fully up to you. OCC coils offer a worry free setup. Simply put the coils in and go. Like others have said, they offer a low resistance and a high resistance coil. The low resistance coil uses more power, and produces more vapor. The higher resistance coil uses less power and provides less vapor. I would find out which coil you prefer before ordering replacements.

Now, What zoidman said was absolutely true. Rebuilding the coil yourself is worth giving a try if you don't mind a little tinkering. using the RBA section allows you to essentially make your own resistance coils to suit your wants. It's not as hard as you think, and it's part of the hobby aspect of vaping. And like what Zoidman says, if you aren't quite getting things right, just screw in an OCC coil and work on it another day. That's why I love the Kanger subtanks.

Also, building the RBA is much cheaper. A 100' roll of 28 gauge kanthal would cost me $4.50, and that would be for the 1.2 - 1.5 ohm range. Same with 26 gauge. (.7-1.0 range) and 24 gauge will be a bit more. I usually get my wire from Lightning Vapes, and he's been my go-to source for wire. Cotton can be cheap as well, maybe $10 and that lasts me several months. Of course any failures, and most of the time you are the only one to blame. :)

So, yes, if you want to lay with the RBA section, I do recommend it. If anything, it gives you a better idea of what is going on with an Ecig.

newbieguy123

Sep 5, 2015
Thank you everyone for you replies, I did go ahead and buy 2 5 packs of the OCC coils in .5 ohm resistance, but after I expire those I think I am going to try to learn how to build my own coils and build on the RBA deck, especially sense it seems like it is A LOT cheaper in the longer run. Again thank you everyone I appreciate everyone's willingness to help out a newbie like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread