I swear i've gone crazy...non-smoker wanting to start vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

valley20

Aug 12, 2013
Waaaay upstate NY
Hi there. I have posted in a few forums over the years and hate having to write my first "hello, newbie here" but here I am for a reason and reading is just not good enough so I am here to ask questions so "hello, my name is val..."

I feel like its almost blasphemy to be considering taking up vaping. I'm actually thinking about trying those disposable flavored e-cigs (is that considered vaping too?). I am a 45 year old happily married mom of 3, I used to smoke socially, maybe a pack a week. I quit for good about 12 years ago because at the time, I accidentally burned my 5 year old son one day outdoors when he walked into the end of my cigarette. I felt so horrible that I quit the next day after about 12 hours of beating myself up for it. My hubby is a pack-a-day smoker and we live near an Indian Reservation where he buys his smokes for $23 per carton. He only smokes outside. How he manages to smoke a pack a day and work 8 hours where smoking is not allowed is beyond me but he does it. I originally started looking at e-cigs for him because he wants to quit and just cant kick the habit. I have bought him 2 e-cigs and he says he really likes them but doesnt think they live up to the claim of "700 puffs" like the package claims...

...anyhoo back to me. I am 30 pounds overweight. I am pretty sure my body chemistry is starting to change because of my age. I dont lose weight like I have always been able to do (when I actually try ;) ) and I have gained tummy weight which I have never done before so I am seriously worried that I will never get rid of this extra weight. I am thinking of e-cigs with nicotine to help me stop my emotional eating, as well as helping me with the stress and anxiety that comes with having 2 teenagers and a 7 year old boisterous son! My main hope is to stop munching due to boredom or stress...my other hope is to have that little "something" to indulge in to calm my nerves instead of the glass of wine I have once a week or so, in addition to eating junk food. I'm not a big drinker or i'd just do that instead, lol! But drinking is adding calories too isnt it so while that would help my stress, it certainly would do little for the weight loss attempts.

I dunno, am I nuts here? If I do start using e-cigs, I will most likely use them secretly at first just to avoid the social stigma of being a "smoker". In talking to other people, I have found that non-smokers think they are ridiculous and smokers are ok with them. I'm ashamed to admit that I am worried about what people will think of me but I work at my son's elementary school and I work with special ed children. I just feel like I will be judged, ya know?

so, does anyone here vape (with nicotine) for weight loss and anxiety? What are you experiences?

Reactions: cckayne

valley20

Aug 12, 2013
Waaaay upstate NY
I wouldnt suggest starting,,,just me. Why start a new addiction?

lol, well I was hoping to replace another addiction (emotional eating) which in the long run, is going to kill me if I continue to gain weight. I already suffer from joint problems (a genetic inheritance) and the extra weight is hard on my lower back and knees. I just want to feel better....if e-cigs/vaping is not damaging to my body then why not?

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Since you are not addicted to nicotine now, I'd suggest NOT getting yourself addicted. Yes vaping might help you curb your emotional eating but, you don't need the nicotine to do that. There are a lot of really great flavors from caramel candy, to chocolates, vanillas fruits and even beverages and they don't need nicotine to taste great.

Yes a lot of people here are going to say don't vape at all and maybe that would be best for you but, it isn't my place to tell you "No, don't do it." it's your decision and, one option is vaping without nicotine but with the flavors that may help you stick yo a better diet so, if you do decide to do it, research, ask questions and, get a good starter kit and, try 0 nicotine flavors first.

valley20

Aug 12, 2013
Waaaay upstate NY
I think vaping helps my depression otherwise I'd probably just quit altogether. I think that nicotine has show to help with depression in studies, I'm not sure if vaping helps with weight loss or anxiety like cigs do but I guess you could argue that it's a myth that cigs help with anxiety.
Thanks for the input!

Thunderball

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2013
Grayson, Georgia
Just know what you are getting into before starting... Research are just starting to pop up about vaping and they are really positive but know that the long terms effect are still unknown.

Well said. This is exactly why. So far so good, but we just dont know yet. Good luck in your decision.

By the way, WELCOME to the forums !!

valley20

Aug 12, 2013
Waaaay upstate NY
Since you are not addicted to nicotine now, I'd suggest NOT getting yourself addicted. Yes vaping might help you curb your emotional eating but, you don't need the nicotine to do that. There are a lot of really great flavors from caramel candy, to chocolates, vanillas fruits and even beverages and they don't need nicotine to taste great.

Yes a lot of people here are going to say don't vape at all and maybe that would be best for you but, it isn't my place to tell you "No, don't do it." it's your decision and, one option is vaping without nicotine but with the flavors that may help you stick yo a better diet so, if you do decide to do it, research, ask questions and, get a good starter kit and, try 0 nicotine flavors first.
sounds reasonable. Thanks! I agree....I dont think its wise to go and get myself addicted to nicotine. Maybe its wishful thinking in hoping it might help stress. If vaping helped with the emotional eating...vaping might also be another thing to do instead of that glass of wine. Gotta admit...the first time I heard about chocolate flavored vaping, I drooled a little!! :oops:

istimewa

Jul 27, 2013
phoenix, az, usa
It's okay to be concerned with what other people may think of you. Most of us do care about that, to some degree or another. Admitting it, well that puts you a step ahead of the curve.

& while I can understand Thunderball's caution against starting an addiction, I can also see some logic in what you're thinking. Plus, if both you & your husband start vaping together, it may be more helpful for your husband in quitting the analogs.

For yourself, though, you may want to heed something of the warning & at least start out with zero nic juices. No reason to give yourself a nic habit that may not be satisfied by vaping (everyone is different). Plus, you could tell any non-smokers who are judgemental about vaping that you're only vaping zero nic & that you're doing it to help your husband quit smoking.

Just a thought...

begonia

Aug 12, 2013
New Jersey USA
so, does anyone here vape (with nicotine) for weight loss and anxiety? What are you experiences?

Sort of. I can only speak from (very) limited experience, having picked up this vaping thing very recently. I have also been a long time PAD smoker - one who has battled my weight my entire life.

Past (mostly pathetic) quitting attempts tended to result in a) being impossible to live with and b) eating anything that didn't move too quickly.

I don't know whether it's a function of replicating the hand-to-mouth action of smoking, or whether it has to do with satisfying something with really great-tasting juices, but with my PV in hand, I have a) no inclination to go looking for snacks and b) only rare urges to go smoke an analog.

It's okay to be concerned with what other people may think of you. Most of us do care about that, to some degree or another. Admitting it, well that puts you a step ahead of the curve.

& while I can understand Thunderball's caution against starting an addiction, I can also see some logic in what you're thinking. Plus, if both you & your husband start vaping together, it may be more helpful for your husband in quitting the analogs.

For yourself, though, you may want to heed something of the warning & at least start out with zero nic juices. No reason to give yourself a nic habit that may not be satisfied by vaping (everyone is different). Plus, you could tell any non-smokers who are judgemental about vaping that you're only vaping zero nic & that you're doing it to help your husband quit smoking.

Just a thought...

thank you so much for understanding. :) And yes...I hadnt thought of it until I read the cautions but thats what I am going to do - start with the zero nicotine and see if that helps. I can always try out my hubby's version if mine arent cutting it for me. I could easily see him trying some of my flavors himself. It could very well help him.

Sort of. I can only speak from (very) limited experience, having picked up this vaping thing very recently. I have also been a long time PAD smoker - one who has battled my weight my entire life.

Past (mostly pathetic) quitting attempts tended to result in a) being impossible to live with and b) eating anything that didn't move too quickly.

I don't know whether it's a function of replicating the hand-to-mouth action of smoking, or whether it has to do with satisfying something with really great-tasting juices, but with my PV in hand, I have a) no inclination to go looking for snacks and b) only rare urges to go smoke an analog.

awesome...especially hearing that it has in fact affected your hand to mouth "need" "habit" or whatever you define it as. I often find myself munching away, not being hungry at all but just NEEDING something to do. I'm not in good shape so exercise isnt very appealing for me (yet - my 18 year old daughter has invited me to try yoga with her so i'm sure that will help as well!)

totally lol'd at your "eating anything that didnt move too quickly" comment! :D

Daniel13

ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Ohio
my girlfriend is diabetic and she likes to vape bakery flavors every now and then to keep her away from sweets (i understand that completely) of course she gets 0nic and it's very occasional i mean like maybe once every 2 weeks.

i've even heard of people picking up vaping (again 0 nic) to lose weight, get a flavor you like and vape it when you're driving by fast food restaurants just to avoid stopping at one. i can understand that too.

and once you're husband gets a good setup and starts to enjoy it like we all do, he'll enjoy talking about it so it'd be good if you understood the stuff too

just my 2 cents

debcartee

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 11, 2013
Spokane WA
I didn't smoke very much maybe two or three cigarettes a day. I always felt better when I had a cigarette because my stress level is so high. I switch to vaping about 2 years ago. While it has not helped my weight any, it does help my anxiety level. My thought is to start with 0 nicotine, and if you need something a little more try 2 to 4 milligrams. Good luck and keep us posted, and welcome to the forum.

piggy

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2013
New York
I used to be a closet smoker, now I'm sort of a closet vapor. Why not try that yoga class for stress and if you need a little more of a picker upper try the 0 nic juices. Controlling the munchies with vaping is not a guarantee though. For some it works and for others it actually gives the munchies.
Exercise doesn't have to be hard either. I'm overweight and can't do the grueling workouts like I used to when I was younger. You just need a motivational kick start and work on your own pace while building up intensity gradually. Eventually your exercise will feel to you as something you must do if time permits. Think of your motivational kick starter as bonding time with your daughter, and take it from there.
Good Luck and welcome to ECF.

MrsKite

Jul 22, 2013
Orlando, Florida
Here's my 2 cents.. I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago after smoking for 36 years.. I started vaping about a month ago. I totally understand your thoughts on weight loss and the stress of family. Even though I had already kicked the nasty, smelly habit.. I too was looking for something to indulge in.

Vaping gives me something to do instead of eating.. yup the nicotine does work as appetite suppressant for me. Instead of snacking at night I sit and drip, changing flavors constantly. I've also been clean and sober for over 15 years.. I know about addiction. 1 flavor is too many and 1000 is never enough.. lol.
The belly fat comes with age and over indulging in sugar.. one of the most abused substances. I exercise 4 days a week, and eat low carb. I've lost 40 pounds over the past year but find myself on snack binges for weeks at a time which results in a 7 pound increase.. vaping keeps idle hands busy and the flavors keep my satisfied.
Just my thoughts.. your a grown woman you can choose as you like.

you have all been incredibly helpful! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences, the warm welcomes, and the advice/cautions/tips. I still dont know if I will take the plunge or not. I've already gotten myself overwhelmed with the info I have been reading. Who knew there was so much involved...flavors, parts, accessories, kits, disposables, DYI liquids....oh my!!! If I do start, it will definitely be with something flavored, 0 nic, and disposable just to see if my palate likes it. MrsKite has a good point: addiction is addiction, be it nicotine or no nicotine. I dont want to go hogwild..but I really feel like I want to try something different than the same old "comforts" I turn to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread