Mech or box mod clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oceanrift

Feb 7, 2014
NY, NY, USA
Although I've been tempted into buying another regulated device to replace my 30w rdna that I gave to a friend, nothing beats the dependability of a mechanical. No need to worry about circuitry going bad. Just my preference.

Now when it comes to suggesting an unregulated vs regulated, I'm always hesitant. At the shop I work at, unless I feel that the person buying knows what they're doing, I always try to steer them towards devices that provides some sort of safety/protection.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
ie: if you've been building that CLT for awhile and know what you are doing / got the ohms law down, then go for the mech, they are fun and the vape you get is a direct result of the coils you build.
if you are not very good at this yet and want something that you can just crank up the power with whatever carefree build you throw in there and know that the device has built-in limits in the case you didn't do it right, then get the regulated.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Why not both? A Mech Box Mod. Ta-Da! lol
Really dig my 2 dual 18650 Mech Boxes with RDA Rigs.
Know (or refer to an App like Vaper's Toolbox etc) Ohm's Law, build accordingly checking with a Meter during, Screw it on, Hit the Button, Fire In The Hole (safe Fire at that) & Enjoy! Sounds much more daunting than it really is when you take the plunge and do so wisely.

Also own a couple VV/VW Devices for RTAs for when Dripping isn;t a desirable option and dig those as well. Just not quite as much as the Mechs & RDAs.
I have a full-Copper Fogger v4.1 built at @ .65 I do run on both types as well which is satisfying on either.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
Mech mod if you want to have "fun building". (Meaning spending more time trying to get it all working right and keep it working than you actually do using it.) Primarily preferred by vape shop employees who have nothing better to do than sit around and poke at their RDA all day long. Yeah, you can eventually get what you want out of it, but it will take weeks, months, even years to get it all "perfect", and then it will last about half a day before you're taking it apart and trying again.

Regulated if you simply want the biggest clouds possible. You can always provide more power to a coil than is safe or even possible to do with a mech.

I've done both over the past couple of years. The "fun" aspect of mechs quickly became tedious busy work that took up a lot of time that I could have spent on something much better. Still build coils for my Squape R, but I'm at the point where I build a single coil for it and use that coil for 1-2 months before building the next. Rewick maybe twice a week. Fortunately rewicking the Squape only takes about 3 minutes to do and is super easy, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

And as for BIG clouds, I would say MAYBE 2% of RDA users can keep up with my Freemax Starre for that. I see RDA users all of the time trying to show off their latest build that took them a week to perfect and think to myself "that's it?" Dual coil, .25ohms, 70watts... The flavor is absolutely amazing and I can cloud up an entire room in 2-3 good hits. Want a warmer hit and even more clouds, just crank it up to 100W. Now with temperature control coming, well, there just isn't any comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Mech mod if you want to have "fun building". (Meaning spending more time trying to get it all working right and keep it working than you actually do using it.) Primarily preferred by vape shop employees who have nothing better to do than sit around and poke at their RDA all day long. Yeah, you can eventually get what you want out of it, but it will take weeks, months, even years to get it all "perfect", and then it will last about half a day before you're taking it apart and trying again.

Regulated if you simply want the biggest clouds possible. You can always provide more power to a coil than is safe or even possible to do with a mech.

I've done both over the past couple of years. The "fun" aspect of mechs quickly became tedious busy work that took up a lot of time that I could have spent on something much better. Still build coils for my Squape R, but I'm at the point where I build a single coil for it and use that coil for 1-2 months before building the next. Rewick maybe twice a week. Fortunately rewicking the Squape only takes about 3 minutes to do and is super easy, otherwise I wouldn't bother.

And as for BIG clouds, I would say MAYBE 2% of RDA users can keep up with my Freemax Starre for that. I see RDA users all of the time trying to show off their latest build that took them a week to perfect and think to myself "that's it?" Dual coil, .25ohms, 70watts... The flavor is absolutely amazing and I can cloud up an entire room in 2-3 good hits. Want a warmer hit and even more clouds, just crank it up to 100W. Now with temperature control coming, well, there just isn't any comparison.

Well Shazam Gomer! Quite the Curious & Inane Splattering of Equine Defecation ya done there,,,
None the less (or more for that matter),,,,, Good For YOU!

Reactions: Asbestos4004

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
There are box mods which are either mechanical or regulated (high wattage). A dual- battery box mod will have longer battery life than a single-battery box mod.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:
  • The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.
  • The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience.
  • Has built-in protective circuitry against short circuits, atomizer shorts, accidentally putting battery in backwards, and over-heating.
  • Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery status and the ohm of the coil.
Regulated Con's:
  • Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time; electrical components might fail.
  • Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire sub-ohm coils.
Mechanical Pro's:
  • Generally speaking, made to be more durable and withstand some physical abuse. No electronics to fail.
  • Able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.
  • Many are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces.

Mechanical Cons:
  • No protection circuitry. This is a big one for beginners. The user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. Must have ventilation holes and a hot spring for a venting battery.
  • No built-in voltage or resistance meters.
  • No way to regulate the battery output. As the battery drains during use, the vapor will continually decline gradually. No way to adjust the vape experience except by changing the atomizer resistance.

Last edited:

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia

Just thinking out loud here....if you think it takes weeks to tweak a perfect build in an rda for a mech, perhaps you just don't build very good. 99% of the time, I'm using a REO or some other mechanical squonker. I've never taken more than 10 minutes to rebuild and wick. I rebuild when I want to, not when I need to because so far, I've never popped a coil. Rewicking? I can wick a bottom feeding dual coil faster than you can wick your squape.
Clouds....well, if clouds mattered, I'd invite you to bring your starre tank and I'll just use a simple .26 Ga dual in a derringer on a REO. You're entire post is full of wrong.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Addressing the two above posts by Completely Average and Asbestos.

I worked in a vape shop where the employees were expert coil builders. Most of them would rebuild their coils every other day. Not necessarily because they had to, but because of the hobbyist/enthusiast nature of their personalities. They just loved making exotic coils and tweaking their results.

I'm pretty good at making simple coils. I don't particularly enjoy making coils. Mine last at least a couple of months, sometimes several months. I simply dry burn them between wick changes.

Oceanrift

Feb 7, 2014
NY, NY, USA
There are box mods which are either mechanical or regulated (high wattage). A dual- battery box mod will have longer battery life than a single-battery box mod.

Mechanical Cons:

• No protection circuitry. This is a big one for beginners. The user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit which could cause the battery to vent into thermal runaway. Must have ventilation holes and a hot spring for a venting battery.
    • No built-in voltage or resistance meters.
    • No way to regulate the battery output. As the battery drains during use, the vapor will continually decline gradually. No way to adjust the vape experience except by changing the atomizer resistance.

I'm a unregulated/mechanical guy. I love the stuff. But it is in a way a "dark art." If you use these devices, you need to respect them. All you need is one "oops" moment and things can get nasty. I've seen the most experienced guys slip up. I consider myself pretty safe, but even I nearly had a thermal runaway event. This is why when we get people coming into the shop looking to make "big clouds" and shrug me off about the importance of having an ohm meter all they hear is "blah blah blah, you just want to make money off of me." I want to scream and shove an ego in their face and tell them to be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread