Modded Reo Grand Beryllium Copper, Voltage drop majorly solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Ok because I opened my big mouth on another thread and mentioned I had modded my Reo here are the pics and facts.
Beryllium copper strips were salvaged from an Eveready torch from the local tip, and were used to make leaf spring firing pin and battery contact ( please note battery is inverted with positive pointing down to give a better strike surface for the firing pin, be aware the batteries like the Grey Panasonic will need insulation tape around the edge of the negative end to guard against shorts in the event that your Reo has damaged or missing powder coating/anodising in the area it sits against.Aws and MNKEs do not have this issue as the wrap is more far reaching)
The Dual coil is made up of two 0.8Ohm 30g Kanthal A1 micro coils 1.5mm ID with cotton balls
They are running in a Cyclone with the AFC topcap set up with a fatter O-ring in the catch cup and with the pos pin hammered through the base of the atty to contact the 510 pos connector.
The beefier home fabricated pos pin in the 510 connector was made from an old clearo center shaft, cut,ground and shaped in a pillar drill.
0.4Ohm resistance running on a nearly fresh (4.13v)MNKE18650 from Vapeking (I'm hoping it's a genuine one, I have been assured by Brian) giving 3.78-3.8v under load.
Glowing coil in photos is due to static fire with no airflow, and a very slow compact camera.
Pictures should tell the rest of the story, but I will mention that on a fresh charge with a 1Ohm coil I get 4.02v at the atty terminals.
The Parts:
11220256615_b03598f07a_h.jpg

The Results:
11220366604_c5438d2567_k.jpg

Last edited:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Nice work, Studiovap! I know you saw the fuse-mod thread. This is almost identical to the mod I did which led up to the fuse mod. I was lovingly cautioned by fellow REOnauts re: the lack of protection for the battery or the vaper in the case of a hard short with this setup, so I (with SeaNap & ChrisEU) came up with the fuse mod. GMTA, hey? :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/466805-pdib-mod-p.html?highlight=a+pdib+mod

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-pseudo-hybrid-phase-i.html?highlight=psybrid

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/467679-dz-mod-ok-pdib-too-3.html#post10694618

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
Nice work, Studiovap! I know you saw the fuse-mod thread. This is almost identical to the mod I did which led up to the fuse mod. I was lovingly cautioned by fellow REOnauts re: the lack of protection for the battery or the vaper in the case of a hard short with this setup, so I (with SeaNap & ChrisEU) came up with the fuse mod. GMTA, hey? :)

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/466805-pdib-mod-p.html?highlight=a+pdib+mod

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-pseudo-hybrid-phase-i.html?highlight=psybrid

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/467679-dz-mod-ok-pdib-too-3.html#post10694618

Hi mate, I only posted this because I was asked to by a fellow vaper and take no credit for anything appart from finding some b copper and taking it a step further than brass.
And yes fuses are good and I am bad, but I do take care and use high current IMRs etc etc.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Hi mate, I only posted this because I was asked to by a fellow vaper and take no credit for anything appart from finding some b copper and taking it a step further than brass.
And yes fuses are good and I am bad, but I do take care and use high current IMRs etc etc.

Oh, it's not about credit. You do beautiful work, and this is a cool modification too. I was just in the awkward situation where, I didn't wanna pretend I hadn't done that, so that left me with saying I did. :blush:. I love that the BeCu can be found in flashlights. I had assumed that it wouldn't, since off-the-shelf flashlights don't aim for such specs in efficiency . . .. . but I guess they used it for durability and weather proofing and oxidation purposes. I have every intention of ripping apart every flashlight I walk past from this day forward. :toast:

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
BTW: on the technical level. I had opportunity to incorporate some BeCu in a REO firing pin. I found that it gave me the same results on V-drop as the brass did. Also, I'd mention that your measurements yield the same result as my brass mods did. It makes me wonder why Rob's results were so much better. . . . . . . . . . was Rob cheating?:blink:
Or is he just, somehow better? :?:

I still look forward to the upgrade, as I'm given to understand that it is more resistant to tarnish or oxidization.l

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Delrin is standard to my knowledge, it was used purchase, but I don't believe the previous owner made any modifications.

Your right! It does look just like mine. I was vaping my woodvil when I originally posted and going off of memory. But I just looked at my grand and it's identical :)

studiovap

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Queensland Australia
BTW: on the technical level. I had opportunity to incorporate some BeCu in a REO firing pin. I found that it gave me the same results on V-drop as the brass did. Also, I'd mention that your measurements yield the same result as my brass mods did. It makes me wonder why Rob's results were so much better. . . . . . . . . . was Rob cheating?:blink:
Or is he just, somehow better? :?:

I still look forward to the upgrade, as I'm given to understand that it is more resistant to tarnish or oxidization.l

It looks like Rob's multimeter didn't cost $19.95 like mine did, and my Reo has badly worn 510 threads, and the atty I used is all SS not brass,my copper firing pin is not clamped onto the pos post like the original setup and is just an interference'ish" fit, these are some of the reasons for the difference between mine and Rob's results, I don't have the AW1600s to test only my "genuine" MNKE18650s and the Grey Panasonic, this 10 amp test High-Drain 18650 Shootout shows the AW1600 to be much stronger than ALL the others at this load, and I expect Rob is cheating also :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread