KangerTech Subtanks: Why are they popular?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavanyaarora

Jul 7, 2015
Hi fellow vapers,

I went ahead and purchased myself a Kanger tank as they are all over the internet. My current go to setup included an arctic tank.

Now, first of all I was bummed out by the coil watt range. I mean 30W max is a bummer as I can't get descent vapor. I bought the OCC coil pack which can go to 40W and I started vaping at 35W.

Now, If I chain vape (5-6 four second puffs), I always get dry hits. And dry to the extent where I have to cough as it is unbearable.

So Why are they popular? They can't Sub Ohm much. So many dry hits. Flavor doesn't pop out. And priced much more than Arctic...

PS: It's a Subtank Plus w/ SMOK Xpro M80 Plus (80W)

VCross

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
Yucaipa, California
It's a Subtank Plus w/ SMOK Xpro M80 Plus (80W)

Exact same setup that I have in my hand right now. I enjoy the Subtank because it's a really easy to use tank for newbies learning to DIY coils. It holds quite a bit of juice (4.2 or 4.5ml). Airflow on it is much bigger than most RTA's that I've seen except maybe the Kayfun Monster. Also, as far as I know the Arctic doesn't have any RBA options so you're stuck buying coils or trying to rebuild stock coils, which I'm too lazy to do.

As far as the dry hits go, maybe you can lower the wattage you're vaping at or let the coils steep for a bit longer? Also, What resistance are you running on your coils, what mix of juice are you using and are you doing MTL or D2L hits (mouth to lung or lung hit)? I'm running 60/40 on a 1.2 coil at 17.4W and I can't see my monitor when I blow vapor towards it and I'm not even trying to chase clouds. lol

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
are you using the original horizontal coils in it? if so, may want to get your hands on some of the new vertical .5 ohm coils... i still only run those at around 30-35 watts, but much better performance, overall... i have also seen some posts about a 'fix' for the old coils involving using a safety pin to gently poke a hole in the wicking on each side and kind of open in up a little to improve wicking - i now routinely do this on the horizontal coils, as i am using up the old ones i have also... one cool thing about the old horizontal coil heads is that you can rebuild them, as well - have done a couple of vertical coil builds in the old coil heads that worked well

Reactions: Hitcat44

this is my name

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2014
North Little Rock, AR, USA
I barely avoid dry hits at like 28 watts on the .5 ohm coil heads. I know I would be burning my wick at 35. They are popular because it was one of the first of its kind. The only sub ohm tank before it was the Atlantis and it wasn't out WAY before the SubTank.

It seems to me that kanger does a much better job of saturating the market than aspire. All the shops around me carry them and probably a large majority of online vendors do, too.

That's not to mention it gives a cooler vape which a lot of people seem to prefer. A slightly cooler, more dense, flavorful vape. If you want massive airflow and clouds, the arctic may be better for you.

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2015
Cleveland TN
I barely avoid dry hits at like 28 watts on the .5 ohm coil heads. I know I would be burning my wick at 35. They are popular because it was one of the first of its kind. The only sub ohm tank before it was the Atlantis and it wasn't out WAY before the SubTank.

It seems to me that kanger does a much better job of saturating the market than aspire. All the shops around me carry them and probably a large majority of online vendors do, too.

That's not to mention it gives a cooler vape which a lot of people seem to prefer. A slightly cooler, more dense, flavorful vape. If you want massive airflow and clouds, the arctic may be better for you.

on the original, horizontal coil heads, I run 20 watts... on the new verticals, 30-35 does not seem to be an issue...

and the arctic is definitely more of a higher powered cloud chaser - great tank (have a pair of them) but definitely a different vape than the kanger - it really comes down to what you like and what works for you, in the long run

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
The ST's are not designed to be the ultimate cloud chasers, though with the new vertical coils they do a much better job. A lot of people like them because a lot of people are not interested in creating cumulus clouds from their tank. Most just want a tank that performs well and is dependable, which the ST's do. They are also not locked into one specific function, they can be a clearo or an RTA. They are the "jack of all trades, but master of none" tank. You can get a specific tank for giant clouds, or another for superb flavor, or you can get the ST that can do it all without sacrificing too much at either end of the spectrum.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Hi fellow vapers,

I went ahead and purchased myself a Kanger tank as they are all over the internet. My current go to setup included an arctic tank.

Now, first of all I was bummed out by the coil watt range. I mean 30W max is a bummer as I can't get descent vapor. I bought the OCC coil pack which can go to 40W and I started vaping at 35W.

Now, If I chain vape (5-6 four second puffs), I always get dry hits. And dry to the extent where I have to cough as it is unbearable.

So Why are they popular?

They are popular for several reasons.

1. They're a well known name brand.
2. They're easy to find both online and in B&M stores.
3. They work well on lower-powered mods which is what most people have.
4. They're easy to use and work exactly the same as other Kanger tanks.

There are MUCH better subohm tanks on the market, but they're no where near as popular, largely because they come from companies that few people have heard of (Freemax and Sense for example) and required high powered mods to run them. When you look at the whole market, not many people actually have 100W+ mods.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Running STMs on a Kbox (0.5 OCC @ 20W), on a SubBox (0.5 OCC @ 21W), and occasionally on a SX Mini M (.12 Ni200 OCC @ 30J & 360* F) loaded with 50/50 mix Liquid.
NEVER a Dry Hit UNLESS I hit on it like one of my RDAs on a Mech. Then absolutely it will. Most RTAs will.
Again (and +1 to all similar comments above), for what they are (not for what they were never intended to be), the ST's are pretty danged Awesome all around.

Hdivr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
Rolla MO
I regularly use the nano.....but with the 1.2 coil at around 15 watts and it was a good vape (Max VG). I have tried to use the .5 coil on a mech (so around 35 watts) and it was very warm and tended to taste burnt.

What does help is replacing the wick with a looser fill of cotton or rayon. It seems to keep up then. They pack those horizontal coils TIGHT!

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
I regularly use the nano.....but with the 1.2 coil at around 15 watts and it was a good vape (Max VG). I have tried to use the .5 coil on a mech (so around 35 watts) and it was very warm and tended to taste burnt.

On a Mech with fresh Batts (or not) ????
Ah,,,,, Absolutely it will be Hot and taste like Crap.
Mismatched Devices there. Like cramming a 6.1 L Hemi in a Neon.

VNeil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2014
Ocean City, MD
I like the STM because I also drip, I'm all set up to rebuild wicks and coils, and I like to keep my consumable costs down. So I use the RTA deck. I started with the older 14W max Provari, which was perfect. When I went to a 50W mod I started having trouble with dry hits.

At the same time I got a Subox, which includes an STM with a new, very improved RTA (with holes drilled in the side of the deck tube, rather than tiny juice channels. That new RTA is good up to at least 25-30W for me, and the build is not an art form, it just always works. It does nto let me open up the Subox to 50W though, or anything close. So I would suggest picking up a couple of replacement new (V2 I think they will be called?) RTA decks when they become available. It should fix your dry hits, as long as you don't mind rebuilding.

I also like the STM because I can buy spare build decks for about $7 each. I don't think other RTA's have spare decks available? It's really nice to have a couple of spare freshly wicked decks available. It's just as convenient as a pack of coils, except it's a one time expense rather than $15 every month (and maybe shipping) for more coils.

When I want to seriously vape, I drip. I don't see the sense of fighting with the more limited juice flow of a tank. But when I am out and about or driving I want a tank that just works, and I use that tank as it was intended. So the STM works well for me. If I knew of a comparable priced tank with available spare decks that could run at 50W with no dry hits, I'd be on it. Maybe even pay a little more (I'm price sensitive unless I see clear reasons for paying extra).

ETA: I am more into flavor, definitely not into clouds for the sake of clouds. I think my STM with new RTA has far better flavor, at 25W, than my drippers at 25W, and may be better even with the dripper at 50W. Even at 10W, which I like for stealth vaping, the flavor is excellent.

MoDmAnDaN

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Spanaway, Wa.
I've been vaping for almost 3 years and I use 3 of them along with 3 Delta 2 tanks. I find the convenience out weights the smaller clouds I get from them. Plus, now that I temp control mods, they're coil heads are really easy to build Nickel coils in. I used to be a cloud chaser, went to every competition I could find and considered myself a veteran vaper.

I got old (all of a sudden) and just don't have the time to build like I used to and the Subtanks give me a satisfying vape without hassle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread