Mech mods with little voltage drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
I have an akuma v3 and I can feel the voltage drop when my battery hits about 3.9v which I really don't like, which mechs have you guys experienced the least amount of voltage drop with? I clean it about every 2 days and it's still not helping so thanks guys!
Do you have an inline volt meter? That'd be the easiest way to tell what kind of voltage drop you're experiencing. The other possible culprit could be your battery. What battery are you using?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Not much you can do. Buy a C145 Tellurium Copper mod, maybe. Bottom line is, on a mech, the mod is the current pathway and I^2R losses exist. Keeping it clean is a great idea-- don't forget to clean the threads where the caps screw on and the tubes screw together, if they do-- and it helps. But it can't be eliminated. Even a regulated mod can't eliminate it, but it can compensate to some degree. I have a couple copper mods. They help, but not a lot.

Reactions: DergBerg

yuseffuhler

Ultra Member
Mar 28, 2015
Houghton, MI
Oh can someone explain to me what a kick chip does? Iv never really understood it's perpose I don't have an inline volt meter, and I'm using a Samsung 25r it is a little bit old tho
A kick is a way to regulate power in a mech mod. They generally don't go past 15 watts or so, not in my range of vaping. That samsung is a good battery but it might be time to replace it. How long have you had it?

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
What resistance are you generally running? I find that even around ~0.4-0.6 my tube mech really suffers past about 3.9V. I have a copper/silver mech with excellent performance, but still the effective battery range is pretty small before things get noticeable. I have to assume lower builds would just exacerbate things.

I've recently moved to a dual parallel mech, and while I haven't done any testing for hard numbers yet, I do find that I can get a little closer to nominal voltage before the vape really starts to suffer.

I grabbed a dual battery mod for the battery life, but I've been super pleased with the performance in general. Something to consider if the extra size/weight isn't an issue.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Oh can someone explain to me what a kick chip does? Iv never really understood it's perpose I don't have an inline volt meter, and I'm using a Samsung 25r it is a little bit old tho is there any way I can reduce battery sag ?
In general, a "kick" is a "regulated mod on a chip." you put it in line with the battery and you can regulate the wattage going to the atty. But they aren't real powerful. 15 watts is the biggest I have ever seen...

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Oh can someone explain to me what a kick chip does? Iv never really understood it's perpose I don't have an inline volt meter, and I'm using a Samsung 25r it is a little bit old tho is there any way I can reduce battery sag ?

A new 25R5 (the green wrap 25R) might help some. As a battery ages its internal resistance increases and that increases the voltage drop inside the battery.

Otherwise, the VTC4 runs at a slightly higher voltage when above 3.4V and might give you a bit less overall voltage drop.

Reactions: suprtrkr

Thediscoranger

Dec 13, 2014
    I run a .3 ohm build I generally use regulated mods but I like to use mechs when I'm out and about normally I run my regulated at 45-60 watts so a kick won't help haha, 25r5 are those new? And Iv had this battery for like 6 months or so I know I need a new one haha but I don't want to buy one. The only reason I want to use a mech is because I hate carrying aroundy IPv4 it's not portable like mech makes me sad haha

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    How come kicks can't run at like 50watts? Is it because 1 battery can't handle it or?
    Because nobody builds one. There's no reason a 50 watt kick couldn't be built, but they'd sell fewer 50 watt mods if they did. It's also true one battery can't handle that load. But a 35-40 watt kick could be made.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I run a .3 ohm build I generally use regulated mods but I like to use mechs when I'm out and about normally I run my regulated at 45-60 watts so a kick won't help haha, 25r5 are those new? And Iv had this battery for like 6 months or so I know I need a new one haha but I don't want to buy one. The only reason I want to use a mech is because I hate carrying aroundy IPv4 it's not portable like mech makes me sad haha

The 25R5 is the newer green wrap 25R. They call the older blue wrap one the 25R2.
    Both are very close to each other in performance but the 25R5 is supposed to give you more charges/discharges before you have to replace it. No one knows how many more.

I only recommended the green label 25R5 because it would guarantee that you're getting a fairly recent manufacture battery. :)

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 12, 2014
    An in-line volt meter between the mod and the topper will just tell you what your battery is putting out at the mom normallyent. It seems that you are being able to tell without it. They are cheap to buy.

Getting some extra batteries to switch out would be helpful if you are going to stay with a mech as an out and about mod.

I still have one mech and I used it just last weekend (for the physical beauty of it), but tech has moved along. It is in my car normally.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread