metallic taste someone please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMc

May 20, 2015
Hi to anyone who can help. What it is is i keep getting a metallic taste in my ecig. I am using a Mudder PionTank 4.0 BDC rebuildable 2.5ml clearomizer (Oniyo) and a Mudder 2200 mAh setup. At first ther was a slight metallic taste, 2 days later all i can taste is metal. It is definately not burning, i know what that tastes like and i know how to sprt that, but this is different, it is definately metallic. I dont want to spend even more money on loads of parts just to get it right, does amyone have a solution? I usually use plastic clearomizers but this is my first stainless steel one but sure that wouldnt effect that taste atall would it? I could really do with some advice. Much appreciated, thanks!

DannyMc

May 20, 2015
Did you boil it out when you received it? Always a good idea to strip anything left from the machining process

Cheers guys for the help. I have only had it for a couple of days so i havent broken it in properly. The metallic taste is disgusting but ill hold out for a few more days and see if it 'seasons'. If not then i will be giving it a good soak in boiled water and then a soak in alcahol (or visa versa which do yous think?) an see how they all help. Cheers guys, ill be back to let you know how it goes, thanks.

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
Cheers guys for the help. I have only had it for a couple of days so i havent broken it in properly. The metallic taste is disgusting but ill hold out for a few more days and see if it 'seasons'. If not then i will be giving it a good soak in boiled water and then a soak in alcahol (or visa versa which do yous think?) an see how they all help. Cheers guys, ill be back to let you know how it goes, thanks.
I would have to say the boiled water... it's second nature for me now to boil a new atomizer. Sometimes for two hours straight. I usually dis-assemble the whole atomizer as far as I can go... tank, chimney, drip tip, lead wires if it's an RBA... just take pictures as you disassemble it so you know how to put it back. I then take out any o-rings and wash those by hand in mild soap and warm water. I then dump the whole lot of metal pieces in one pot and boil it. Sometimes I have a machining oil taste, those I am more aggressive with and will wash, boil, soak in rubbing alcohol, boil again, then let dry for a day.

I know, it sounds like a lot...but... I don't buy atomizers every day. I've been reading about great success stories with ultrasonic cleaners...believe it or not, that's on my radar for vape gear.

ghost_92

May 12, 2015
if its a rebuildable i would check that the only part of the coil touching anything are the leads into the posts. also that the kanthal is annealed? most A-1 kanthal is pre-annealed. annealing is a heat treat process that if not done could be giving you that metallic taste? A-1 kanthal comes pre-annealed but can be done at home by simply making passes with a torch.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Regardless of how clean any new atomizer looks, it always gets a bath before I vape it.

I know, it sounds like a lot...but... I don't buy atomizers every day. I've been reading about great success stories with ultrasonic cleaners...believe it or not, that's on my radar for vape gear.
I'm not going to say it's a must have, but I DIY and rebuild (a lot), and I've found mine to be a very useful tool.

Reactions: EBates

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
When I was using stock coils way back before I rebuilt my own coils I got metallic taste in my old clearos. The cause from what I learned is that there is a hotspot somewhere on the coil and your vaping the metal, like the coil wraps are touching each other or they aren't manufactured correctly and a jumbled mess. Open up the head if you can and adjust the coils until they even and nicely spaced, readjust the wicking. I'm not familiar with your atty but from looking on google image it looks like it can be done. DIY readjusting a clean brand new coil is much easier than trying to fix or adjust a vaped on crusty infested coil, and you have better vape quality right out of the start gate.

DannyMc

May 20, 2015
Cheers for all the tips guys i love vapin i think its awsome an learnin everything to get it just right is proper important. Just keeping yous updated on the boiling process i boiled it for about 40 mins an has nearly gone i didnt leave it for i day i couldnt resist lol but when my tank runs out again i will be boiling it again to get rid of the rest of taste away. I dont think i will be doing things like building my own coils and stuff but its good to know that theres an answer for any problem i have. Cheers for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread