My ejuice is not thick enough (DIY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aburk3

May 10, 2015
I know this belongs in the dIY section, but seeing as this is only my 3rd post, I have to post on the NM forum. So I made my first batch of ejuice (other than just adding VG to storebought mixtures), and I made it 60/40 VG/PG with 5% Lorann's Apple flavoring. After trying it out in my Aspire Atlantis v2 (with a Aspire CF Sub Battery) I noticed large amounts of spitting (popping of juice on my tongue). I took a couple of more hits using a paper towel as a filter and noticed juice on it as well. My understanding is that this should only happen if juice is too thin. I'm using USP grade VG and PG. And with the ratios I'm using, the liquid shouldn't have this spitting problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I changed the ratio since to 80/20 VG/PG and it DID reduce spitting, but 60/40 really shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't think. Especially since I've tried 50/50 ratios that are store bought with way less of a problem.

head vapologist

Apr 17, 2015
If you are looking for massive amounts of smoke then you are on the right track with the high vg levels! What I have found is that high vg juice works better with drippers and rebuildable atomizers. Also might want to try steeping your ejuice since you are making it yourself to make sure that everything combines a bit better. Keep in mind that pg carries flavors better, so if you increase your vg levels, you my want to increase your flavor ratio slightly....

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
in the future i would veer away from Lorann's flavorings. They use a lot of coloring and oils that are really not good to inhale.

My first diy outing I got Lorann's red delicious licorice and had a very similar experience. Come to find out the oils and coloring used in the flavor doesn't really like to turn into vapor. It actually acts more like trying to vape a bunch of water.

The Flavorer's Apprentice
Flavor Art
Cappella

There are plenty of other good flavoring brands out there.. Lorann's to me seems to be more geared toward food flavoring purposes.

aburk3

May 10, 2015
Did it SEEM the same viscosity as other liquid you use?
Anything else different - new coil?
Where'd the VG come from?
Was it warm for some reason?

Just thinking through what could make a liquid thinner or spittey...haven't had that problem...

No the 60/40 VG/PG I made seems to be even thinner than the 50/50 VG/PG... which makes absolutely no sense. I'm using the same coil as well. I bought my VG on amazon. It's USP, Kosher, Food Grade, Non-GMO Vegetable Glycerin. And it wasn't above room temperature..

aburk3

May 10, 2015
in the future i would veer away from Lorann's flavorings. They use a lot of coloring and oils that are really not good to inhale.

My first diy outing I got Lorann's red delicious licorice and had a very similar experience. Come to find out the oils and coloring used in the flavor doesn't really like to turn into vapor. It actually acts more like trying to vape a bunch of water.

The Flavorer's Apprentice
Flavor Art
Cappella

There are plenty of other good flavoring brands out there.. Lorann's to me seems to be more geared toward food flavoring purposes.

Yes I've heard a lot about that. I use this Lorann's spreadsheet to help me out picking safe flavors: Best Lorann Oils Vaping Spreadsheet - 2013 | Best Vapor Flavors

Maybe the flavors just contain a lot of Water or PG which would require more VG....

aburk3

May 10, 2015
If you are looking for massive amounts of smoke then you are on the right track with the high vg levels! What I have found is that high vg juice works better with drippers and rebuildable atomizers. Also might want to try steeping your ejuice since you are making it yourself to make sure that everything combines a bit better. Keep in mind that pg carries flavors better, so if you increase your vg levels, you my want to increase your flavor ratio slightly....

Interesting suggestion... I did try a quick steeping method (letting it sit in water, shaking it up, repeat). But maybe I should adjust how hot or how long I let it sit.. And yeah I'm definitely in search of big clouds, so I may have to add more flavoring.

tehdarkaura

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2014
CO
I noticed the VG I get from certain sources are thinner than the VG from other sources before.
Since the thickest stuff I've gotten came from Nude Nicotine and they went through effort to seal the bottles I made the assumption that the other had absorbed water from the air -- I have no idea if that is correct though -- so read it with a grain of salt (not in your eye though!)

k702

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
lost wages, sin city, NV
Yes I've heard a lot about that. I use this Lorann's spreadsheet to help me out picking safe flavors: Best Lorann Oils Vaping Spreadsheet - 2013 | Best Vapor Flavors

Maybe the flavors just contain a lot of Water or PG which would require more VG....

I'm not sure what it is TBH but I know Lorann's flavorings just haven't worked out for me all that great.

Reading your op again you've got flooding going on. If there was just juice on the wic you wouldn't have too much spitting especially once you start to draw from the mouthpiece and move air over the coil. This means you probably have extra juice in the coil head that isn't actually sucked up into the wic. That could be because of the juice being to thin and getting into the coil head too easily.. Or there could be something going on with the coil head itself. Have you replaced the coil head recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread