Messed up my brand new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faint111

Sep 6, 2015
Hi, I'm new here. Not totally new to vaping but I got a subox mini kit three days ago. My friend primed and filled it up and it was fantastic. I got near the end of the tank and put some more in and it's been nothing but problems and I'm upset as I'm on a very limited income and just spent over a hundred dollars. I put more juice in and it tasted different and was harsh throat hits when it was smooth as could be the first tank. I put some juice in the coil thinking it was dry or something and it poured out the mouthpiece. I then took the bottom off and dried it off a bit and tried again but it was spitting and tasted wrong still and if you blew in one side of the air flow juice came out the other. We changed coils and it still isn't good and now it's leaking from somewhere and I don't understand what's wrong. I'm pretty bummed because I have a full tank of juice in there and don't know how to fix it. It was so great day one and it's just been downhill. :(

Hoping someone can help me out here as I'm not a big fan of dripping and just want to use my new vape again.
Thanks

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
The subtank mini is easy enough to dismantle and you can leave the liquid in it.

Personally, I'd take it apart and have a good look around. You can visually inspect the coil, clean up the base (leaks) and see how well the atomizer head is fitting. You can see if there are any obvious issues. It could be the coil is black and the cotton wool gunked up.

Without seeing, it's hard to say. Most problems are gone when you change the coil for a new one, but not if it's missing something (like a sealing ring (O-ring)).

Reactions: BlackVaper

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
If you're getting juice out the air flow it's usually one of two issues. The first thing to check is that the coil head is seated firmly in the bottom part of the tank. Another thing to check is that there is still an o ring on the end of the coil next to the coil base.

When a coil gets gunked up I sometimes get leakage.

Double check your power setting to make certain you are not over powering the coil. The Subtank comes with 2 different ohm coils, a .5 and a 1.5 ohm. If you didn't change the power and put the second 1.5 ohm coil in it would taste harsh, and possibly burn up the coil. I'd start vape around 15 watts with the 1.5 ohm coil, hit it and then bump it up if you like. If it gets too hot or starts to taste burnt then back the power down.

If the coil is toast you can always use the RBA, just cut some cotton and put it in the coil. It's a .5 ohm coil, start around 18 watts with it. If you need to know how, check out you tube.

Good luck.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
these days (unfortunately) manufacturers are sending out coils with cotton, and once a new vaper makes the inevitable mistake of firing on a dry cotton coil, he burns the cotton and that coil head is dead; the inexperienced vaper, not understanding what happened keeps trying to use the coil

Faint111

Sep 6, 2015
The subtank mini is easy enough to dismantle and you can leave the liquid in it.

Personally, I'd take it apart and have a good look around. You can visually inspect the coil, clean up the base (leaks) and see how well the atomizer head is fitting. You can see if there are any obvious issues. It could be the coil is black and the cotton wool gunked up.

Without seeing, it's hard to say. Most problems are gone when you change the coil for a new one, but not if it's missing something (like a sealing ring (O-ring)).
I'm literally new to doing any of it by myself because I just get friends to do it but they're stumped too. The red rings are still on. I think it might have still been coming from the air flow.
http://i61.tinypic.com/2gu00mr.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/2w5mzq9.jpg

Faint111

Sep 6, 2015
when you put in a fresh coil you need to either prime the coil first with a few drops of liquid, or let it sit in the tank for a few minutes for the wick to absorb liquid
We did prime it. If you take it out and dry the outside of the occ do you have to prime it again?
Edit: as in if I take out a coil but the holes on the side are still visually wet. But I dry it off so I can handle it. To be honest the coil I took out yesterday looks cleaner than the one my friend gave me I'm going to try to put that back in. The sides holes are still wet do I have to put any liquid in the centre or can I just let it sit in the tank for a bit

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
We did prime it. If you take it out and dry the outside of the occ do you have to prime it again?
Edit: as in if I take out a coil but the holes on the side are still visually wet. But I dry it off so I can handle it. To be honest the coil I took out yesterday looks cleaner than the one my friend gave me I'm going to try to put that back in. The sides holes are still wet do I have to put any liquid in the centre or can I just let it sit in the tank for a bit

just let it sit in the tank.

like I said before, if you burnt the cotton, you can't fix it

if that's the subtank, you should also be able to use the RBA head.
You can open up the RBA head and add cotton to wick it.
you should be able to find youtube videos showing users setting up their rba heads

Reactions: David Wolf

Kandem

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2015
Nova Scotia Canada
Kanger stock coils are garbage. The cotton is packed in around the vertical coils way too tight. My first coil was the 0.5 and lasted a week. My second coil I tried is the kanger occ ni200 coils for TC. Got a day from that one. Then I tried the 1.2 coil and it lasted a day. Severe dry hits due to the packing of the wicks. Also I hate the taste of the Japanese cotton it comes with. Once it's a tad bit burnt it's messed up.

I switched to the rba my stm came with and used the kanthal coils it came with and some normal organic cotton. They worked fine. Just had to re wick every morning as part of my daily maintenance on it. Now I'm using my own built ni200 coils. 14 wraps of 28 ga nickel with an inner diameter of 2.5 mm. The coils are compressed to touch as there is no room in the rba base for spacing that many wraps. My coils come out to 0.12/0.13 ohms consistently. It's also cheaper than buying their pre-made coils that don't last.

Hope this info helps.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
It's looks pretty well pure white to me but my juice is also clear.

Well that's good; burnt cotton would be black.

if the coil is flooded it might leak for a while and vapour production would be muted at first; you might also hear gurgling. if the coil is flooded and you turn the tank upside down for a few minutes the extra liquid should come out the drip tip.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Faint111

Sep 6, 2015
Well I don't think it is flooded now hopefully since I put the one that sat in my bag all night back in it because it looked cleaner. My battery is still charging so I haven't tried it. It looks wet from the side holes on the cube. The .5 one at 30-35w never over that because my friend said I would go through the coils too fast. I literally have no luck with vapes this is my second one that's gone wrong not long after buying.

In the rebuildable how often do you have to make the wires and change the cotton? How much is it? The occ 5 packs here's are 23 or 25$ I think, I ran out of money before I could buy more.

Kandem

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2015
Nova Scotia Canada
Ya the occ coils are 22 for a pack of 5 where I am too. For 30 ft of kanthal it's like 8 bucks, and a package of organic cotton cost me 2 bucks from Walmart. I use the organic cotton makeup removal pads.....same exact stuff for less. I re wick every morning just in case. But I only recoil every week. At the rate of the occ coils going bad, I guarantee I'm saving money and getting the hit I want.

Try bringing your wattage down to 25..... Also try puffing without firing to help it wick. Just suck on the delrin tip for a minute on the smallest air holes, then fire with the air adjusted to where you want it.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Faint111

Sep 6, 2015
I thought that you couldn't use store cotton balls because of the peroxide or whatever in it? I watched a YouTube video it doesn't look thaaat hard. I'll try that before vaping it, I find it really hard to change the airflow on it because it's all one depth so I usually just always leave it wide open. I read somewhere that you are supposed to close it before filling with juice, Is that true?

That's why I came here to be honest, I have two friends with the same vape and they did everything they thought of to fix it but it didn't help much. And the vape store is over an hour bus ride each way for the one I bought it from so if I can avoid that it would be great haha.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Yeah, if it's flooded, turn it upside down and swing it a couple times to work that fluid out. MAKE SURE YOU HOLD ONTO YOUR MOD TIGHT, SO YOU DON'T END UP THROWING IT ACROSS THE ROOM.

Yea... About that... You've seen the pictures of the Wii controller stuck in the TV screen? my wife was pretty ticked when she walked into the living room and saw my SubTank and mod stuck in the screen. Im not allowed to do vape maintenance in the living room anymore... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread