I'm a newbie with an Ego Tank that whistles at me (and not in a good way)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hi everyone,

I'm rather new here, and somehow finding my way around the forum. I posted a problem with my Ego T awhile back, but I think it got lost in the shuffle from all but a few.

Here is some background and the explanation of the problem:

I'm smoke-free for 3 weeks, 2 days and 12 hours! (smoker for 30+ years)

I quickly moved from the 510 to a box mod then to the ego tank. I keep reading and reading trying to find someone who is experiencing the same issue I have with it. So far, I have not.

My issue with the ego t is with the whistle tip! When I take a draw on it, I get a constant shot of cold air against my tongue or any part of my mouth to which it is pointing. The vape is cold, too airy, and the flavor is minimal. I have tried putting a fingertip over one of the air holes on the battery end of the atty, and that only helps a little bit. If I hit on it quickly (as in several primer puffs), that helps a bit, but all in all, it's not a very tasty or comfortable vape.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any other tips that can be used on the tank? Any way to warm it up? Is this a tank problem or possibly an atty problem?

I wanted to love this immediately, but I think we're still in the courting phase ;-)

My best to you all. Feels good to know I've got a community that understands not smoking. (By the way... I never wanted to quit. I loved smoking, but the technology of vaping was just too damm interesting to pass up! So, it just, welp, happened ;-)

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
The eGo-T is known to be a bit cooler than other PV's.

I do recommend, if you're feeling it hit inside your mouth, that you slow down your drags. Drags on an eGo-T should take about 4-5 seconds to get a full mouth of vapor. If you're pulling harder than that, you're missing out on what it can do.

Raising the voltage would mean getting a new battery or modbox to fit the atomizer. You should check out the Modders forum if you are interested in that.

Pneathery

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Surfside Beach SC
Have you cleaned the atty yet? I don't know how long you've been using this atty, or what juice you're using.
I'm with you, 3 weeks ago today was my first day tobacco free. I started vaping a Joye 510 that my wife had bought a year or so ago, something like that. Anyway I went from that to a Joye 510Mega. I was looking for longer battery life, and not having to refill ALL THE TIME. I didn't research ANYTHING, so I bought two of those Mega kits, one for me and one for the wife (@$70.00 a kit :-( ). I used that for a couple days, and was getting ALOT better battery life, it went from a half an hour to at the most 2 hours. By then (start of week two) I had found out ALOT more about what I was doing, and what I wanted. So I spent $30 on a T-Rex (a Joye Ego clone) kit from esmokeronline.com. I was VERY happy I now had 8+ hours per battery, and the only good thing to come out of the Mega kit was the Mega Atty/Cart's that came with them. Those carts held at least twice as much juice as the regular 510 carts. But then I started reading about the Joye Ego-T's, I knew that this was a game changer, I was SO tired of those "filter hits", you know, when the carts weren't wicking, and it was starting to get the taste of the fibre, man that is nasty, so I somehow actually talked my wife into letting me spend yet more money, and bought a Tank atty, and 5 carts from liberty flights ($22 delivered) it took 5 LONG business days to get here, and then it wouldn't work on my T-Rex batteries I was ready to pull my hair out, I had to use a piece of tin foil to go between the atty and battery to make the battery co ection, after that, man o man did I ever fall in love, I let my wife try it, and showed her how it worked, no more taking the carts and dripping juice into the fibre, no more little pieces of toilet paper to wipe up all of those little drops of juice, she fell in love with the idea at that, and after using it for an hour, I ended up ordering two Joye Ego-T kits from iVape.net ($59 each, GREAT PRICE).
Now when I got that first tank atty from liberty flights, I blew it out, threaded end to cartridge end, I then dropped 10 drops of Desert Ship into the little hole on the threaded end, let it sit for a minute, then blew that through the same way, I repeated that step 5 or 6 more times, and blew the other way once very gently, then I dripped in one more time, and didn't blow that out. Put the new cart (that I filled with the same desert ship) on it, took some of those primer puffs I had read about, then found out all about the battery not working, anyway that was on tuesday of this week. Every day I do the same blowing out, and reprimeing it every day, the first time I did that I couldn't believe the very dark juice that came out of that atty, since then I've been doing it sometimes three times a day, especially if I'm vaping something with ALOT of flavor, like a menthol.
After I did that the first time the vapor production got better, hell everything got better about it. that being said, I also have the same damn whistling coming out of the cart, and I find I get the BEST vapor when I chain VAPE (which is what I normally do anyway, I just have to be careful with this atty/cart combo, if I draw as hard as I normally would do with a normal 510 atty I end up flooding the tank atty, and the cart drains all over my battery/myself) but it is usually the third to fifth pull off of it that I'm REALLY getting some good hot VAPE. The first two in a row, pretty much suck, hell the first drag I don't really have ANY vapor to speak of.
Now today is me having this atty working heavy duty for 3-4 days, and my vapor production was WAY down from where it was when it was new, and this is with all of that blowing out I was talking about, that and EVERY JUICE TASTES THE SAME NOW, except for some REALLY potent ones, like menthol, cinnamon, honey really strong juice I can taste, but my all day VAPE (desert ship) I really like it, I think it is subtle, but complex, I get some sweet, just a little, some nuttiness to it, and finally tobacco. However today I noticed none of it, and was getting very tired of that bland VAPE. I had some RY4, that I could barely discern, it was there, but just barely.
So around ten or so I did my normal blowing out, then got the tap water as hot as it would go, and started rinsing it out. Same way, I started on the wider threaded end, and blew it through, he'll I just let it drip through too sometimes, but I properly spent 10 minutes going both ways with the atty and the hot water. You have to be careful I heard, blowing from the top down, apparently you can blow the wick down INTO the atty without even realizing you have done it, and that atty is ruined. Anyway after giving it a good bath in hot water I made sure to blow it out really well, then I used a paper towel and dried everything I could, and then re-primed it with juice. Put a freshly filled cart on it, and let that soak in pretty well, then sat there doing the priming puffs, then started vaping it. I wasn't inhaling it. But I did that on and off for an hour, before I went back to using it. That was night and day. TONS OF VAPOR, AND TONS OF FLAVOR out of my desert ship again.
A couple more things, the darker the juice you use/the sweeter juice you use, the more gunned up the atty will become sooner, also I don't know what your mix is, these were made for 70/30 PG/VG. That is supposed to be the magic spot.
I hope this helps, if you managed to read this far!
Sorry I ramble on, and on, and on. It is the way I have to communicate if it is wrighten word. I'm not like this if I talk, just if I wright.
My wife might argue with that though.
Well good luck!
And I'll quit babbling now.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Not to sound too negative of the eGo-T, but that is why I decided to trade it off a couple of days ago. Some people love it, others can take it or leave it. It just didn't compare to dripping and using lr cartos in my opinion.

I completely agree with you. I drip on a Bartleby (with LR attys). NO comparison. Sorry Ego T fans :)

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
The eGo-T is known to be a bit cooler than other PV's.

I do recommend, if you're feeling it hit inside your mouth, that you slow down your drags. Drags on an eGo-T should take about 4-5 seconds to get a full mouth of vapor. If you're pulling harder than that, you're missing out on what it can do.

Raising the voltage would mean getting a new battery or modbox to fit the atomizer. You should check out the Modders forum if you are interested in that.

What IS the voltage on the ego T battery (mine is 1000 mah)?

Does anyone know of a mod that uses the Ego T atty?

kmac

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Louisiana
I have been using the ego t for about three weeks and have had similar problems. I just take a few primer puffs frequently when using and that seems to do the trick. You just suck slowly like you're taking a hit but don't activate the atty. This allows juice to flow into the atty. I do have to do it a lot but it helps a lot especially if you are getting a burnt or plastic taste instead of flavor. Also every few days I rinse my attys with hot water, blow out, let dry, prime the same way and good to go.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Reply to Pneathery...

Yes, I always clean all my attys.

Sounds like you're using a lot of juice to clean out the atty. I find as a newbie that it's very confusing to see that some people say to blow out the atty from the threaded end, and others insist to blow it out from the bridge end.

I managed to read to the end! :))

Last edited:

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I am new as well, and don't mean to ask what may seem a really stupid question - but are you sure that the tank is completely seated on the atomizer? If you are getting a "whistle", is it possible that it isn't inserted all the way?

I don't think your question is stupid at all, and there might be another newbie that would benefit from your information. Yes, the tank is well-seated, and what I meant by "whistle" is the shot of cold air in my mouth when I hit on it. I definitely have to practice slower longer drags. I'm getting better at it.

Kelly2632

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2011
Buford, GA
I don't think your question is stupid at all, and there might be another newbie that would benefit from your information. Yes, the tank is well-seated, and what I meant by "whistle" is the shot of cold air in my mouth when I hit on it. I definitely have to practice slower longer drags. I'm getting better at it.

Gotcha! I tend to agree, then, that the intake is cooler than using a 510 (which is the only other PV I have). The benefits (longer battery life and less time filling) are what keep me using the eGo-T over my 510.

I hope you are able to find your happy middle of the road! :)

LastoftheBreed

ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2011
Oregon, USA
I got my Inferno Tank yesterday (same as the Ego) and have found that if I depress the manual button before bringing it to mouth to start my drag, it significantly improves the temp of the draw. Seems to give the atty a moment to really warm up. Increases flavor and TH as well. So far I'm loving this thing. Used it all day on just the 650mah, never even had to touch the 1000mah...lol and to think I decided on this model for the pass-through! Haven't used it once!

For those complaining of plastic taste with their Tanks, I recommend visiting Inferno's how-to section and watching the Tank video on cleaning the atty. I actually did this process with boiling water twice, until I could no longer smell the plasticy priming oil scent coming from the atty. Let it dry...haven't had a problem yet.

Pneathery

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Surfside Beach SC
Reply to Pneathery...

Yes, I always clean all my attys.

Sounds like you're using a lot of juice to clean out the atty. I find as a newbie that it's very confusing to see that some people say to blow out the atty from the threaded end, and others insist to blow it out from the bridge end.

I managed to read to the end! :))

Ya I go through ALOT of juice to clean it out, but on my first order of juice, I looked at all of the different strengths, (mind you I was a 3-5 PAD smoker) and ordered EVERYTHING IN 16MG! Doohh!! (as homer would say) so I'm now down to my last 30ML of Desert Ship, actually I'm now down to my last 15ml, but I hopefully should be getting 240ML of 24MG Desert Ship! YEAH!!!
I had been spending too much money on different juices when I first got started, and on Tuesday I took a good look at my juice situation, and realized that I had ONLY been ordering for my wife, plus some odd flavors for mixing, hopefully that 240 should last me for a few months, oh and the reason to be careful on the direction that you blow these attys out is because quite a few people have managed to blow the wick INTO the atty, and if you do that.......well thats pretty much by, by atty.
It's late, and I'm about to fall asleep standing typing. Have a good evening.
Presto

zombienerd

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
What IS the voltage on the ego T battery (mine is 1000 mah)?

Does anyone know of a mod that uses the Ego T atty?

Mine reads 3.4v (if I remember correctly)

Any 510 mod will work, but you have to buy a few adapters to make an "extender", from a place like azsmokefree.com

For example, get a 510 battery to rn4081 atty adapter, and a rn4081 battery to 510 atty adapter, screw them together, and it will extend it long enough to fit a T-atty on pretty much any 510 based modbox/flashlight/etc

Last edited:

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
I got my Inferno Tank yesterday (same as the Ego) and have found that if I depress the manual button before bringing it to mouth to start my drag, it significantly improves the temp of the draw. Seems to give the atty a moment to really warm up. Increases flavor and TH as well. So far I'm loving this thing. Used it all day on just the 650mah, never even had to touch the 1000mah...lol and to think I decided on this model for the pass-through! Haven't used it once!

For those complaining of plastic taste with their Tanks, I recommend visiting Inferno's how-to section and watching the Tank video on cleaning the atty. I actually did this process with boiling water twice, until I could no longer smell the plasticy priming oil scent coming from the atty. Let it dry...haven't had a problem yet.

But do you sense the cold air hitting the inside of your mouth/tongue (whichever way the tip is pointing)? It's not just the cold vape to which I'm referring.

Thanks.

Katdarling

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Have you tried the ego-T atty on your box mod? If it's a 3.7v mod it should warm up the vape a little.

Thought of doing that, Stosh, but I don't have a 510 extender. And for me it's not just the lack of warmth. It's the annoying "draft" that comes in thru the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread