Mechs vs Provai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavyrocker

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2012
Toronto,Canada
Its funny,when i first started out with the Ego style i thought this was the best on the the planet,i move up too the Vamo and this blew it away,then i went up too the Smok Telescope and loved it,then moved on too the Smok Natural and loved that even better,then got the all brass Sentinal and this one rocked me out,now i just got the Private V2 and this beautiful beast blows them all out of the water,does this madness ever stop?:vapor::toast:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Mechs can push higher wattage, but for the smoothest adjustable vape, a regulated mod is better in my book. It's a mech alternate with vapor control for just about any atomizer that pulls less than 4 amps depending on the model. I'm liking the ability to set my wattage and forget about adjusting for resistance changes.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
All i know is my Vamo is being used as a ''cheap'' ohm/batt checker and my Private V2 with the RSST tank using SS cable rope gets all the attention.

I'm pretty much an out of the box atomizer head user. I re-coil here and there to offset the cost of heads, but I generally try to keep my coils in the 2-2.5 ohm range when I wrap one up.

With a mod vape quality is dependent on the frequency of the synthesized voltage. When you put the drip tip to your ear and press the fire button you should hear a smooth hiss. If it sounds like a rattlesnake, the frequency is too low for a good reliable vape.

Last edited:

MikeJA

ECF Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
California
No idea about the trend in general, but I have three provaris that live in a drawer after switching to mechs/rebuildables. Not meant to be a knock against the provari, they're great. It's just been my progression in vaping.

As of today, mechs and rebuildables are the most satisfying for me. But in 6 months or a year it may be completely different. If a setup I like more comes along, I'll switch to that.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll go against the grain and say I prefer using a Provari with a well-setup cartotank over anything else. This is the most reliable and consistant vape I've had in over a year in vaping.

I've gone with an RBA on a mechanical. I won't do sub-ohm so I can't compare what that might be like, but having had one battery go into thermal runaway I'm not about to push my luck doing sub-ohms. I found that I prefer using my RBA's on my Provari's with a 2.0 coil. I'm not a tinker kind of person, and unfortunately RBA's are too fiddly to my liking to be my go-to delivery device.

onjre

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2013
Knoxville, TN, USA
You're not comparing apples to apples here. Mechs against the provari? Perhaps mechs against vv or vw mods.

Mechs undoubtedly are more popular than a single brand vv mod, yes. But, I dunno if mechs are more popular than vv/vw mods in general.

It seems mechs are for the people who fiddle, who know what they're doing (usually RBAs). Vv/vw are for those who are buying stock stuff and want to get some real vape from these high resistance coils. Most people buy premade coils in their devices so a vv/vw device will be necessary to give a decent vape. The ego is dead.

K-rad

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2012
Toronto, Canada
I agree with the hotrod and Benz analogy. I thought that was a good way to compare them both, being an owner of both I found my self going to the provari if I just want to chill and vape or a grab and go as a super reliable mod, but I also like to hop in the hot rod (mech) and get some wind in my hair.( sub omh vaping analogy)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 4

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
IMHO Mechs are for tinkerers and people that wants incredibly massive amounts of vapor. They are less interested in flavor and usability than Provari or other VV VW users. The VV users are more interested in flavor and keeping off analogs than the Mech crowd. Also you can get Mech dirt cheap. There isn't much to them. A tube, some connections and a switch.

There are many here that use both. A VV during the day, a Mech at home or hanging with other vapers.

Ironically Mechs are in reality unregulated variable voltage devices. No 2 vapes are the same voltage. It changes constantly. Unless you put in a fully charged battery, Vape it 10 times, then put in a newly charged battery. There is no sweet spot, or if you find one on a mech, it is fleeting.

Regulated Variable Voltage devices are exactly the opposite. They provide the same voltage over the life of the charge in a battery. And none do that better than the Provari.

I don't see myself ever using a mech. I am not interested in blowing massive clouds. I want to find the sweet spot voltage on whatever delivery system I am using and stay right there. For me it's all about the flavor and not smoking.

To each their own.

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
IMHO Mechs are for tinkerers and people that wants incredibly massive amounts of vapor. They are less interested in flavor and usability than Provari or other VV VW users. The VV users are more interested in flavor and keeping off analogs than the Mech crowd. Also you can get Mech dirt cheap. There isn't much to them. A tube, some connections and a switch.

There are many here that use both. A VV during the day, a Mech at home or hanging with other vapers.

Ironically Mechs are in reality unregulated variable voltage devices. No 2 vapes are the same voltage. It changes constantly. Unless you put in a fully charged battery, Vape it 10 times, then put in a newly charged battery. There is no sweet spot, or if you find one on a mech, it is fleeting.

Regulated Variable Voltage devices are exactly the opposite. They provide the same voltage over the life of the charge in a battery. And none do that better than the Provari.

I don't see myself ever using a mech. I am not interested in blowing massive clouds. I want to find the sweet spot voltage on whatever delivery system I am using and stay right there. For me it's all about the flavor and not smoking.

:thumb: I agree with all of this.

Mechanicals are more for those who are vape hobbyists that like to tinker with their mods or cloud chasers. Those more interested in a consistant care-free vape and just staying off of cigarettes use a regulated mod. Regulated mods also have built-in protected circuitry; mechanical mods have no protective circuitry and are not at all simple care-free devices to use (if you are doing it right).

Everyone needs to read this article:

Deeper understanding of mod batteries

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
They are less interested in flavor and usability than Provari or other VV VW users.

Mechanicals are more for those who are vape hobbyists that like to tinker with their mods or cloud chasers. Those more interested in a consistant care-free vape and just staying off of cigarettes use a regulated mod.

Speak for yourselves please, if your not experiencing these devices for yourself then you cannot form a conclusion like this. I have a hybrid mech that i feel produces the best flavor out of every device i have ever used and I easily get two days of great vaping on it.

I will not argue it takes more attention to detail and fiddling, and I do feel this is why so many are unsatisfied with the mechanicals but in no way are they "just" for people who care less about flavor or performance. unlike the VW hype if you truly want set and forget performance it is found in a well set up mech, drop in a battery and go until dead, and for me that is the same 3.4-3.5 volts thats going to come out of a vv mod.

kinda easy to forget the whole cloud chasing scene is just a few months old compared to how long mechs have been around and like all the posts for provari when people say know i understand and we say see? we told you. the same holds true for mech vaping, unless you own it, take the time to learn what to do and do it correctly you just wont get it.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Quite a bit of strawmaning going on here.

I don't care to tinker with my mods. I care about staying off the analogs. I care about flavor. I don't care about cloud chasing. I want a maintenance-free vape. All that, and I use mech mods exclusively.

What I also care about is size. I can carry a 18650 mech mod shorter than the Provari Mini with its 18350 battery. Both will give a great, flavorful vape, I'm sure. When it's time to change the battery in the Mini, an 18650 in a mech will still keep giving a great, flavorful vape. Heck, my daily driver setup with 18490 battery and a gennie is just a few millimeters taller than a Provari with a 18650 battery. Not including drip tip.

I dare say most vapers whose only interest is staying off the ciggies use unregulated cig-a-likes or ego batteries. Some upgrade to twists/spinners, but I dare also say those are a minority. I'm thinking of those thousands of vapers whose interest don't extend to hanging out on ECF.

@Baditude, no offense intended: almost 12k posts on ECF qualify you as a vaping hobbyist in my book no matter what kind of setup you use ;)

Last edited:

BernieVideo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
NoHo El Lay CA
Speak for yourselves please, if your not experiencing these devices for yourself then you cannot form a conclusion like this. I have a hybrid mech that i feel produces the best flavor out of every device i have ever used and I easily get two days of great vaping on it.

Respectfully, can you explain the math on this?

2 days on an unregulated device? And it tastes the same for those 2 days? First Vape till the last?

Maybe there is something to the term hybrid mod that I am ignorant about.

Please, educate me.

Tapatalking on iPhone.
Join the CASAA.
Protect your Vaping Rights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread