just ordered a provari p3 .. can i order any "standard" 18650's for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royaldansk

Sep 30, 2014
New York
just placed my order for the new provari p3 (w/satin finish) .. they sent out a newsletter today for $15 off any provari p3 purchase so i had to give in!

i want to make sure i get the best batteries and charger to power this little beast to it's full potential and provides maximal battery life!

i was looking at these Panasonic 18650's on amazon that look like they are best sellers and have crazy good battery life, but that they may be too long for the ProVari P3, so i'm not sure.. i want at least 4 batteries so i can always have 2 charged and ready to go!

here's the Panasonic 18650's on amazon:

Amazon.com: 4pcs Panasonic NCR18650B 3.6 Volt 18650 Battery 3400 mAh: Electronics

does anybody have any suggestions on what batteries i should get or should i go with the ones i posted/will they fit?

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
The older model PVs used button top batteries and I am guessing that the V3 does as well. So you may want to be sure that those flat tops that you linked will fit. You will most likely be better off getting button tops for your PV to be sure that that they will work.

You also want to be careful of counterfeits. This is a good, reliable source for batteries just to name one.
http://www.rtdvapor.com/

Another good option http://www.orbtronic.com/18650-batteries-li-ion-battery-chargers

Good luck and congrats on the new toy :)

Last edited:

royaldansk

Sep 30, 2014
New York
You should have bought the kit that comes with the recommended batteries and charger.

was considering that, but i just bought a new replacement Aspire Nautilus, and the starter kit only comes w/2 batteries (i like to have 4 so that i never have "down time" lol).. the price is still pretty competitive minus the +$30 extra aspire tank that i wouldn't need since i just bought one the other week for my itaste MVP 2.0 so i figured save on the starter kit, and probably get higher-end batteries by ordering directly from amazon and just use the nautilus aspire i already have :)

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Last I knew Provape recommend using an AW 185650 battery. It's an IMR high drain battery.

Those Panasonic batteries you linked will probably work, and may work well. They are flat-top batteries but the new P3 will work with them, so you don't specifically have to get button tops like you did with previous Provari versions.

I would just add that you just spent $250 for an e-cig, why go cheap on the batteries? I have used AW batteries for a long time, they are excellent with no performance issues even after hundreds of charge cycles.

If it was my brand new Provari, I would use the AW 18650 battery they sell on their website, or get it slightly cheaper from RTD Vapor These are what I currently use in my 2.5.

You'll only pay about $10 more than the Panasonics for 4 of them.

You'll also need a good quality charger if you don't already have one.

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
I use vtc5s with mine and it does great. Really any quality battery will do, maybe just check to make sure your iq rating is above 66 or whatever. I've seen 95 iq from the vtc5s. Avoid orbtronics for this one. They don't make bad batteries, but they are longer than most and may be a tight fit. The new imr 20 batteries look pretty nice too. Honestly though, the p3 is a monster in 18650 mode and I find myself typically using 18350s, and carrying a spare in my pocket if I'm going to be out for a while. 18490 is a good compromise between size and battery life. I rarely rarely use 18650 batteries in my p3. Especially not since I have a flash e vapor v3 on the way, which is one of the tallest attys out there. For 18490 and 18350 I only use aw imr. Don't have the new ones, but the old ones do fine. I can go a day with an 18350 with a kayfun 4 at 16 watts

SpanishSunday

Jan 9, 2015
Spain
Provape recommends AW IMR batteries, and those are the ones that should be used. AW IMR batteries are quite long lived also, so less expense in the long run.

However, I've noticed that P3 could use both flattops and buttontops. I've tried both, in 18350, and 18650 sizes, even using a protected 18650, and the thing works even if the cap does not close tightly. Before finding ECF I bought other batteries, even ICRs, and Efest purples, and they work pretty good in the P3. It should be said that I usually do not vape at more than 13-14W.

Any battery rated for 6.5A+ (battery discharge current for 20W when battery voltage is 3.5V) continous discharge should work, however, IMHO. But as that opinion has a "H" of "humble", I recommend following Provape recommendations, and that is what I will be doing, buying AW batteries from now on.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Realize AW batteries are not a brand name but batteries that have been tested by the owner of AW. They could be Panasonics, Sonys, Samsungs, etc. Provape now states:
"Batteries – We recommend you use a IMR high drain 18490/18500 batteries or a IMR high drain18650 battery with the optional 18650 adapter. This will give you the full range of voltages and best performance."
The real problem with using non AW batts stems from yrs ago when some batts were slightly longer than the AWs. Users would "jam" the longer batts in and sometimes crack or dislodge the board.
http://www.provape.com/v/images/ProVariManual.pdf
It's important that they are:
IMR
High Drain
Unprotected
Proper length
As far as buying from Amazon I've heard of too many instances of re wrapped used batts from laptops being sold. Merely place new ends and wrapper on the battery and sell. Best to buy the most important part of your PV from a reputable Vendor.
Myself I use Pannys and love them.
To be safe if it were my choice I'd buy the AWs. Formerly owned a Provari years ago. You'll LOVE it esp now that they have the VW.
Best of Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread