In search of batteries.....FAIL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgraves66701

May 13, 2011
Kansas
Just had to relay a recent trip in search of some batteries.

My wife and I have been smoke free for over 2 years. On a recent trip to Kansas City, we stopped by a national chain store that sells batteries for everything. We were in need of some fresh batteries for our PV's (18650). We have an assortment of Ego-T Mods and eVics. As I waited I spied one lone 18650 no name (Numo) that I had never heard of. I asked the sales associate if he had any 18650 batteries other than the Numo brand. I explained it was for an electronic cigarette. He showed me the only one they had. I asked if it was protected because it was not specified on the packaging. He looked at me confused and asked what I meant. As I explained the whole PCB protection circuit he said he would check. I showed him a Trustfire and pointed to the side where the ridge of the wire was. He said that was just an overlap in the cover. He came back and said that this battery is what I needed. Still not knowing whether it was protected I asked again. He advised that protection was not needed and that protection only prevented the battery from being charged more than 3.6 volts. I looked at him puzzled and advised that that is not what a protection circuit is and besides only charging a 3.7 volt battery to 3.6 volts would make it worthless. I told him my charger and any other charger for these batteries charges the 3.7 volt battery to 4.2 volts. He continued to look at me puzzled. I ended the conversation by saying that he apparently was not familiar with these types of rechargeable batteries and thanked him for his time.

The only plus from this trip in the store was a good conversation with a couple of Sheriff deputies who were interested in asking me about 18650 batteries. He even showed me a photo or a buddy's flashlight that takes four 18650 batteries. They were unaware that 18650's came in anything higher than 2000 mAh.

I have a hard time with batteries that fit the Ego-T mods and the eVic. I purchased four EH 3000 mAh batteries from an online vendor and they do not fit either device. Why are all 18650's not the same diameter? Trustfire 2000's work, Samsung 2600 IMR's fit but afraid to waste my money on batteries that don't fit. I feel better with protected batteries even though the eVic does not require them.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I feel the pain, too. I went to a local battery store advertising that they sell "all" kinds of rechargeables. I needed some batteries for a GPS unit that takes a fairly standard set of rechargeables. The details aren't necessary, but the nice young gentleman explained that they had "similar" batteries in stock, but to get the flavor I wanted, it would have to be ordered from New York, take two weeks for delivery, and cost me twice what I would pay online.

Not during Hurricane season, pal.

I really don't think it's their fault. Sometimes, we need batteries that don't sell well or are just too specialized for what they can sell quickly. Most of these "all rechargeable" joints are selling batteries for cordless phones, baby monitors and other stuff in the mainstream of consumer commerce.

ETA: They did have one 100' spool of Kanthal ferrous 30ga resistance wire in stock. Covered in dust and their last spool. I bought it.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
"Bad vape store" mates with "Bad battery store" and there ya go.

Stock stuff in those places, yeah. Even then, stock (new) stuff that was made in the last 90 days. A few things, perhaps even. But beyond that...

It's just easier to get what you need on-line.

OP: I don't get why you are having a problem finding the right sizes? Are you talking about the eGo t2 APV that uses an 18650? Length is typically the far bigger issue with the batteries. Sounds like that vendor sold you an "other." Got a site URL for the problem batteries?

Last edited:

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I don't know if any of you live near a Fry's Electronics but they carry 18650's. Only non-vape specific brick and mortar I know of that does.

Sadly, there's not one anywhere near me.

I do however, have a Harbor Freight B&M in my neighborhood. I can't stay out of the place.

dgraves66701

May 13, 2011
Kansas
"Bad vape store" mates with "Bad battery store" and there ya go.

OP: I don't get why you are having a problem finding the right sizes? Are you talking about the eGo t2 APV that uses an 18650? Length is typically the far bigger issue with the batteries. Sounds like that vendor sold you an "other." Got a site URL for the problem batteries?

They are Joyetech Ego-T MOD. They have a tube and a control unit that screws on the top. 3.3 regulated or un-regulated. Been using them for over a year and originally purchased from Liberty-Flights. The tube is pretty standard size and appears to be the same size as the eVic but with no bottom cap. The EH 3000's that do not fit were purchased from MadVapes (EH Protected 18650 Battery, 3000mAh)

dgraves66701

May 13, 2011
Kansas
That should fit, assuming that the battery actually measures 18mm diameter as stated on the site. Can you measure it and check?

These cursed batteries drove me to buying digital calipers. But usually the problem is inconsistencies in batteries length, not diameter.

I may have to break down and buy a digital caliper. I do not have anything accurate enough to measure for sure. Here is what I've been able to gather from web searches. Most sites just show general specs of 18mm without fractions so it's difficult to ascertain the exact diameters.

Samsung 2600 mAh - 18.034 mm (fits easily)
Trustfire 2000 (White casing) - 18.2 mm (fits easily)
Trustfire 2400 (Flame casing) - ?? (barely fits)
EH 3000 mAh - 18.41 mm (does not fit)

I may just purchase a supply of the Samsung IMR 2600's or Pany's so no need for protection circuitry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread