Is it right to promote these things amongst colleagues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
In the beginning when I first got into e-cigs, I was so shocked to find an alternative (note: not NRT!) that actually works for me that I couldn't wait to tell every smoker that I know about them.

Smokers at work were generally less than enthused [to my surprise] - reactions varied from "isn't it just the same as smoking?" to "I've never tried nor wanted to give up" [my personal favourite: I'm secretly jealous] to "is it safe?" and "how much do they cost? -- ooh, too much".

Now that some time has passed and my colleagues can see that they appear to have kept me off the analogs, a few of them are poking around asking more questions, presumably toying with trying them out themselves now that they can see some evidence of success.

But now I have a problem - and this is partly due to TropicalBob's very well reasoned arguments. We have absolutely no idea how safe these things are and I'm not so sure I'm comfortable promoting something that may very well end up being worse for health than cigarettes. [Not to mention the fickleness of the hardware; it takes determination to battle on with these devices IMHO.]

To clarify, I don't think that they are worse than analogs but, in the absence of any evidence, I cannot be sure. I'm quite happy to take a chance with my own internal organs but I'm now not sure that I want to be responsible for other people's.

I know that one smoker at work has had a heart attack in the past and, as most of us probably know, it's very easy to overdo the vaping and consume too much nicotine in one sitting. I'm not sure that this person, for example, is a particularly good candidate for e-cigs (not that he should be smoking at all of course but measuring dosage is fairly straightforward and predictable with analogs). As for my other colleagues, I have no idea about their medical histories.

What does everyone else think?

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Explain it, be honest and allow adults to decide for themselves?

+1. It's not like you are handing it to a kindergartner and saying 'suck on this.' I personally would be able to live with it a lot more than not showing it to them and finding out later that they have a smoking-related illness.

Kitabz

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2009
UK
Explain it, be honest and allow adults to decide for themselves?

+1. It's not like you are handing it to a kindergartner and saying 'suck on this.' I personally would be able to live with it a lot more than not showing it to them and finding out later that they have a smoking-related illness.

To be clear, I'm not hiding it in the least and I'm answering all questions, giving websites, etc., I'm just not "selling" it to them as the best thing since sliced bread (or machine made ciggies to be more on topic), which I happen to believe them to be.

Huxley

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
UK
Not got problem explaining them to people and they do generate a lot of interest. I don't smoke at work because of the ban that has been in force in Scotland for some time, so I haven't taken to vaping there (yet! :D). I did take one in the other day to let some people see. they had asked because they knew I had been off the cigs for a week without problems. They're all adults, just give them the facts and let them decide themselves - it's about all you can do.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
I've had similar thoughts, but I've come to the profound conclusion that I really do believe that vaping is less damaging than smoking, at least in the case of heavy smokers. That being so, the argument could be turned around . . . knowing that there is something that *might* be less damaging than smoking, shouldn't we feel an obligation to let people know and make that decision for themselves.

I don't push people (well, except for my sister . . . and that was really only a gentle nudge), but I do share information. I freely tell them that the long-term consequences of vaping are simply not known at this point and that we're all basically lab rats in a laboratory where the researchers aren't paying particularly close attention. :(

I also tell them about how finicky much of the equipment is, how it's probably not cheaper than analogs for many people, how everything pretty much has to be ordered online, etc.

I figure full disclosure--the good, the bad, and, yes, the ugly--is not only appropriate, it is absolutely necessary.

And doing that, I sleep well at night. :)

Idahojo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Bonners Ferry, ID
Well if you look at it selfishly, turning other people onto will make it harder for us to get our stuff. LOL Just kidding! I suggest to people who are interested in it to do a ton of reading on this forum. I do explain there is a huge learning curve and you do have to be committed to it. This forum is very explanatory and when I was checking it out I read about the risks right away.

rmasu

ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
hawaii
Not got problem explaining them to people and they do generate a lot of interest. I don't smoke at work because of the ban that has been in force in Scotland for some time, so I haven't taken to vaping there (yet! :D). I did take one in the other day to let some people see. they had asked because they knew I had been off the cigs for a week without problems. They're all adults, just give them the facts and let them decide themselves - it's about all you can do.
wasn't thomas huxley an agnostic?
:)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Excellent answers. We're all called on to demonstrate our devices and I comply. Then come the questions, which I answer honestly. I get the same reactions of "too expensive," etc. that you get. If someone asks the Big Unknown -- is it safe? -- I answer truthfully, "no one knows.'

I never discourage (and I set an example by using e-cigs myself). But I never encourage either. I don't have the facts to make a case for e-smoking, just my experience and the collective wisdom on this forum.

I think anyone can be content with that course of action.

I am, however, surprised that some True Disciples of the First Church of E-Smoking haven't popped up in this thread to preach the gospel according to Ruyan.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
I tell people the same basic thing - the initial investment, the fickle equipment, demand outstripping supply, untested, etc.... But they invariably mention that I haven't been smoking analogs for a while (I stopped cold as soon as I got my PV). I smile and say these work for me. I never utter the phrase "stop smoking device."

Then I point them at this forum, and tell 'em to lurk here, sign up and ask questions here if they want to, or come back to me with questions once they've started to research.

SABOTEUR

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Baltimore MD USA
I think that the people who frequent this forum are some of the most well informed, responsible people online. I consider myself blessed to have run into such an informative group less than one week of my discovery of electronic cigarettes. But what, you may ask, does this have to do with your question? :confused: (Forgive me for being long winded....)

When I participated in network marketing, the company I was associated with was very serious that affiliates did not misrepresent the product to the public. While they encouraged members to share the product with any and everybody we came into contact daily, they placed greater emphasis on members referring prospects to their webside. People are confused and often mislead if they hear people's pesonal experiences represented as fact. The company invests a lot of money into research and marketing so that their website promotes the product and/or "opportunity" factually and responsibly.

Now, I said all that to say this....which underlines what I first said....I have yet to see any member of this or any other e-cigarette forum represent anything other than their personal experience. I cannot imagine how anyone they know...anyone you know...would get a false impression of e-cigs unless they arrived at that conclusion on their own.

Another common trait among e-cigarette users is their willness to research and refer others to various websites to obtain information firsthand. I can't count the number of times I read a "newbie" or an information seeker being advised by a e-cig user to "find out for themselves". If only the news media would be so responsible when presenting their stories!

So, while I understand the intent behind the question, you may just as well ask whether it's "right" to promote the clothes that you wear, the food that you eat or even the car that you drive. Whether you say anything or not, the daily use of these things makes others aware they exist and may potentially encourage them to acquire something like it themselves.

In short...it can't be avoided.

Just be mindful to use your electronic cigarette products responsibly...

...as I'm sure you're already doing.

Last edited:

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Thanks for all the replies; seems like I'm not the only one being cautious.

Unfortunately, these things are unlikely to ever be "proved" safe (or even safer) given that any side-effects may take decades to emerge.
We can only hope that one day that our e-ciggs WILL be proven safe.With the increased popularity,and media attention,somebody out there will be studying these very closely and hopefully ease our worried minds. I can only say here what I tell others I work with and friends,that I feel better than when I smoked analogs,breathe better,look better(according to others that is),and feel less depresed about things I might have worried about before.In general I feel more Alive! I personally have faith that my "New" addiction is better for me in the short term and long term,than to where the "Old" addiction was going to lead me!:)The Wiz!

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Thanks for all the replies; seems like I'm not the only one being cautious.

Unfortunately, these things are unlikely to ever be "proved" safe (or even safer) given that any side-effects may take decades to emerge.

Cigarettes have not been proven to be safe, quite the opposite in fact... yet they have acceptance (I use that loosely). I just hope that one day, sooner rather than later, e-cigs can be accepted as an alternative.

Vapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Orlando, Florida
i just tell my friends that it is relatively safer than smoking real cigarettes based on my own experience.

That there have been some studies done and as anything you put in your body has positives and negatives.

PG tests have been done but still need more testing imo
Nicotine by itself still also needs more testing
other ingredients havent been much tested extensively i think

After that its their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread