Introducing The NEWMAN'S OWN MOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
I haven't found any references to newman's own on ecf, so it seems this is a first?

All common tin mint brands (altoid's, penguin, etc...) have lids that are easily interchangeable, so I can go with the lid that fits my mood, usually the dragon lol.

Let me know what you think, and feel free to ask questions. I have more pics I'll probably post later.

That tank is just for demonstration, I switched to lr 306s a while ago. I have a good atty mod to be able to use a 510 drip tip on a 306, (the silver atty in pic) but I'll make a thread for that in the proper area. The polar bear with a pink 306 drip tip just shows that I'm understanding to the needs of the ladies. The little clip that holds the small glass bottle is also my own invention, it works great to secure it.
So one of these is all I need with me for 2 days of vaping.
DSC_7541.jpg

DSC_7561.jpg

DSC_7583.jpg

Last edited:

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Thank you all for kind the words. I appreciate it.

Here is a few more pics... The 4 dram bottle snaps in securely and doesn't rattle at all, and I can also store a few spare attys/cartos. The other pic is most of the vv mod I'm about to build, and I also have plans for bottom feeders, top feeders, and usb built-in charging, (which I think should be a standard feature in mods.) I'm totally addicted to moding apparently...

DSC_7567.jpg DSC_7544.jpg

I use quicksteel, and nothing but for basically covering all the soldered connections together and securing the 18650 batt holder. The innards are like a brick now. Quicksteel is safe for use in drinking water pipes, and I have to give Puck credit for my idea to use it, and for inspiring me to start making mods.

Last edited:

wolcen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2011
Boston, MA
www.wolcen.com
Good stuff D.D.!

Now I gotta read up on that quicksteel stuff. I think I heard about that from pucks work too but had forgotten about it. I'm guessing it's pretty similar to jb weld the difference maybe being the safe for drinking pipes part? (I'll read up on it)

Can't wait to see the vv bottom-feeding/USB pluggin/toaster model!

The modding bug sure is a fun one...wish I had time to do a lot more of it.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
I've been trying out some other putty epoxies that are also safe for drinking water pipes, but have different qualities, set times, etc. Not sure which I like best though.

Bottom feeding micro usb is coming along nicely, at least I finally decided on the parts I want to use and placed a few orders recently. I'm really exited about finally getting that started as I've been doing a LOT of research about the best way to do it. My "usb charging" thread has been very educational.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Thanks lilith, the dragon is my favorite also. I have been using the first one I made exclusively for months. I take it everywhere I go, and it's still in great shape except for the writing on the back of the tin is mostly worn away, but the front picture is still in great shape. I'll post more pics. I'm working on different versions of these, which have mini/micro usb charging and a built in protection circuit, and maybe also vv and bottom feeder. I'll post pics of those soon also. I'm not trying to sell anything at this point, I may look into becoming a vendor at some point. The reason for the thread is about how Newman's and Altoids lids are interchangeable.

Digital-Dragon

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2011
Thanks guys. I still use the first one I made, my avatar, I like how it's a little worn. Though as of about a week ago I've started using my new usb charging tin mod! Looks the same but has micro usb port. No more having to take the battery out to charge, I'm loving it. I'll post pics when I get a second.

Btw, have one of the new empiremods dual coil 306's on it right now, it totally rocks. My diy ginger juice is giving me new flavors.

smp1990

Sep 23, 2010
Ohio
what connector are you using? i have tried both the shorty 510 with a nut and the normal 510 connector from madvapes but both seem to evently go loose and start spinning. right now i have to use pliers to hold the connector when i want to change atomizer/cartos. btw i have used both jb kwik and epoxy but both give and im not over tightening at all

hificat101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2011
PA
what connector are you using? i have tried both the shorty 510 with a nut and the normal 510 connector from madvapes but both seem to evently go loose and start spinning. right now i have to use pliers to hold the connector when i want to change atomizer/cartos. btw i have used both jb kwik and epoxy but both give and im not over tightening at all

I'm getting ready to follow DD's lead on this, and have a half dozen dragon tins. I'm wondering if you guys have tried the industrial strength Loctite on the threads? My plan for mine was to Loctite the threads with with the blue stuff it takes a torch to get off, then either epoxy or quicksteel over that. Maybe I'll solder the nut down as well.

Hope it works. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread