Kayfun - first time using cotton wick - now gurggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
So I'm sure this topic has been covered here ad nauseam but I couldn't find the answer after a few minutes of searching so let's tackle it again shall we?

Background:

I got a kayfun 3.1 last week and have been using it exclusively ever since.

I have alway used silica wick but decided I wanted to give cotton a try.

Using 28g Kanthol I build a .7Ω dual coil setup [dual coil on my first switch to cotton, i know hubris of me]

I added the cotton, gave it a couple of primer drips before putting the chimney on then filled her up.

I am getting wicked bad gurgling

I'm not sure if it's caused by too much cotton or not enough.

Thoughts?

Here are pictures of the coil

20140710_203235.jpg 20140710_203240.jpg

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
So I'm sure this topic has been covered here ad nauseam but I couldn't find the answer after a few minutes of searching so let's tackle it again shall we?

Background:

I got a kayfun 3.1 last week and have been using it exclusively ever since.

I have alway used silica wick but decided I wanted to give cotton a try.

Using 28g Kanthol I build a .7Ω dual coil setup [dual coil on my first switch to cotton, i know hubris of me]

I added the cotton, gave it a couple of primer drips before putting the chimney on then filled her up.

I am getting wicked bad gurgling

I'm not sure if it's caused by too much cotton or not enough.

Thoughts?

Here are pictures of the coil

View attachment 354735 View attachment 354736
Without a doubt too much cotton. You always want to err on the side of less rather than more when wicking a kayfun, I've come to realize that at least 90% of the time people's kayfun issues can be resolved by simply using less cotton (or wtvr the wicking material they happen to be using is). The key to striking the sweet spot in terms of how much wick to use (and the sweet spot is fairly narrow, mind you, but once you know what's right you'll pretty much nail it every time) is to have it where if you grab each end of the wick with your thumb and index fingers, it can slide back and forth through the coil without getting caught or meeting much resistance, you want the wick to just barely be touching the inside of the coil bc once it gets wet with e liquid it's going to expand and if it's already tight in the coil it will get strangled when saturated and be unable to wick juice to your coil. Lastly, until you get it down like really well at least once or twice, I'd recommend going single coil as it will simplify the amount of problems that can arise and lead to a less than ideal Vape. Hope that helps, enjoy your Vape =]
Keep on vaping all you cloud-chasing cowboys (and cowgirls) :vapor:

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal
Without a doubt too much cotton. You always want to err on the side of less rather than more when wicking a kayfun, I've come to realize that at least 90% of the time people's kayfun issues can be resolved by simply using less cotton (or wtvr the wicking material they happen to be using is). The key to striking the sweet spot in terms of how much wick to use (and the sweet spot is fairly narrow, mind you, but once you know what's right you'll pretty much nail it every time) is to have it where if you grab each end of the wick with your thumb and index fingers, it can slide back and forth through the coil without getting caught or meeting much resistance, you want the wick to just barely be touching the inside of the coil bc once it gets wet with e liquid it's going to expand and if it's already tight in the coil it will get strangled when saturated and be unable to wick juice to your coil. Lastly, until you get it down like really well at least once or twice, I'd recommend going single coil as it will simplify the amount of problems that can arise and lead to a less than ideal Vape. Hope that helps, enjoy your Vape =]
Keep on vaping all you cloud-chasing cowboys (and cowgirls) :vapor:

I re-wicked and the issue has been resolved.. although I kinda think I used more cotton the second time, but maybe I didn't. I kinda just placed it differently.

Maybe i'll have to get out my .001g scale and weigh the cotton before I put it in to see if i'm adding more or less each time. Regardless of whether it's more or less this time around, I'm getting a great gurgle free vape.

I've never really considered myself a cloud chaser, just looking for a good vape... but I guess if the boot fits. In any event, I am a happy vaping cowboy!

Thanks for all your help!

ILoveNorCal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2014
Nor•Cal

JKnight5

Jul 1, 2014
Louisville ky
I've been told to keep it away from the juice channels -- but that does make sense, if you think about it gurgling would indicate flooding, right?

Don't put the wick down into the juice channels, just sit it on the base of the build deck right above the channels. Turn your coils in the opposite direction, and wick it that way, that'll fix your problem. The juice is coming up the channels, and up to the build deck, then going into the air inlet. That's what's causing the gurgle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread