Kanger/istick problem. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

divein

Apr 25, 2015
Ok, so I just bought a new set up a few days ago. I'm using the kanger sub nano with the istick 30w and it was amazing the first few days. Last night I was vaping on the 30w trying to take a big drag and it starts to taste like crap. I figured maybe I had burnt the coil and needed to replace it but I've replaced the coil twice with no luck. Brand new coils still burnt taste. I am priming them correctly before use. Still crap. Is it the tank or the battery? Please help, trying to stay off the cigarettes.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
You can also cover the air intake hole with your finger and take a few puffs to prime. I find that more convenient than closing the air flow control.

No one else asked, so I will: what wattage are you vaping at? I rarely go higher than 15 watts with my subtanks (on an iStick30) and never get dry or burnt hits. You might try dialing down on the wattage, especially with a new coil. I usually start lower when the coil is new, to allow the coil to settle in, then slowly increase the wattage.

Reactions: thepeterde

divein

Apr 25, 2015
Try taking a couple of "dry" primer puffs. Close the air flow completely and take a couple of draws on it as if you're taking a hit. Then open the airflow back up and hit it normally. See if that gets it wicking properly. Does it happen on every draw, or just if you chain vape it?
After that first time it happened it was every draw. I'll try closing the airflow to see it it helps saturate more effectively.

divein

Apr 25, 2015
You can also cover the air intake hole with your finger and take a few puffs to prime. I find that more convenient than closing the air flow control.

No one else asked, so I will: what wattage are you vaping at? I rarely go higher than 15 watts with my subtanks (on an iStick30) and never get dry or burnt hits. You might try dialing down on the wattage, especially with a new coil. I usually start lower when the coil is new, to allow the coil to settle in, then slowly increase the wattage.
The original coil I had been using for a day at the lower wattage like 12-15 watts. After awhile I moved it up but at 30w is when it burned. I've tried two new coils at low watts and still tastes like burnt cotton.

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
divein, how long have you been vaping? Could even be as simple as a case of "vapor's tongue". Make sure you're drinking a lot of water to stay somewhat hydrated. Also, have you changed up flavors? You might be "burnt out" on what you're currently vaping. I've heard to sniff coffee beans or grounds to freshen your tastebuds. Might also consider a hearty menthol or cinnamon flavor to change it up a bit.

Reactions: divein

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
If your experience is anything like mine, just priming it once won't solve the issue permanently. The only permanent solution for me was to thin my juice some (I vape high VG). I tend to chain vape a bit, so that may have contributed to it for me as well.
Yep. Careful with anything higher than 75/25 with the stock OCC coils. They wick fine for a while, then start getting symptomatic of bad wicking with dry hits and inconsistent flavor. Even 80/20 can do it easily, especially if it's a darker juice. That 5% makes a huge difference with these coils. Thinning the juice slightly will also extend your coil life significantly.

kfolse107

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2014
Houma, Louisiana, United States
The original coil I had been using for a day at the lower wattage like 12-15 watts. After awhile I moved it up but at 30w is when it burned. I've tried two new coils at low watts and still tastes like burnt cotton.
I don't think anyone asked this, but which coil are you using. The nano comes with the .05 and the 1.2 ohm coils. The 1.2 is good for 12-25 watts according to Kanger. You mentioned that 30 watts is where you noticed the burn taste. If you had the 1.2 coil then that may be the problem, too much power.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
I don't think anyone asked this, but which coil are you using. The nano comes with the .05 and the 1.2 ohm coils. The 1.2 is good for 12-25 watts according to Kanger. You mentioned that 30 watts is where you noticed the burn taste. If you had the 1.2 coil then that may be the problem, too much power.
Word.

Dave2603

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2014
Stuart, Florida
It was on the .5ohm at 30 watts that I was having issues. It was definitely just that juice. Because on a new coil did the same thing. The other juices were fine. How much should I thin it out? Another question, can I rinse out that other coil to use it again?

Try about 5% distilled water and see if that does it. I think with the juice wicking right, you'll be just fine at 30 watts with the .5 ohm coil.

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
Yep. Do the math and figure out what 2.5% of your juice is. Put that much distilled water in the whole bottle. If it's still not wicking right, add about half that amount again. Really, though, 2-3% should be plenty if you're not using max vg. If you are, go with 4% and slowly step up, if needed. Don't make it too thin or you may get gurgling and flooding.

Insofar as that old coil goes, the wick is probably toast. If the actual coil looks good, you can poke the cotton out and rewick it. If you can't do that, you probably just need to toss it and use a new one, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread