Mechanical box mod issue.....Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugs1970

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Manchester UK
Hey all, I bought a vampire mechanical box mod from fasttech, got it last week and have had no end of issues with the battery configeration, there are no markings for + or - on it anywhere and the first stab at putting batteries in it got warm so I swapped them over and then it worked fine...until i came to swap the batteries again, I had marked a + and - on the bottom so I knew which way to put them in, the thing is it had changed over?? it got really hot straight away so i switched them over...worked fine again, THEN i cam to change them again and no matter which was I put the batteries in it shorted and got hot instantly......any ideas??
tempted to throw the thing in the bin for all the help fasttech were :-S

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Welcome to the board. When it is getting hot you have the batteries in so they are each discharging into each other. That is very bad news. You can easily get a thermal runaway like that, causing the batteries to vent, or light on fire, or in extreme cases, even explode. Frankly, throwing the thing into the bin and buying a regulated mod might be a good idea, but it may be possible to get around it. Looking at the photos on Fasttech, the bottom plate clearly indicates to me the batteries are connected across the bottom plate. Assuming this is intended to be a parallel mod-- Fasttech doesn't say-- then batteries must go in the same way, that is with both positive or both negative poles visible at the bottom. Usually, they should go in positive pole first, that is, so both the negative poles are visible before the bottom cover goes on. It doesn't have to be that way, and it doesn't have to be a parallel mod either. But that would be normal. If you decide not to throw it out and buy something safer-- I repeat this might be a good idea-- make your five posts, get upgraded, and then disassemble the thing, including taking the top plate off, and post us some photos. Perhaps then I can see how it is intended to run the current path. Be very careful. If you mess that up, you can have a real problem. Also, what kind of batteries are you using?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
It looks like a fully mechanical mod to me. If there is no circuitry like a mosfet, it shouldn't matter which way the battery is inserted.

Added; Usually the end with the spring is negative but again it shouldn't matter.
That one looks to have tensioner screws to obviate battery rattle, not springs. Or as best I can tell from the Fasttech photos.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hey all, I bought a vampire mechanical box mod from Fasttech, got it last week and have had no end of issues with the battery configeration, there are no markings for + or - on it anywhere and the first stab at putting batteries in it got warm so I swapped them over and then it worked fine...until i came to swap the batteries again, I had marked a + and - on the bottom so I knew which way to put them in, the thing is it had changed over?? it got really hot straight away so i switched them over...worked fine again, THEN i cam to change them again and no matter which was I put the batteries in it shorted and got hot instantly......any ideas??
tempted to throw the thing in the bin for all the help Fasttech were :-S

You have been lucky so far.

2000100-7.jpg

the big problem with parallel mechanical box mods is if the user like yourself puts the batteries in the wrong way, you get an instant short.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Its a dual parallel configuration, so the batteries need to both go in the same way. Preferably, the battery positive should go towards the atomizer, since the negative contacts are larger and could short if the battery wrapper is damaged at all.

ETA: any batteries that were hard-shorted are probably destroyed and should be replaced.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
I must have been looking at the wrong mod. I Googled "vampire mechanical box mod" the one I saw had a single battery. So, in that case, as long as both batteries are in the same way, it should work.
Yah, I'll bite on that. If it's parallel, it ought to work with the batteries in either way, so long as they're both in the same way. But it might not be parallel. Or there could be a MOSFET.

Pugs1970

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Manchester UK
Yah, I'll bite on that. If it's parallel, it ought to work with the batteries in either way, so long as they're both in the same way. But it might not be parallel. Or there could be a MOSFET.

hey guys thans so much for your replies, the only reason I got this thing is because of my ever growing obsession with all things vape lol, I already have a Pioneer4u IPV4, an Ileaf 50w and a vamo v8 40w, I just fancied something a bit more old school but it's destroyed more batteries than the thing is worth, I think you might be right about the batteries going in the same way although it did work really well with them in alternate ways? is that possible? didnt get warm or anything, it is the one in the picture up there with the copper bottom plate, also the thing is nice, I like the wood haha :-S ....easily pleased, i have a wooden hellboy on the way and that takes 1 battery so shouldnt have any issues lol, I use a few different types of battery but all good quality high drain ones, samsung, AWT and torchy at the moment, it wrecked a pair of AWT imr 18650 40a :-S ....that alone cost more than the mod lol.

but hey thanks for all the info guys! very much appreciated.

Pugs

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
hey guys thans so much for your replies, the only reason I got this thing is because of my ever growing obsession with all things vape lol, I already have a Pioneer4u IPV4, an Ileaf 50w and a vamo v8 40w, I just fancied something a bit more old school but it's destroyed more batteries than the thing is worth, I think you might be right about the batteries going in the same way although it did work really well with them in alternate ways? is that possible? didnt get warm or anything, it is the one in the picture up there with the copper bottom plate, also the thing is nice, I like the wood haha :-S ....easily pleased, i have a wooden hellboy on the way and that takes 1 battery so shouldnt have any issues lol, I use a few different types of battery but all good quality high drain ones, samsung, AWT and torchy at the moment, it wrecked a pair of AWT imr 18650 40a :-S ....that alone cost more than the mod lol.

Pugs

Yes it is possible.
With 2 batteries in parallel on a mechanical box mod, it is possible for one of the batteries to not be making contact at the top, and you can be running only on the other battery.
At the bottom of the vampire box, there appear to be 2 adjustment screws, one for each battery.
After you put the battery in you adjust those screws to ensure each battery is making proper contact and not loose inside the box.
If one battery is loose then that battery will not fire.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014

Pugs
It is possible it is intended to work with the batteries in opposite ways. It could be a series mod. I dunno.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
It is possible it is intended to work with the batteries in opposite ways. It could be a series mod. I dunno.
Not possible, if the bottom is a plate like the OP mentioned. Putting the batteries in using alternate directions will be a hard short, as long as both batteries are fully screwed in. They are directly connected via the copper plate. (there is plate at the top too)

ETA: a mech is never in series unless it is advertised that way. It is too many volts for most vapers.

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Not possible, if the bottom is a plate like the OP mentioned. Putting the batteries in using alternate directions will be a hard short, as long as both batteries are fully screwed in. They are directly connected via the copper plate. (there is plate at the top too)

ETA: a mech is never in series unless it is advertised that way. It is too many volts for most vapers.

yeah, mechs are not usually in series, so I was surprised to see this
special forces mechanical box mod
$18.77 SPECIAL FORCES Mechanical Box Mod - 2*18650 / aluminum alloy / matte black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2118800-5.jpg

I wonder if it is marked wrong

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
yeah, mechs are not usually in series, so I was surprised to see this
special forces mechanical box mod
$18.77 SPECIAL FORCES Mechanical Box Mod - 2*18650 / aluminum alloy / matte black at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
2118800-5.jpg

I wonder if it is marked wrong
Hmmm... I guess it is doable then.
If its marked correctly, the whole aluminum mod is positive when the fire button is pressed (when not pressed, it is insulated by the delrin). And the negative is directly connected to the atomizer 510 pin. This is an unusual configuration.... but it works here because there is no top plate. The top is all a delrin insert.

However, I would bet the OPs mod works similar to a Dimitri or Abaddon box where the top mounted fire button connects the positive of both batteries to the atomizer 510 pin.

But, to the OP: it is a mech, a very simple device. Take the top off. Look at how it works. Insert batteries accordingly. Enjoy your mod.

Pugs1970

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Manchester UK
Hmmm... I guess it is doable then.
If its marked correctly, the whole aluminum mod is positive when the fire button is pressed (when not pressed, it is insulated by the delrin). And the negative is directly connected to the atomizer 510 pin. This is an unusual configuration.... but it works here because there is no top plate. The top is all a delrin insert.

However, I would bet the OPs mod works similar to a Dimitri or Abaddon box where the top mounted fire button connects the positive of both batteries to the atomizer 510 pin.

But, to the OP: it is a mech, a very simple device. Take the top off. Look at how it works. Insert batteries accordingly. Enjoy your mod.
hey guys, you were bang on, I just took out what I could take out and yes it turns out they are parellel, and I must of been very lucky, its working great now thanks for all your input, not a mistake I will make again!
cheers
Pugs

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
hey guys, you were bang on, I just took out what I could take out and yes it turns out they are parellel, and I must of been very lucky, its working great now thanks for all your input, not a mistake I will make again!
cheers
Pugs
It's a good learning experience. And a good thing your safe chemistry batteries did what they were supposed to do (ie: not explode). Mechs are great. They can last forever if taken care of. They are all just a simple circuit and have no wires or solder points. The power you get is result of the coil build you design. They work well and are safe if you understand how and why the simple circuit works. Ohms law is useful to calculate power and to be sure that your batteries can handle the load. Low resistance builds work great on a dual parallel mech. Enjoy your vape!

Pugs1970

Unresolved Status
Aug 22, 2015
Manchester UK
It's a good learning experience. And a good thing your safe chemistry batteries did what they were supposed to do (ie: not explode). Mechs are great. They can last forever if taken care of. They are all just a simple circuit and have no wires or solder points. The power you get is result of the coil build you design. They work well and are safe if you understand how and why the simple circuit works. Ohms law is useful to calculate power and to be sure that your batteries can handle the load. Low resistance builds work great on a dual parallel mech. Enjoy your vape!
Thanks man :) running it on duel kenthal, thick gauge (can't remember the width exactly) coming it @0.22 and its making lovely thick plumes >:) , but yeah I'll know in future what to look out for, thanks again!

Reactions: DaveSignal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread