Lets Talk Drip Tips In Relation to Flavor Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen much talk about this and I think it makes a difference.
For me when I have a thinner diameter drip tip, The flavor is better.
With the thinner hole the air is more constricted giving you a more intense jet of flavor on your tongue, and not constricted in a bad way, still plenty of air flow, just directed in a better way. Now of course its not easy to drip with these, but easy enough to pop it off real quick.

This is my take on it, what have you guys experienced?

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I really haven't toyed with changing out drip tips, I've just been using the stock drip tips that comes with my tanks. So I'm not well versed on how a different design drip tip will affect the vape. Although I have thought about getting a Hello Kitty drip tip just to freak my daughter out (she loves Hello Kitty).

Noble Gas

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Completely opposite experience for me. I have a lot of tips of various materials and sizes, and I regularly switch them out to see what delivers the best flavor for each of my different setups. Once I got a couple shorty wide bore Delrin tips, I threw all my other tips in a drawer. The first tip to go in that drawer was the narrow bore tip that came with my kayfun. For me, that one was like a 60% drop in flavor from other stainless tips of the same length.
The bottom line is that everyone's taste buds are different. Glad you found what works for you, though. I know how great it is when that happens.
And yeah, I've not seen a lot of discussion about tips on this forum, though I haven't really searched for it. I just got my first glass tip, because I once heard someone raving about glass as giving the best flavor. Again, a huge drop compared to the shorties. Material doesn't seem to matter to my palate at all, but length makes a huge difference. I just prefer Delrin because it doesn't collect lip-gunk like the steel and glass ones do. And polished stainless is better than brushed. My brushed steel wide bore shorties give great flavor but the gunk piles up twice as fast as it did on the polished steel tips.
You'll see the acronym YMMV (your mileage may vary) on this forum a lot, and that's because everyone's experience with vape gear is often wildly different from everyone else's.
I'm just glad e-cig manufacturers make all this stuff with so much variety and choices available.

Yeah I bought a few different drip tips and I keep going back to my thinner delrin tip because of that jet of vapor it gives you right on your tongue, If you do lung inhales it really changes the way it vapes, But for mouth to lung inhales it probably wouldn't do much.
and I see a lot of people using the widest tip they can find haha that's why I wanted to start this thread.

Also hats of to that tardis E-cig in your picture, an E-leaf 50w I think, it looks awesome haha

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
I have like 5 of these guys, and I pretty much use them exclusively,

Big_Well_Black_DT_WM__17475.1405415811.1280.1280.jpg

but I also have some chuff-style stupid-wide-bore tips/tops. I definitely prefer the flavor from a reduced chamber/smaller drip tip. It is noticeably better. One of my chuff caps even has an "air injection" hole, like a small hole in the tip. While it does help with airflow, it does not do anything to flavor.

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
I have to agree, I find the narrow ones to be much better, get better flavour and an all round better vape..take the big bore off the Kanger Subtank Mini for example and the inside diameter is much smaller anyway plus I can't stand metal tips..

Here's my Subtank with my custom tip on it, waaaay better and looks cool..

6z8xfk.jpg

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
If one vapes on a variety of toppers, it's usefull to have a set of drip tips so you use the same type of tips on different tanks; that way you don't jump to conclusions about a particular tank when it's really the tip causing a key difference.

These day's I find myself preferring big airflow and wide mouth tips.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I agree about having a set of favorites; I don't like many "stock" driptips, though with my Caterpillar, the driptip is the only part I like! :D I prefer the "Ming" style; I like the rounded-ness at the top, nice and gentle on the lips, and mine all appear to have actual openings about 4-5mm, which is pretty slim.

I have some "piccolo" drip tips, and when I first quit smoking, I found the slender feel of those on my lips quite satisfying, but since they're glass and quite narrow, I very quickly got sick of the constant swabbing they require; they build up condensate FAST, which looks terrible and will quickly cause gurgling if you don't wipe it out.

I have one metal tip that I really like -- a Ming in gun-metal stainless -- and another I tolerate -- the Caterpillar's -- but all my other Mings are acrylic; I really like those the best.

Since I started buying RDAs, I usually get them without a driptip, which saves a little; I don't like most 'stock' tips anyway. OH and I usually use a swivel 'knucklehead' with my Magma, it keeps the hot spats off my lips (it also allows the Magma to stay upright instead of tilted, which can easily cause leaking!). Need to get a couple more of those.

Andria

Rixsta

The Millionaire Vapor' The Enabler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2015
Somerset, UK
That custom tip looks sweet

Yeah, I've had a lot of tips but nothing that looks as good as this and made to this standard, he has video's of them been made too, how cool is that and best of all, it's one of a kind, there's not another one like it..
It all came about because it was really hard to find a drip tip that fitted perfect in my Kanger Subtank Mini, there would always be a gap at the bottom or picking the tank up by the tip, it would almost drop out, a complete no no for me, so it was time to spend the extra and have a custom one built. I don't like metal tips especially big bore...ish.. Such a good tank let down by an awful tip in my opinion, that was too wide and too stubby. If I'm using a dripper then that's different.
The flavour and the draw compared to stock is miles apart, ever looked at how small the hole is inside the tank, I see no reason for such an open tip, the narrow tips give much more flavour, combine this with the Isle of Custard juice and its beyond anything I could of imagined when I started on the 1st Gen E Cigs. I'm more addicted to this setup than I ever was on the stinky's, lucky without the extra 4000 chemicals or the 40000 chemicals if you buy from the dodgy bloke in the pub ha..

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a selection of various drip tips in different sizes, shapes and materials.

Small bore drip tips restrict air flow. I generally vape higher power setups and higher air flow is an important factor in this. Less airflow generally enhances flavor, weather this comes from restricted atty air passages or from restricted drip tips doesn't seem to make much difference. Atty design is huge for this also. You can also get variable air flow DT's.

Drip tip shape choice affects air flow. It's impossible to get the wide open air flow from a ming DT that you can easily get from a fairly open DT like this one. Then there are the massive Chuff Enough DT's like these.

I used to like plastic DT's, but have switched to metal now. Yes, plastic DT's don't gunk up as quickly (lower coefficient of friction so gunk doesn't stick as much), but I can rinse off a SS or brass DT when I feel like it and that takes care of that.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I must admit, Glass is wayy better than SS IMO! i bought a long angled glass drip tip and my god the flavour through that is insane compared to the stock subtank tip!

Instead of buying angled drip tips, I bought a pack of these
1567000-3.jpg

and have a second set on the way.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
That's a Siam mods tip

Just do a google search for titanium drip tips there's 100's now

I have 6 diff

There not cheap though man that titanium is tough to mill when you add details and fins and stuff
IMG_20141027_130941.jpg
I have a long version of this one on my dripper

It will still get hot but it doesn't hold it

I tried glass, ended up breaking one at work and tailpiping all day. Said fuggedaboutit

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I've not noticed a difference in flavor with tips, only differences in comfort via materials made of, appearance, durability, and cost.

I prefer a larger size tip (it's sort of like an adult pacifier). I also like it to "top off" the appearance of the mod its on. My vaping pleasure can be as much about appearance as functionality.

Although I use the stock SS drip tip on my Kayfun, I generally don't like using metal tips. Metal tips are not as comfortable on the lips (and teeth) for me, and are more likely to collect lip burger crud.

My all-time favorite tip is a black delrin Knucklehead currently sitting on my RDA and mechanical mod. Inexpensive, comfortable (adjustable tilt and nice shape), no heat transfer, no burgers.

I've also used a variety of pyrex (pretty, most comfortable but expensive and fragile) and Trustone tips (also pretty and comfortable, but expensive and fragile). Acrylic is another good alternative.

My favorite website for fancy drip tips is Drip Tip Designz.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread