kangertech subox mini scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

XXGI JOHNNYxX

Jul 29, 2015
I wrapped a .51 ohm coil and installed it on the rda section of my subtank. I then pressed the fire button for a few seconds to heat the coil up after which I compressed the coil with my ceramic tweezers. I pressed the fire button a second time and the coil began to heat up then stopped. The display screen read high temp then shut off. At which time I noticed smoke coming out of the device. I ran outside and pulled the battery out and sat everything outside to cool down. The battery had not vented and the smoke was coming from inside the kangertech subox itself. any ideas on what happened? This is not my first time building on the rda section and I always test the resistance of my coils on a ohm reader and the subox before firing them.

Citizzzen

Moved On
Sep 28, 2015
  • Deleted by retired1

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
sounds to me like something burned out in the mod, the kbox mini...is it toast? my guess is it is. i have not heard of this issue, mostly just about the firing pin not making contact once a person uses an rda on it.

Sounds like you had the subox in Temperature control mode and the convenience l got too hot or something on the board failed.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Did the RDA have a 510 pin that extended out? The KBox Mini's pin isn't spring loaded, so if you screw on an RDA with protruding 510 pins you can easily force the pin on the Kbox down into the mod, I know, I did it when I used my Velocity on mine. It didn't cause any issues for me, but I can see how it might.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I wrapped a .51 ohm coil and installed it on the rda section of my subtank. I then pressed the fire button for a few seconds to heat the coil up after which I compressed the coil with my ceramic tweezers. I pressed the fire button a second time and the coil began to heat up then stopped. The display screen read high temp then shut off. At which time I noticed smoke coming out of the device. I ran outside and pulled the battery out and sat everything outside to cool down. The battery had not vented and the smoke was coming from inside the kangertech subox itself. any ideas on what happened? This is not my first time building on the rda section and I always test the resistance of my coils on a ohm reader and the subox before firing them.

So were you compressing the coil while firing the power?

What kind of battery was it and was the battery hot or not?

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Ya the subox is toast. I'm contacting the seller after work today to get a replacement. It was only a month or 2 old so it should be covered. Really scared the wife when I flew off the couch and ran outside.

Very sorry the Subox died.

Sometimes vaping can get interesting.

I heard recently about a Mech mod blew up on someone. Don't know if that happened or just a scare tactic of the anti-vaping guys.

Hope that the vape shop will take care of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread