Lorann oils watermellon flavor ok for DIY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015
it has the red 40 and red 3, i'm assuming not to use these for diy juices? if it had only water, PG, artificial flavor, would it be ok to use? question 2) do all flavors contain artificial flavor? or will some contain natural flavor? 1 dram of these oils are only $2 at my local bulk barn, so it would be nice if i could use the small lorann selection they do have with the glycerin they have there. If I were to make a e juice with just glycerin and a pg based flavor, would it be what is known as max VG? Thanks ahead everyone, new to the community and loving it so far.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I don't use Lorann but some people do. Best Lorann Flavors for Vaping – Color Coded Spreadsheet

Many flavoring companies DO NOT use food coloring/additives/oil/etc.

As far as I know there is no definition of "Max VG" as far as percentage of total VG in the juice. The % of flavoring used in your juice/recipe will vary greatly depending on the flavoring company.

Last edited:

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
Considering all flavoring is PG, no juice is 100% VG. Max VG is the maximum that any company can make it with usually with VG based nicotine. I'm currently vaping a 95% VG juice from Clouds of Goodness but you can only buy it in B&Ms. The kind folks at CoG were the ones that enlightened me to this fact. I diy most of my juices with a 80% VG ratio as I have a lot of PG based nicotine from my last purchase.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
Considering all flavoring is PG, no juice is 100% VG. Max VG is the maximum that any company can make it with usually with VG based nicotine. I'm currently vaping a 95% VG juice from Clouds of Goodness but you can only buy it in B&Ms. The kind folks at CoG were the ones that enlightened me to this fact. I diy most of my juices with a 80% VG ratio as I have a lot of PG based nicotine from my last purchase.

not all flavoring is PG
Compiled List of PG-Free flavorings and Vendors who sell them | E-Cigarette Forum

To the OP that is a good spreadsheet on the Lorains as there are quite a few of their flavorings that are not really suitable for vaping.

addicted behavior

Jun 15, 2015
I have tried a few of the Lorann flavors found at hobby stores and Walmart. The watermelon did not work for me at all. ! used it up to 25 percent and could get no watermelon flavor at all...i used the same stuff in some hard candy and it was awesome. the Raspberry is better..I like it allot even though it has food coloring. it is candy like, so i added some TFA sour, and it was great! I also lik my ratio around 65/35 , VG/PG as it wicks good and the flavor is more intense. If you go more vg, I find I need more flavoring as i like allot of flavor...but it is up to your taste buds to decide that....

Reactions: Arriss

WonderDude32

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
Clarksville, TN
not all flavoring is PG
Compiled List of PG-Free flavorings and Vendors who sell them | E-Cigarette Forum

To the OP that is a good spreadsheet on the Lorains as there are quite a few of their flavorings that are not really suitable for vaping.

Thanks Truli! I never bothered to look for these as I don't have any issues with PG but will surely remember for those that do. I always wondered why you could have VG based nic so why couldn't you have VG based flavors? Now I know.

Reactions: YoursTruli

WereBear

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2015
S.E. USA
LA Watermelon is the main flavor in my current DIY ADV. I can't speak to how well it performs with factory build coil heads but I've had no problem with gunking up my self wrapped/wicked coils.

One thing to remember is that Lorann's focus is candy making so whatever LA flavor you get is going to taste like the candy version, not like natural. The watermelon flavor taste like Jolly Rancher watermelon candy, not like a real watermelon. Their cherry flavor tastes like Robotussin at least until it steeps for a few weeks, then it tastes like cherry candy but not like cherries off a tree.

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015
LA Watermelon is the main flavor in my current DIY ADV. I can't speak to how well it performs with factory build coil heads but I've had no problem with gunking up my self wrapped/wicked coils.

One thing to remember is that Lorann's focus is candy making so whatever LA flavor you get is going to taste like the candy version, not like natural. The watermelon flavor taste like Jolly Rancher watermelon candy, not like a real watermelon. Their cherry flavor tastes like Robotussin at least until it steeps for a few weeks, then it tastes like cherry candy but not like cherries off a tree.
is it safe to vape triacetin? and if a flavor mentioned it has alcohol i dont have to add that in my ejuicemeup calculator right?

Arriss

Jun 24, 2015
Central Tx
I used the Loranns --"Anise"--Oil and have made some tasty Licorice flavor with 7 mils of PG and 3 mils of VG and 10 drops of Anise Oil.

People have been advising against any sort of oil but this has not killed me yet-------hahahahahahah

Awesome ! Enjoy. Everyone is different, reason prior to E cigs, there were many, many different brand cigs to choose from.

Reactions: thetrucker

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015

Thats perfect im actually looking for the candy type flavors!! Have you tried there grape yet?

Reactions: thetrucker

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015
Thats perfect im actually looking for the candy type flavors!! Have you tried there grape yet?
How do you feel about using the flavorings with food color cause LA all the flavs seem to have coloring but i have found a store that sells most of the 1 dram super concentrated LA flavs and there all the fruit ones. Im going to try them even if theres food coloring.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
candy type flavors
I made a nice bubble gum flavor by accident the other day. 10% each FW Sweet Strawberry and TFA DX Banana Cream. Added 50/50 nic juice a,d topped off with VG. 75VG/25PG. ---100% tasty in a dripper!

How do you feel about using the flavorings with food color
Food colorings can be nasty. They gunk up coils and can have health risks.

Reactions: Village_DIYer

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015
I made a nice bubble gum flavor by accident the other day. 10% each FW Sweet Strawberry and TFA DX Banana Cream. Added 50/50 nic juice a,d topped off with VG. 75VG/25PG. ---100% tasty in a dripper!

I noticed loranns cherry and apple are clear? I found that odd considering the cherry contains the exact same coloring as the watermelon?? lol. Im glad I found the local bulk barn sells dram bottles for $2, at least I can try a few flavors without having to invest to much or pay shipping cost. But they only have maybe ten different flavors and a few are the oil flavorings.

Village_DIYer

Jun 18, 2015

Hans where do you get your base?? and what do you think about using EM, tfa smooth, mts vape wizard, LA tart and sour, do you use any of these? if so, do you know any Canadian vendors who have all of the above in stock?? I really want to play with these flavor enhancers, I have no doubt that many premium juices are made using many of these little extras. I want to know how people feel about these enhancers and there take on them.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Hans where do you get your base??
I get most of my supplies from One Stop DIY. Not sure about shipping to Canada, but in US they charge a flat $5.25 for any order under $75. They have decent prices on flavorings, but are a lil higher on the Nic Liq than some places. For me, it works out cheaper because shipping is cheap. They have flavors from half a dozen companies in 15mL to 4 oz sizes, and some in gallon jugs. Haven't tried any of those flavors. Tried TFA SOUR. Was NOT impressed. It's not sour at all. Just adds a funk to the final product. You can try My Freedom Smokes as well. They have a better price on Nic Liq, and have more in the way of mixing goodies (beakers, cylinders, etc...) but shipping is higher.

LobsterGoD

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2009
it has the red 40 and red 3, i'm assuming not to use these for diy juices? if it had only water, PG, artificial flavor, would it be ok to use? question 2) do all flavors contain artificial flavor? or will some contain natural flavor? 1 dram of these oils are only $2 at my local bulk barn, so it would be nice if i could use the small lorann selection they do have with the glycerin they have there. If I were to make a e juice with just glycerin and a pg based flavor, would it be what is known as max VG? Thanks ahead everyone, new to the community and loving it so far.
Max VG refers to only using VG as a base and the only PG added is in small amounts from the flavorings as most flavors are suspended in PG. Anything at 90VG/10PG or above could be called max VG.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
Anything at 90VG/10PG or above could be called max VG.
I have run across a few that say "max VG" that are closer to 70/30 due t the amount of flavorings added. I think they use "max VG" as a marketing tool. It lets them say they have a high VG content without actually telling the consumer what they are really buying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread