Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I'm finding it difficult to understand this article and would appreciate it if someone could have a look at it for me. It seems to be saying that inhaling vitamin E reduces inflammatory lung illnesses.

Life%20Extension%20Daily%20News]Life Extension Daily News

If that's the case then it should be of interest to folk who vape and have lung problems. Putting some vit E in eliquid might turn out to be an easy way to deliver treatment.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
The question is how well does it absorb into the body.

Kate, kudos to you for looking for other alternatives out there.

Now if someone has problems breathing maybe they should assess what they are putting in their lungs all together. I bet if we put alburetol, or epi in our Ejuice then no one would have problems vaping.

Last edited:

bmacva

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Putting some vit E in eliquid might turn out to be an easy way to deliver treatment.

Very interesting article Kate! I started thinking that I could break open a Vitamin E gelcap and squeeze out the contents into a cart..... :D

I did some googling. It seems that the Vitamin E supplements you can buy over-the-counter are the alpha-tocopheryl acetate form which apparently had no impact on the study. Fact sheet on Vitamin E from NIH: Vitamin E

I also ran across this in my search. High doses of beta-carotene in smokers can increase the risk of lung cancer. Death Stalks Smokers in Beta-Carotene Study :shock:

taz3cat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2008
Port Arthur, Texas
Well those gell cap will not work that is for sure, it will have to be a soultion like I found I have not ordered any yet, I will look a round a bit more myself. We could get into a lot of medical trouble for ourselves with expermination.

I am still working on passon flower. I am doing ok, but I am still having some problems from being sick in December and don't want to add to the mix. My doctor did approve my trying the passion flower extract.

It tastes nasty, may have to find something strong tasting to take it in.

imogene

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2009
Savannah, GA
Okay, I just wrote this long reply just after loggin in and by the time I hit "submit" it asked me to log in again.

I found some related articles on aerosolized vitamin e:

Effect of vitamin E deficiency and supercritical fluid aerosolized vitamin E supplementation on interleukin-1-induced oxidative lung injury in rats

Supercritical fluid-aerosolized vitamin E pretreatment decreases leak in isolated oxidant-perfused rat lungs

I have been adding one drop of vitamin e oil to my cartridge, then just topping it off with my homemade ejuice all day. One drop of this vitamin e oil has 20.5 IU of vitamin E, almost an entire day's "dose". It tastes nutty. I like it.

I figure one $6 atty is worth sacrificing to see if it breaks or not from the "oil". I've already figured out how to declog my atty by vaping vodka when it become difficult to draw on and maybe that will work if the oil clogs it.

We'll see!

Adik Ted

ECF Veteran
Feb 25, 2009
Scotland
Okay, I just wrote this long reply just after loggin in and by the time I hit "submit" it asked me to log in again.

I found some related articles on aerosolized vitamin e:

Effect of vitamin E deficiency and supercritical fluid aerosolized vitamin E supplementation on interleukin-1-induced oxidative lung injury in rats

Supercritical fluid-aerosolized vitamin E pretreatment decreases leak in isolated oxidant-perfused rat lungs

I have been adding one drop of vitamin e oil to my cartridge, then just topping it off with my homemade ejuice all day. One drop of this vitamin e oil has 20.5 IU of vitamin E, almost an entire day's "dose". It tastes nutty. I like it.

I figure one $6 atty is worth sacrificing to see if it breaks or not from the "oil". I've already figured out how to declog my atty by vaping vodka when it become difficult to draw on and maybe that will work if the oil clogs it.

We'll see!

How did you get on with this experiment imogene. If it didn't clog up your atty I think I'd like to give it a try myself. If that's the case could you give me a link to the kind of oil used?

General Idea

Unregistered Supplier
Sep 24, 2009
Northeast Pennsylvania
I have been in touch with the boge/dekang factory (i think) and they offer most of their flavors blended with a ton of different vitamins. I was thinking CoQ10 might be an interesting choice, but it has been interesting to read about experiences of others. I have one 10ml dekang bottle of Vitamin A that I haven't had the guts to try yet.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Given that these vitamins are larger molecules than nicotine, and that nic tends to mostly be absorbed in the mouth and throat when vaping, my guess is the vitamins absorb mostly there too. The rat study given above is interesting, and they obviously think that significant quantities are getting into the lungs. However, their vapor concentration is probably MUCH higher than the vapor from a juice with a small % of vitamins. Super critical is REALLY thick vapor, almost liquid. I don't think there would be any problem with vaping most vitamins, but it is not likely you are getting into your system as much as taking internally.

OTOH, topical vit-E is very good for most tissues, so that one in the throat and mouth is probably quite beneficial.

Chasm

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2009
Michigan
Last time I looked, you could buy e-liquid with Vitamin E from E-Cig. I guess it's debatable how much is actually delivered in wispy vapor, but the idea is sound. I've long thought our liquids could be used for other beneficial deliveries, in addition to nicotine.

Yep, I've thought so to, just be mindful of individual differences. My wife for example, is allergic to vitamin E, at least when its found in hand lotion. It might cause lung inflammation if she were to inhale it.

OTOH, I can personally attest to the fact that Vicks VapoRub is the finest flavor that I have vaped in the ~6 weeks I've had my ecig - a really wonderful combination of menthol & eucalyptus (not sure whether the camphor added or detracted from the flavor). The vaseline really messes up the atomizer though.

NonCorp

Oct 29, 2009
NoVA
...nic tends to mostly be absorbed in the mouth and throat when vaping...

Where exactly did you get this particular piece of info?

The New Zealand study states exactly the opposite.

Quoted directly from the study:

The mouth mucosa filters out 60% of the nicotine in gum, lozenges and tablets, and absorption through the mouth can take half an hour.
Efficiency. No nicotine is wasted in the Ruyan® e-cigarette– over one to four days its nicotine is eventually all inhaled, thus differing from the 12% uptake of nicotine from the tobacco cigarette. In the tobacco cigarette, after combustion, most is lost in side-stream smoke. Of the mainstream smoke some is entrapped in the cigarette filter, while only 1.5 mg (12%) of the cigarette’s original nicotine content of 13 mg is inhaled. (Table 1).

The Ruyan® e-cigarette takes advantage of the fact that inhalation via a cigarette is the fastest route for nicotine absorption, and absorption by this route is 99% complete.

..So why do people keep stating that the lungs do not absorb nicotine, and that it is, instead, absorbed through the mouth? Please do some more reading folks...​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread