KFL+ leaking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

drmartis

Jul 20, 2015
Hello everybody,

have a problem with my KFL+. It's always leaking from air adjustment screw hole. Doesn't matter how much cotton insideand etc. It happens every day of use. Any suggestions? Thanks.

IMG_6749sm.jpg

dhood

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2014
Georgia
Sounds like you have a leak somewhere else. I'd check the o-ring where the chimney meets the top cap and make sure it is intact and in place. you have air getting in somewhere and it is flooding. Since you're using the drop kit, I'd check the tank to make sure it isn't cracked, then the o-rings for it to make sure they aren't split. The last one is the o-ring on the top cap. If it is slightly off, air can get in and you'll get the flooding you see. Out of curiosity, do you fill from the top or bottom?

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My kayfuns all leech liquid out of the fill screw. I got a couple without airflow screw and they leech also. The only kayfun I have that doesn't leak are my authentic kayfun and Russian. I made myself a bunch of small orings with carto condoms, I drilled a small hole in the carto condom then set it into a small nut and xacto knife cut around the screw. It does help with the leaching but they all still leach a little juice. I tried all sorts of different small orings but none really solved my problem. I've come across no real fix for this so I just go with it and make sure the kayfun base and my 510 is always clean when I refill. That oring that is on the top of the chimney is important to be clean and dry in behind cause if it isn't and there is juice behind it then the vacuum will be compromised and it will probably leak. Wicking also can cause the kayfun to leak but it usually pours out the airflow when the wicking is off or covering the juice channel.
This is how my kayfun wick looks like just before I put it all back together (pinched with tweezers) and I have no leaking issues cause the channels are unobstructed. I wick my attys with rayon.

no1.jpg

no2.jpg

no3.jpg

Reactions: Arnold Ziffle

drmartis

Jul 20, 2015
My kayfuns all leech liquid out of the fill screw. I got a couple without airflow screw and they leech also. The only kayfun I have that doesn't leak are my authentic kayfun and Russian. I made myself a bunch of small orings with carto condoms, I drilled a small hole in the carto condom then set it into a small nut and xacto knife cut around the screw. It does help with the leaching but they all still leach a little juice. I tried all sorts of different small orings but none really solved my problem. I've come across no real fix for this so I just go with it and make sure the kayfun base and my 510 is always clean when I refill. That oring that is on the top of the chimney is important to be clean and dry in behind cause if it isn't and there is juice behind it then the vacuum will be compromised and it will probably leak. Wicking also can cause the kayfun to leak but it usually pours out the airflow when the wicking is off or covering the juice channel.
This is how my kayfun wick looks like just before I put it all back together (pinched with tweezers) and I have no leaking issues cause the channels are unobstructed. I wick my attys with rayon.

Nice! I'll try your "technique" tonight. Thank You!

Reactions: Alter

Denvap0r

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2014
Colorado
If you like the kayfun design and vape from it, I would recommend trying the kayfun v4. Has a juice control so that you can actually shut off the juice flow and fill easily from the top. You can even remove the build deck with a full tank for any adjustments like rewicking. I used them for awhile with never any leaking issues. Good solid RTA.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Check all the o-rings, even the one on the fill screw.

I have 8 various KF clones, and the only time I get leaks are when there's something loose. The o-ring at the top of the chimney is a prime suspect.

Once I've assembled them, I'll cover the air intake(s) and draw gently. If I get air movement through the KF, there's a bad seal somewhere. If filled with it that way, it will leak either out the air intakes or the adjust screw.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
This is how my kayfun wick looks
WoW! That's a lot of wick. I use about half that much, but I use cotton. If I put that much in mine it would flood constantly. I do poke down the sides to open up the sots the same way though.

Once I've assembled them, I'll cover the air intake(s) and draw gently.
I do the same, but I still get a condensation leak out of the AFC screw. Maybe my tobeco and SM clones are just inferior.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Ya it is a lot of wicking but you have to wick rayon differently than cotton/hemp. The cotton expands when its juiced but the rayon doesn't so you have to have the rayon almost snug in the coil rather than loose like you would wick with cotton.
The rayon I have in the first pic does seem to look like a lot but its waterfall'd cause I push all the ends against the back corner so they don't get caught in the threads. I juice the wick before I put the chimney on cause I think a juiced wick is much easier to work with. That waterfall look is what I recreate inside after the chimney is set in then make the V with tweezers and adjust accordingly. I do trim the front corners of the rayon back by fanning it out first, dry and with some larger diameter builds I do remove some of the bulk to thin the wicking some.
When cleaning its a good habit to remove all the orings and alcohol/Qtip clean the grooves where they sit, I also have very few leaking issues of any kind with my kayfuns and the ones I've had are usually oring based.
Rayon works great in my kayfun builds, much better IMO than cotton since it lasts longer before pooping out so rewicking less is good for me.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
My KFL+v2 does the same thing. It starts flooding sometimes when I go from air conditioned inside to hot outside. Or hot outside to air conditioned car.

I guess the vacuum really doesn't like swift changes in temperature. It never happened like that in the winter. I've been looking into a summer tank that won't leak as much, but nothing tastes as good as the KFL and I'm a flavor junkie.

Reactions: Hans Wermhat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread