Status
Not open for further replies.

WildMan00

May 3, 2014
United States
So I'm thinking about buying a Kanger Evod starter kit for my first ecig, but I have a few concerns I would like to hear your input on.
  • I know the coils are cheap but I am a tinkerer so can I rebuild these coils? If so how long do the atomizers last?
  • Are these assemblies easy to re-wick, if so can I just use cotton balls from wal mart?
  • One more concern how long do the coils and atomizers last?

WildMan00

May 3, 2014
United States
yes yes and yes. you can rebuild the individual coil assemblies. not sure of the quality of cotton your using, but yes its possible. and the question regarding how long they last, it varies from person to person but, i usualy say 1-2 weeks with most coils replaceable units
If I build 2 coils a week with 32 gauge kanthall how many ft of kanthall would last me a month? I am just concerned I am going on vacation soon and don't want to get down there and not be able to use my ecig. Also if I rebuild the coil is it the atomizer that heats the coil? If so how long do the actual heating units last(I am not talking about the coils or wicks).

LisaR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
Martinez, CA
If you are going on vacation soon, you might just want to order some extra coil heads, so you don't have to muck around with rebuilding and rewicking a brand new set-up on vacation. They are pretty cheap, as you mentioned. Then save the rebuilding stuff for when you are back home. I don't know about you, but on vacation, I don't want to think about much more than being on vacation! Have fun!

bover907

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
Do what LisaR said, and just bring a 5pack of extra coils on vacation with you.

If I build 2 coils a week with 32 gauge kanthall how many ft of kanthall would last me a month? I am just concerned I am going on vacation soon and don't want to get down there and not be able to use my ecig. Also if I rebuild the coil is it the atomizer that heats the coil? If so how long do the actual heating units last(I am not talking about the coils or wicks).
Weather you get 32 gauge kanthal or 30 gauge depends on what kind of rebuild you do. Search for protank evod coil rebuild on youtube and watch several videos. You'll see there are two methods to rebuild. One is just wrapping wire around a silica wick, which you'd want the 32gauge kanthal for. Then, there's wrapping a micro coil around a drill bit, or precision screw driver, and then threading cotton thru it. For that, you'd want 30 gauge kanthal. You'll just have to check out the videos and see which approach you want to take.

You asked "if the atomizer heats up the coil". The coil IS the atomizer. The coil is what heats up. Think of Kanthal as like the stuff that glows inside your toaster. Electricity from the battery passes thru the coil, and it heats up. An atomizer is simply a coil around a wick.

Have fun on your vacation, and good luck.

bover907

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2014
Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
I also forgot to mention, the 5 pack of coils that comes with your evod starter kit, Plus there's a coil in each of the two tanks. That's 7 coils to vape on. That's at least a months worth of vaping right there. If you still want piece of mind, buy a 5 pack of coils to take with you. Then when you DO start rebuilding, you have a nice set of 12 coils to work with. Starter kit, and a 5 pack of extra coils.... All for still under 50 bucks.

Cookie60

May 12, 2014
Calgary, AB, Canada
Many questions - about 10 days ago, I started with an evod starter kit. It was wonderful until about five days later and it started tasting burnt and nasty. I was washing the clearomizer and head every other day, and decided to mess with the heads after seeing some vids on You Tube. Didn't go so well (Duh) so I put in new heads. All was well. A few days later, same thing, but now they still taste nasty. The starter twins have 650 mAh batteries and the head cartridges are 1.8 ohm. That means nothing to me, but might to responders (please respond).

A couple of days ago, I bought an Evod 1100 mAh battery as I vape like a fiend and was tired of running the twins back and forth to the charger so often. Got an Evod glass dual coil to go with, at 2.0 ohm. At first it was wondies. Liked getting more Vapor and taste was good but now, same deal - after only two days, it's all burnt tasting, even after a full cleaning. It's also crackling and gurgling like mad.

I wonder :

1. Am I using too high a nicotine content (18) and it's catching up to me to give the nasty taste?
2. I got juices from four different places in the last ten days. They were all good until the 'issue', but maybe the three I have now, from three dif places just happen to be not the best juice? (Unlikely they'd all turn bad, I think)
3. Could I maybe just drawing too hard and that caused all this? My glass and 1100 battery one gets pretty hot to the touch on the outside near where the coils are on the inside.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. I'm starting to be pretty frustrated and don't want to revert to smoking, but it's getting pretty tempting right NOW. Thank heavens I just have beginner stuff. Apparently I'm not very good at this!

Lurch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2014
Central Florida
How long the heads last depends a lot on the type of juice you vape. For instance, I vape mostly clear, thin, fruit flavors. My wife vapes Hazelnut Coffee which is much darker and thicker (involves PG and VG ratios but won't get into that here). The coils on her unit clog up much faster than mine. I clean and/or replace the coils on her unit about every 4-5 days. Mine I can go two weeks between cleaning.

As for drawing, learning to use an e-cigarette, or as I prefer to say, Vaporizer, takes a little time. You will eventually learn to draw much easier and longer than you did with a cigarette. I tell people its more a relaxing draw versus a "I need this" draw. It does take some time to get use to that and erase your muscle memory built from years of smoking cigarettes. The nicotine content really shouldn't enter into the issue regarding your coils.

Trust me, it only gets better with time!!

Good luck and enjoy!!

The problem is that cleaning and new heads are not resolving the problem now. All three gizmos taste like burn and I'm lost as to what to do now. Guess I will pick one, empty the juice out, that I saved from last time and clean completely again, and start again with another totally different juice. See if that makes any difference. May clean by soaking in vodka, rather than just hot water.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
The problem is that cleaning and new heads are not resolving the problem now. All three gizmos taste like burn and I'm lost as to what to do now. Guess I will pick one, empty the juice out, that I saved from last time and clean completely again, and start again with another totally different juice. See if that makes any difference. May clean by soaking in vodka, rather than just hot water.

if you have not changed the COIL, id sudjest trying a dry burn with no wick. but if you already rebuilt with kanthal, dont attempt unless you want a burn grommet.

also for the OP: if you never changed the coil, and its still the stock NR-R coil, id sudjest to not worry about carrying kanthal, just dry burn and change the wick.

So it seems I have figured out my issue. I believe I have/had a big fat case of vapers tongue. Wasn't burn I was tasting, it was that all the flavours suddenly left me and all I was tasting was the nicotine. Nicotine is not very nice tasting. When I got up yesterday after a good sleep, had my coffee and had hesitant vape, everything tasted just fine. So weird that it just hit me so fast. I dashed out and got a flavour in a completely different flavour type and switched it out a bit for the day, and it was ok. Hope that doesn't keep happening! I've been doing well at quitting smoking and was terrified it was gonna get all messed up. I do find that some juices yuck up the coil/head a lot faster than others. Don't know if it's a quality issue or just the nature of different flavourings. I sure give my little Evods a big work out every day.

if you have not changed the COIL, id sudjest trying a dry burn with no wick. but if you already rebuilt with kanthal, dont attempt unless you want a burn grommet.

also for the OP: if you never changed the coil, and its still the stock NR-R coil, id sudjest to not worry about carrying kanthal, just dry burn and change the wick.

So much better after a real good cleaning, dry burn and I was reading about folks twisting wicks with cotton ball material. Tried that and it works great. Thanks for your input. Now the fruity juice tastes fruity, not nasty, and other flavours are coming through great, too. I think it was likely the dry burns that did the best for me. It was pretty smelly, in the process, which tells me it was needed. Sure beats putting in new coil heads every other day. Just too expensive to be that lazy! Glad I kept the old heads. Got them all cleaned out, too so I can rotate them until I need new ones. Glad they are maintainable, even if they are disposable eventually. Thank goodness for help from folks like you in this forum or I'd be lost!
:thumbs:

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
So much better after a real good cleaning, dry burn and I was reading about folks twisting wicks with cotton ball material. Tried that and it works great. Thanks for your input. Now the fruity juice tastes fruity, not nasty, and other flavours are coming through great, too. I think it was likely the dry burns that did the best for me. It was pretty smelly, in the process, which tells me it was needed. Sure beats putting in new coil heads every other day. Just too expensive to be that lazy! Glad I kept the old heads. Got them all cleaned out, too so I can rotate them until I need new ones. Glad they are maintainable, even if they are disposable eventually. Thank goodness for help from folks like you in this forum or I'd be lost!
:thumbs:

just remember when dry burning, do not HOLD the button. pulse it and lightly blow on the coil to help move any debris out of the base.

im 2 weeks new into these BCC also. and it seams cotton is ALOT better then silica - yet im still having issues with using too much or too little cotton in the coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread