Itchy Skin, Rashes: PG Allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I found that once I realized I was reacting to using PG juice and switched to VG, I was still itching and breaking out and had dry red flaky patches and sore teeth and peeling nails until I got rid of ALL the PG. The lotion I was putting on had PG in it and was making it worse. The bubblebath I was soaking in. My shampoo, conditioner, makeup, shaving lotion, handsoap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste the list was endless! But none of the problems went away or improved until I eliminated ALL of the PG. Not just the PG juice. It seems to build in my system and I was overloaded.

Well I'm not reacting unusually, but occasionally (even before vaping) I do. I'm pleased to learn that PG is indeed in shampoo, conditioner, soap, hand sanitzer, toothpaste, deodorant, etc.
It's easy for people to be allergic to the whole bathroom, it seems :lol:.

So, basically, PG found its way to everyhting, and vaping is just the last straw for several people here and there. But the last straw is actually more like a needle in a haystack. PG has been the whole haystack, and I wonder if simply bringing the haystack under control will allow sensitive people to vape .

Whatever the solution, be warned, I'm afraid that going back to smoking is not any better, as PG is also used in snus, tobacco products, cigars, and so many things.

My question is this, what are some bathroom products/brands that some of you have found so far to be without PG(PG is a huge family, btw), that are better to use? Please specify, as this can immediately start helping the few who are sensitive to it :). (Also dtergent brands, food brands, etc.)

Apatel

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2009
Illinois, USA
I started itching as well. Started a few months after I started vaping. I told my doctor about the itching and he prescribed hydroxyzine. I take 1 a day and am not itching, but if I stop taking it for a few days, I start itching all over.

I hope there is a solution to this, I don't want to keep taking drugs so I can keep vaping.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Wisconsin-deep in the woods
I tried all the mild, sensitive products first, but they are still a long shot as far as pg goes. The whole Burt's Bees line is all pg free, shampoos, conditioners, bodywashes, soaps,etc. The Organics and the Neways cosmetic lines. Downey free and sensitive and All free and clear laundry products. Some, but not all softsoap liq. handsoaps. Some of the GermX hand sanitizers and palmolive dishsoaps. Sensodine isoactive gel in the can for toothpaste. I read a LOT of labels. I don't use anything that has a glycol or PEG listed, usually it will have glycerin instead.
All haircoloring has pg and lots of it ;) but a girl has to do what a girl has to do.
As far as food, anything frosted. Yogurt, mayonaise, salad dressings. Again I just read a lot of labels. My stomach will tell me if I missed it.
Medicines, most gelcaps have pg, the only pain reliever I have found that doesn't have pg is Bayer aspirin. a bunch of the prescription meds do. (I always wondered why I could never take the Zyban (?) to quit smoking-I paid $100 for that crap and was double over with a stomach ache within 2 days)
Almost all asthma medicines have pg. After 5-6 weeks with a nebulizer I was in bad shape. Ventolin and that whole line has pg. They finally found Advair and MaxAir that don't have pg, but do have lactose.
I forgot to mention adhesives, surgery dressings, crown adhesives at the dentist, bandaids, etc.
I'm sure there are more I forgot to list and some I have not found yet. But this is what I have found so far. I guess since I am sensitive to pg, I can see how I was overloaded. Hope it helps somebody else.

Last edited:

resonator

ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2009
The Badger State
I just composed this message in another thread, but I'll paste it here, too.

---------------------

I've been vaping for over six months now without issue. Mostly PG (tried VG and don't like it.)

Then early last week I started to get breakouts (redness, bumps, itching) in spots all over my person, from palms to ankles. The issue lasted about 5 days. It's since gone away.

Around that time, I was using a new-to-me flavor, peach. I discontinued that flavor on day one of the symptoms, thinking that might have been the catalyst for the rash. I'll keep the juice vendor anonymous until I'm more sure of my finding.

Since then, it's been a problem-free week. I'll have to spot-test the Peach juice somewhere on my person again. I've been told dabbing some on an adhesive bandage and placing on the skin for a few hours is a good test. I will try it and report back.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
Aschmidy, yes it will be so helpful. Thank you so much. I think that if sensitive people switch to those brands you mentioned, it may defininitely at least help the body when it comes to vaping with PG. What about deodorant? I have three deodorants (well, two brands), and all of them have PG. Has someone found a deodorant with no PG?

All this info should definitely help our PG sensitive vaper friends.

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
I found a deodorant call Naturally Fresh, it advertises PG Free on the front of the bottle. I got it at Walmart.

I didn't see any, except for one that you have to buy in a box, it says hypoallergenic, with aluminum zirconium or something. What about shampoos without PG, I wonder?

Last edited:

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
This is a roll on paraben/PG free, the label name is just "Naturally Fresh" with a blue cap, blue and green label. I know it's tough when you start reading labels, pg is in EVERTHING! The shampoos and conditioners I have found and stick with are all Burts Bees brand, the whole line is pg free, I have found that at Shopko? I did a lot of ingredients research online. Buy some products online, some I have found in stores. It's not easy.

mini_art

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
Florida USA
Having had allergies to almost everything my entire life, here is what I can tell you.
allergies are a building block type of thing. Its like this.
I am allergic to tree pollen. all well and good, I may not react to it at all.
But if you add roses to the mix at the same time, then add cats too, I will definately react big time. If you are overlloaded with a allergen you will react. Remove the roses and the cat and even though I am allergic to the tree pollen I may have no real reaction to it.
I got a bit of a rash on my face from a reaction to pg . I narrowed it down to just one juice I was using and eliminated that one . No more rash. Turns out it wasnt the pg at all
it was one flavor of juice.
so before you assign all the blame to pg, think that it could be a flavoring too that is causing it.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Mini art, I have a bunch of allergies, too. I can agree with what you say, usually. But twice I was put on asthma treatments that contained pg. Both times within a month I have had severe ashtma attacks. The last time I wasn't sure I was going to make it. Everybody is different. I certainly do not think this is everybodys problem. And I don't think pg is a bad thing. But for me, pg accumulates in my system and affects me in many ways. I don't mess with it.

sanfordf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 28, 2010
Northern San Diego county
Reading these posts makes me itchy! I know it is not funny but I also have become 'itchified' by vaping. My arms, inside and outside of my elbows, scalp, around my ears, ankles, my back, arm pits, wrists and hands.

I mix my own juices and have found a vendor that sells a few PG/nicotine free flavors (Perfumers Apprentice - Professional Flavors for DIY). I am expecting my first shipment from them any day. I have been using Capellas and LorAnns.
Unfortunately, my nicotine juice has got PG as a base. I use VG and distilled water (and flavors) to blend it down. But I need to get my nic juice with a VG base from now on. Maybe, I am getting an extra dose from the amount of handling of carts and juices I do each day.

I think as many have noted, that there appears to be a threshhold of PG (and its many chemically related family members) saturation. Once you get to that limit you start to get reactions. I just need to reduce some (not all) of the sources of that PG saturation and get back to the 'normal' enough amounts that my body had been used to and can tolerate.

I guess the old addage is true - All things in moderation. :confused: Dang.

Last edited:

Ragamuffin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2010
US
You know now that I have read this whole thread, it may explain my sensitivity to PG all through the last several years. It was so bad, I was covered in hives and itching constantly. Had to stay home from work, my scalp, neck and face were so sore. But then it would go away just as fast, and then return a few months later even worse. Now I think it's due to never having bought the same personal care item twice in a row. Just what's on sale. A few years ago I became Vegan, and omitted a lot of stuff in my diet that probably contained PG. I wonder if we develop a resistance to it over a lifetime, than when it's drastically decreased, become really sensitive to it?

This must be why my hairdresser says don't use anything with an "ol" on the end of it! I suppose she'll have to do my color now too. That's expensive too...well there is that cigarette money....

My diet is mostly soy, wheat, farm raised eggs when I can get them, vegetables, vegan margarine, fresh juices, and diet iced tea, fresh fruits, beans, peanuts, raw sugar, almost nothing pre-prepared. No mayo, salad dressing with dairy and such, not even non-dairy creamers! I use oils, sesame, ginger, garlic, things like that. And lots of spices. Maybe I've become too isolated from PG! :w00t:

woodman

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2010
USA midwest
Does appear that a persons alergic reaction follows whatever they have a predisposition to. For me its a facial dermatitus, for some a rash or itching, etc... and believe like Mini_art says its a "build-up to a reaction".
Ive experienced it with certain laundry soaps and shampoos - long as I use the right stuf I'm fine, but otherwise can only tollerate it for so long, then....overload and a reaction.
.....a question of finding that allergen and lowering it so it can be tollerated.

aschmidy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2009
Some 'allergies' aren't really considered allergies, they are an intolerance. Your body just doesn't tolerate whatever it is very well. I am lactose intolerant. It is not pleasant, very uncomfortable and I try to avoid it.
I am allergic to PG, I was put on two different asthma inhalers that had pg in them. The second time it almost killed me. I don't just 'avoid' PG, I research products and stay away from it. It is dangerous to my body. That's how my doctors have explained it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread