jwprofessor needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am by no means an expert in this subject, I can however offer my experience and sincere support. My habit was 1-2 packs a day for 30 years. Through those years I tried all the nicotine replacement methods for quitting and any alternatives I could find such as hypnosis and anti-depressant medications. Nothing came close to working, and while I have never been accused of being a bunny hugging touchy feely want to share kind of person I can empathize where you are coming from so I will relate my story to you in hopes that you can find something of value.

My journey with electronic cigarettes began about two years ago with the same type of kits you mentioned, they did not work for me. They were harsh, did not satisfy, and problematic in operation/battery life. To be fair it was a half hearted attempt on my part as I really enjoyed smoking and was looking for any excuse to not switch to what is now my honest belief that "vaping" is a safer alternative. My end goal is to become nicotine free after all these years, because lets face it nicotine is classified as a poison it was commonly used as an insecticide. Although it does have some limited medical applications, overall it is a very additive substance with little to offer but short lived simulation. Not to mention all the other harmful chemicals ingested with tobacco.

My second attempt with electronic cigarettes involved "upgrading" to an e-go style battery and clearomiser refillable tanks. This defiantly gave me a better experience as far as taste, satisfaction, and performance, however I still experienced coughing fits. I do not know if I should attribute this to my lungs starting to clear, or the way I was chain hitting the e-cig which caused very dry hits due to the fluid being rapidly depleted in the wick. I found that I could not rapidly puff away in a desperate attempt satisfy my craving for nicotine. I needed to slow down and let the mechanics of the e-cig work. A slower slightly longer draw with a pause was instrumental in replacing the feel of a standard cigarette. Two things of note that were missing which took me awhile to realize and overcome were that 1.) there is no smell with an e-cig, it was a strange thing that took a bit for my brain to recognize. 2.) you just can not hang it off the end of you mouth like a regular cigarette, it weighs too much which is a minor inconvenience. While this setup while greatly improved the experience it still did not quite do the trick for me. It had its own limitations and drawbacks such as leaks, flooding, poor taste at times, and carrying around a charger, juice, and replacement coils was cumbersome compared to a pack of smokes. I found that quality also varied between hardware, nicotine content, juice taste and vendors. I continued down this path for about two and a half months still smoking quite a bit and not kicking the tobacco habit. Guess I really did not want to quit smoking badly enough to go all in so back to cigarettes I went.

At this point I was beginning to think that I would be a smoker to the grave, this is a prospect that does not make me happy! I decided to give it one last shot determined to make a concerted effort in making the switch. This time I decided I would invest in an advanced variable voltage and variable wattage "mod" or personal vaporizer battery which I had seen some people use. Initially the cost is what kept me from this (really!!! compared to the cost of a cartons of cigarettes) as well as being inundated with so many choices which can be overwhelming to novices. I visited a local vape shop and was greeted by a friendly knowledgeable staff that guided me through my choice as to the hardware I currently use. I bit of trial and error finding an acceptable tank for my needs, and sampling various e-juice flavors which the great staff at the shop let me try onsite and I was on my way. I stated with a vegetable glycerin base, 24mg nicotine, tobacco flavored juice which is the highest concentrate of nicotine they had available. A "mod" that was variable wattage of 3.0 - 15.0 watts (dialed in anywhere between 5.0 to 6.5 watts depending on the juice I am using) a bottom feed style tank with replaceable elements, and a plastic or glass tip.

This is where a dramatic and vastly superior vaping experience brought my goal to replace cigarettes into view. Taste, satisfaction, basic maintenance required along with slight adjustments were finally acceptable. I have now been tobacco free for nine and half months and have brought my nicotine level down to juice with 11mg content. I will not mislead you and state that was easy from that point on, at times the cravings for a real cigarette were overwhelming. I had half a carton of cigarettes left when I started vaping (of which I threw out three and a half packs) and would allowed myself to indulge in a real cigarette on rare occasion. It was actually quite ridiculous, I would stand there with a cigarette in one hand and my mod in the other alternating between drags. I could hardly tell the difference, in fact the last few cigarettes I smoked tasted horrible compared to the flavored juice I was using. The coughing ceased after about two weeks I suppose it takes a bit for your lungs to acclimate (it appears to be a common transition even for some non smokers who choose to vape). My energy level and breathing have greatly improved as well getting a better nights sleep (not snoring as much), and saving a lot of money. I do not have cravings after meals, coffee, or partaking of alcohol. So far the benefits have outweighed the draw backs, the only one and I consider it negligible is that my mod is not ever more that a arms length away from me. I vape a lot, I mean a lot, pretty much all day long, but I am no longer smoking and I have the added benefit of my wife no longer harassing me at every turn.

I truly wish you success with your endeavor to kick the tobacco habit and hope my ramblings have helped you in some small way. If you have any questions please post a response on this thread and I will offer what small assistance I can. Keep your head up, YOU CAN DO THIS!

Best Regards,

Noe

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I have been trying out e-cigs with the Greensmoke and Appollo kits. I'm trying hard to break the cig habit(3 pack/day for 47 years). Health requires my stopping. My problem is these e-cigs are coughing me badly. Any ideas on how I get started properly. Getting desperate!

Please tell us what nic level you are using, what pg/vg ratio, etc.

It could also be the flavorings. There are some that irritate lungs like cinnamon, etc. Or just some that don't agree with certain individuals.

Or you could be coughing from dry throat which could be from too high PG for you.

Are you able to buy your own juice to use, or are you using their pre filled cartos and stuff?

More information, please. :)

DetraMental

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
United States
Yes please let us know us know your nic level and pg/vg ratio (eg. 30/70, 50/50...), and flavor. As for the size of the ecig/mod and the atty/clearo/carto/tank, that can be determined when a battery is selected. We gotta find what works most favorably for you :) Once selected there are different ways to intake the vape that reduces coughing fits. I personally take it into my mouth for a second and then inhale that and exhale it through my nose and mouth. I don't do a full throat hit because it makes me cough and my throat to get hoarse.

OlDogNewTricks

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 21, 2013
Venice, FL
Hello and welcome to the forum. It is a terrific source of support and knowledge. As for the coughing, there could be a few different causes. The liquid or cartridges that you are using is too strong. The cig-a-like kits have no vapor control which make adjustments difficult. Another source could be technique. There is a learning curve that cigarette smoking does not have. Try taking more shallow draws. Also, draw slower, the faster you draw, the more dry the wicks of the delivery system will be. With a cigarette, the faster you draw, the faster it burns. You do that too much, you burn your lips. With vaping, the atomizer gets dry and you get burned hits and frequently coughing. It is a common problem. Technique and experience will deliver the best vaping experience. Gear does help, but you don't need expensive equipment to get a good quality vape. Good luck and have fun!

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
Hi, welcome to ECF. You'll find lots of people willing to help here. You came to the right place.

The smaller cig-a-likes can't keep up with heavy use and I suspect that you're getting "dry hits" that burn the liquid, taste bad, and can irritates your throat, lungs and sinuses.
At 3 packs a day for 47 years, I suggest getting something better.
I smoked 1-3/4 PAD for 30 years and while I was able to cut my smoking in half with a cig-a-like, It wasn't able to fully quit until I got a variable voltage (VV) battery and a tank. I struggled even with an ego battery and a CE5 clearomizer.

I highly recommend getting a ego twist or a vision spinner battery at least 900mAh like this
eGo Spinner Variable Voltage Battery - AltSmoke
The 900mAh means it will last roughly 9 hours.

And a "top coil clearomizer". The top coil type gives a warmer hit than the bottom coil type that most prefer. I finally quit with this one that comes with 2 spare "heads"
http://altsmoke.com/vision-vivi-replacement-coil-tank-kit.html

You'll also need an ego usb charger and wall adapter. (About $15 at altsmoke but cheaper elsewhere)

Two batteries would be better but you can always get another later if you find that it's working for you.
A kit with 2 batteries might be cheaper than buying them separately.
You might be able to save a few bucks if you shop around, I think most of the suppliers listed as forum suppliers (link at the top of the page) are reputable.

Liquids are much harder to suggest because it's so subjective.
In general,
High PG = good flavor and "throat hit" but not a lot of vapor
High VG = more vapor but less flavor and throat hit.
As a heavy smoker you probably want to start off with at least 18mg or 24mg liquids

Hope vaping helps you quit like it did me, I'd tried everything for a decade with no success. I couldn't quit cold turkey like some people. It was a gradual tapering off over several months for me once I got the right e-cig.

pablo_h

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2013
australia
Once I had my vaping gear I pretty much quit smoking instantly. But I still had a cough for about 2 weeks.
Now about 2 months later I don't cough at ALL.
I think throat irritation and coughing is natural when switching from smoking to vaping. I'm not sure if it's the quitting smoking thing that does it, or the starting vaping thing. Probably a bit of both.

I started out on 75-80% PG and 25-20%VG, quite happy now on 60/40% mix, so maybe changing that helped a bit too. Also dropped nic from 24mg/ml after the first couple of weeks, to 18mg/ml for just over a month, and now to 12mg/ml

Last edited:

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
Marysville, Washington, USA
I can relate to your experience. I smoked for 40 years a pack a day. I tried a lot of different ways to quit and my best efforts netted me a month - cold turkey being the most successful. I tried some of the first ecigs to come out - the cigarette shaped style and they didn't last me a day. $150 down the drain. Then I ran into a friend of mine at work that asked me why I'm still smoking those things, look what I have. He showed me a battery and tank setup. I thought hmmm, they've come along way since I tried them last. So I ran into ................ and did my homework for about 2 weeks. I knew I needed something that would keep up with my old habit. I personally settled on the iTaste SVD kit complete with 2 iClear 30's, added some batteries and juice and I was set. I had 3 pack of smokes left which I used to taper off while I started vaping and getting the hang of it. Smoking and vaping at the same time is what I discovered was causing me to cough quite a bit. After 4 days of tapering off the analogs and going strictly to vaping my lungs cleared up in about 2 days and I stopped coughing. I also stopped wheezing in my sleep. Week 2 I had some anxiety which was mild and lasted about 2 weeks.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I have been trying out e-cigs with the Greensmoke and Appollo kits. I'm trying hard to break the cig habit(3 pack/day for 47 years). Health requires my stopping. My problem is these e-cigs are coughing me badly. Any ideas on how I get started properly. Getting desperate!

WE WANT TO HELP! But you'll need to stick around and provide answers. We answer fairly quickly, or feel free to Message or PM any veteran or even a Moderator.

X-Puppy

Cloud Hound!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 13, 2013
    Marysville, Washington, USA
    The satisfying vape really kept me on track. I'm really glad I picked a system that could keep up with me. The top of the tank dual micro coil gave me a near analog experience. The throat hit is similar to analog. Cranking the wattage up to 10W gives a nice warm strong tasty hit. I also had to find a juice that did well under those conditions. For me I found that a tobacco blend with something sweet added did the trick. V4L WOW tobacco (no tobacco) to start with. There's lots more but that's the one that really did it for me. I'm not sure if we're allowed to mention vendors here but after 2 weeks of research I found that MyVapeStore.com had 2 different combinations of exactly what I was looking for. It turned out to be a real solid starter kit. That's all for now.... I'll be back!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Racehorse knows her stuff. Agreed, we need to know what nicotine strength and what flavors you are using.

It is quite common for new vapors to cough when they begin vaping. Warm vapor is different from warm smoke from cigarettes. It took your body time to adjust to smoking, it will take some time to adjust to vaping, too.

Understand that it is not necessary to lung inhale the vapor to absorb your nicotine. The nicotine that is in water vapor is a different size molecule and is absorbed in the mucus membranes of the mouth and nose. So for beginners, it is suggested to do a "mouth inhale", hold it there for a few seconds, and then exhale through both the nose and mouth. As you adjust to the vapor, you can gradually learn to inhale into your lungs like you did when you smoked.

Drink plenty of water. The Pg and Vg in vapor pulls water from our tissues and can cause dehydration and dry mouth/throat, so this must be replaced.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 12, 2012
    The Clock Barrens, Fillory
    Hi and welcome jw!

Are you still using the Greensmoke kit or did you replace it with the Apollo? I don't know about Apollo, but I found Greensmoke to be pretty harsh. They also don't tell you what the pv/vg ratio is. As I recall, the nicotine level choices were light, medium and high. I'm not sure what exactly they correspond to, but it will be somewhere in the range of 6mg being the possible lowest to 24mg being the possible highest.

My experience with Greensmoke lasted all of 4 days. Having not tried an e-cig before they were actually fine for me at the time, but I started searching for more flavors and discovered all of the alternatives. I sent it back and got a very simple eGo kit. That was all I used until the Twist came out a couple of months later. I was lucky in that I never picked up another cigarette after trying my first Greensmoke, but the longer battery life and more flavor choices of eGp kit made my entrance into the world of vaping much more enjoyable.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:

WOW! I didn't expect so much quick help from such nice understanding people. I'm new to a forum, so it is taking me some time to navigate. I presently use the Greensmoke with 18mg nicotine and Apollo with 24 mg. They are the cig-like ones with a disposable cartomizer. I believe I am going to like this experience, but I have to get past the coughing , especially with emphysema. So you see my "desperation".(lol) I'm going to our local e-cig store that has recently opened armed with your suggestions and have them show me what is available for my needs, maintenance cost, vg vs pg, flavors, ease of use, battery life, etc. I gather from your comments to look for e Go batteries, variable voltage, C35 or I Clear clearomizers. I'm less clear on pg vs vg ratios. I would like enough vapor that it replicates actual smoking. Also any advantages about top coil, bottom coil, double coil. Is there better places to shop online, or go local? I don't want to break any rules, if there is any, about asking about brands or suppliers . Anymore info or suggestions you can give will sure be appreciated. Again, thanks for all of your help. You guys have been great. I have to quit the real cigs!!

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    You can do it. In fact, you MUST do it. You don't have to quit cold turkey, either. We have a saying here on ECF, "It's not how many cigarettes you smoke that count, it's the ones you didn't."

Naming brands here on ECF is allowed.

Pg has been said to carry flavors better than Vg, but may also be a little harsh on the throat. Vg is most responsible for vapor production. Typically a 50/50 ratio is used for a nice balance between flavor and vapor.

B & M prices will be more expensive than purchasing online, but you do get to actually see before you buy and get a demonstration of how it works by the sales staff.

Online vendors commonly recommended are AltSmoke, Discount Vapors, & My Vapor Store, who generally have all the major name-brand e-cig products you need.

Name brands like Joytech, Vision, Innokin, & Kanger are the big players in vaping. The name-brand products are typically more consistant in quality and worth paying a little more for.

Top-coil clearomizers are typically easier to use because they are filled from the top. They may make more of a warmer vape.

Bottom-coil clearomizers must be removed from the battery & turned upside down to be filled. They may make more of a cooler vape.

Dual coil clearomizers have two heating coils. Theoretically they make more vapor. The Innokin iClear 16 & 30 are dual top-coil clearomizers. The iClear 30 happens to be my favorite of the entire bunch.

YouTube is an excellent resource to learn about specific products. PBusardo, Grimm Green, and IGetcha are well known reviewers.

Last edited:
    Sounds like your are taking the right step by visiting your local shop so you can ask questions and get you hands on equipment. All the comments thus far have been spot on with their information.

1. A variable voltage "battery" (eGo twist - Spinner) a least two so you can swap out between charges, or an advanced variable voltage "mod" (Vmax - Lavatube- SID - Provari) with extra batteries.

2. A tank with top or bottom coils you can replace ( Kanger Pro 2 - Kanger T3- Clearomizer - Vivi Nova) some come in mini versions.

3. A good/safe charger if you decide to take the advanced mod route (Intellicharger) this will stop charging the batteries when they are at capacity or an unsafe condition is sensed. When charging lithium batteries some consideration with regards to safety must be taken.

4. A couple of small bottles of juice to start with, in my case 24mg nicotine level. I recommend the small 5 to 10 mil size until you settle on a couple of flavors with the VG, PG, or VG/PG mix that works for you.

5. A positive attitude, do not get discouraged, some experimentation with voltage, coil resistance, and juice may be necessary to find the right combination for you.

6. Research this forum, after you get the basics there is so much more you can learn with preference, technique, and equipment.

Good luck at the shop, do not be afraid to ask questions or feel rushed. We are all here to help you!

jocat54

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 15, 2013
    Lindale, Texas
    WOW! I didn't expect so much quick help from such nice understanding people. I'm new to a forum, so it is taking me some time to navigate. I presently use the Greensmoke with 18mg nicotine and Apollo with 24 mg. They are the cig-like ones with a disposable cartomizer. I believe I am going to like this experience, but I have to get past the coughing , especially with emphysema. So you see my "desperation".(lol) I'm going to our local e-cig store that has recently opened armed with your suggestions and have them show me what is available for my needs, maintenance cost, vg vs pg, flavors, ease of use, battery life, etc. I gather from your comments to look for e Go batteries, variable voltage, C35 or I Clear clearomizers. I'm less clear on pg vs vg ratios. I would like enough vapor that it replicates actual smoking. Also any advantages about top coil, bottom coil, double coil. Is there better places to shop online, or go local? I don't want to break any rules, if there is any, about asking about brands or suppliers . Anymore info or suggestions you can give will sure be appreciated. Again, thanks for all of your help. You guys have been great. I have to quit the real cigs!!

jw, I was a smoker for over 50 years and have had copd for several years. I quit by starting out using an ego battery with ce atomizers, they were close enough to the real thing for me. I have upgraded some since then but still use them once in a while.

The coughing is pretty common for some when they quit cigarettes and some is caused by vaping. The ejuice you use can cause some of it. Nicotine level will also play a part. How you vape also can cause coughing at first. The coughing will pass though.

Try to find something you like and stick with it---------it will be WORTH it. Vist a B&M store if you have any near you and see if they will let you try some out. You can always upgrade later if you want to. I just pasted my first year without a cigarette and the results for me have been amazing (YMMV)

Good luck.

Edited to add: Don't hesitate to ask any question on ECF---lots of knowledge here willing to help. They have helped me just by reading the forum.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread