Maximum battery discharge current

Status
Not open for further replies.

RipCigs

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2015
Croatia
Basically I'm using Panasonic NCR-18650A batteries. I have a sigelei 30 coming, and i was checking how well these batteries will work with it. The vendor i got these batteries from stated:
  • 18650 3100 mAh non protected rechargeable battery
  • Nominal capacity: 3100 mAh
  • Voltage: 3.6V- 4,2V
  • 4.2 volts max voltagei 3.6 volts nominal voltage
  • Discharge current 2C=6.2A (up to 23W)
I don't get the "up to 23W" part. By Ohms law, 6.2A with 1.2 ohms is 46 watts. Does that mean this battery can handle the 30W with no problems or not?
I might sound paranoid but you know, mods blowing up in my face and all. Figured better to ask the veterans :)

Thanks!

Hoosier

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
Indiana
Um...no.

A battery is a power supply with a fixed voltage. Max power is max power. Ohms law doesn't state otherwise, that would mean a poor understanding of the law. (v=ir so i=v/r or i=4.2/1.2<6.2 so a 1.2 ohm coil on your battery should be fine. And if you figure power p=iv and i=v/r so p=v*v/r which means 1.2 ohms is close to 11 watts.)

The only way I could come close to your numbers is if I assumed the battery was a current supply with unlimited voltage. Since it's not, there is no way to get to such a high wattage as your OP suggested. Hopefully this makes sense and if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. There are quite a few members on here that have a good grasp of DC electrical theory who are willing to help.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Basically I'm using Panasonic NCR-18650A batteries. I have a sigelei 30 coming, and i was checking how well these batteries will work with it. The vendor i got these batteries from stated:
  • 18650 3100 mAh non protected rechargeable battery
  • Nominal capacity: 3100 mAh
  • Voltage: 3.6V- 4,2V
  • 4.2 volts max voltagei 3.6 volts nominal voltage
  • Discharge current 2C=6.2A (up to 23W)
I don't get the "up to 23W" part. By Ohms law, 6.2A with 1.2 ohms is 46 watts. Does that mean this battery can handle the 30W with no problems or not?

It doesn't matter what the resistance is when you're vaping in variable wattage mode since the DC-DC regulator controls the mod's output. Batteries do not change their voltage, the regulator takes battery output and changes the voltage to what is correct to keep the watts at set point for the resistance in the atty. What remains constant is power (watts) out from the batteries equals power out from the mod plus regulator inefficiency loss.

The Sigelei 30 watt uses one battery. Here is the Steam Engine battery drain calculator. Leave it set for 'power regulation (VW)', enter 30 watts for 'Power (wattage) setting' and make the 'Battery voltage' 3 volts which is about the lowest it will ever be and amp draw will be the highest. In the 'Battery drain' window you'll see that battery drain current will be 11.11 amps. Change the resistance to 0.3 ohms and battery draw stays at 11.11A. Increase the battery voltage to 4.2V as it will be with a fully charged battery and you'll see battery amp draw has gone down to 7.94A.

This is not the way it works with mechanical mods or when setting volts in a regulated mod. Battery current draw with a mechanical is highest at 4.2V per battery so use 4.2V with a single battery mod for these calcs. In a VV mod use 3V for a single battery mod as that works the same as in VW. If you set this up in the calculator you'll see that the lower the resistance the higher the battery current draw becomes.

16.7 watts will draw around 6.19A from the battery so that's the highest wattage you should use with these Panasonic batteries. 30 watts needs 11.11A and I would go a bit higher than that so you are never at the maximum limit of the battery. There are no batteries that I'm aware of rated for 15A so I suggest you get 20A batteries like the Samsung 25R or LG HE2 or HE4. They are 2500 mAh which is less than these Panasonics have, but 20A batteries have less voltage drop under load so it is really not as much less run time as you might think from the numbers. Unfortunately you can't have everything in one battery.

I might sound paranoid but you know, mods blowing up in my face and all. Figured better to ask the veterans

It's always good to ask :thumb:

Enjoy the new mod!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread