Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
I currently have the stainless steel Doge V2 with copper contacts. I am looking for a RDA that'll hit way harder than this one.
I understand these are competition drippers but is there something out there that'll compare or surpass this?

Your question leaves a lo left to interpretation.
Better throat hit?, flavor? More clouds? What exactly are trying to get more of?

Competition drippers were designed with using huge low sub ohm coils on superwatt mods in mind

For a mech these setups are weak in output

I run a magma using 30g ribbon dual coiled to about .6 ohms and come close to gagging lol

Last edited:
Something that will "hit harder"? If you're hitting something with it, you're doing it wrong. Perhaps you could explain what you're looking for?

I picked up the Derringer a few days ago. Compared to my Mutation Xv2, Doge, Freakshow, CLTv2, I would say the Derringer wins by a long shot. But it all depends on what you're looking for in an atty.

Nimbus007

Feb 17, 2015
San Francisco, CA
Something that will "hit harder"? If you're hitting something with it, you're doing it wrong. Perhaps you could explain what you're looking for?

I picked up the Derringer a few days ago. Compared to my Mutation Xv2, Doge, Freakshow, CLTv2, I would say the Derringer wins by a long shot. But it all depends on what you're looking for in an atty.

A very strong throaty, vappy hit.

Nimbus007

Feb 17, 2015
San Francisco, CA

Does the Derringer come in Copper or Brass contacts? & how big is the deck because i had a glance of my girlfriends and it sorta looked small but i am not sure. & does it fit large bore mouth pieces?

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Does the Derringer come in Copper or Brass contacts? & how big is the deck because i had a glance of my girlfriends and it sorta looked small but i am not sure. & does it fit large bore mouth pieces?

I have a few RDA's, and from looking at the derringer I dont think it would compete much with the doge RDA v2 when looking at builds/vapor production. the Dodgev2 has pretty big deck and huge centerpole holes which makes it easy to build twisted/dual/quad builds on it. The derringer negative posts look too small to accomodate. The Derringer RDA is a tiny RDA, not for crazy building, its a good RDA if you want something small and simple, but definitely not going to please you if you are looking for something 'more' out of an RDA.

You already have a Doge V2 RDA, so the 'harder hitting' aspect will come moreso from better coil builds and the mod you use, not a new RDA.

Last edited:
I have a few RDA's, and from looking at the derringer I dont think it would compete much with the doge RDA v2 when looking at builds/vapor production. the Dodgev2 has pretty big deck and huge centerpole holes which makes it easy to build twisted/dual/quad builds on it. The derringer negative posts look too small to accomodate. The Derringer RDA is a tiny RDA, not for crazy building, its a good RDA if you want something small and simple, but definitely not going to please you if you are looking for something 'more' out of an RDA.

You already have a Doge V2 RDA, so the 'harder hitting' aspect will come moreso from better coil builds and the mod you use, not a new RDA.

I'm running dual 4-wire twisted 30ga coils in my Derringer as we speak. I've also run twisted 28ga dual coils in it. Granted, the center post hole and build deck are slightly smaller when compared to the Doge, it's plenty big enough to run twisted, and multiple wire coils. I haven't run quads in it just yet, but I have no doubt they will fit. And as far as throat hit and vapor production, it is comparable in every aspect to the Doge. Except the Derringer has the Doge beat on flavor production, due to the smaller chamber. It also beats the Doge on it's ability to hold more juice. I get 10-12 drops in my Doge with most builds, and at least 15 drops in the Derringer on any build. The Derringer is a flavor atty, although if built right and with the AF opened up, it will blow clouds just as thick as the Doge. You really shouldn't compare the two unless you've used them both.

You don't own a Derringer.....do you even own a Doge, or are you comparing the two on appearance only? The Derringer competes (and beats) the Doge on many aspects.

Last edited:

NealBJr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Lawrenceville, Ga.
IMO, for vapor production: quantity, quality, throat hit... Pick two that you will excel at.

Throat hit, that has a lot to do with your juice content. up the nic content and go with a more pg juice.. Subohm a 18mg/ml solution that is 50/50... It'have you sounding like you're a death metal vocalist after one hit. :)

Want huge quantity of vapor? Well, increase the airflow. on your current build, allow for some air to come in from outside the drip tip. aim for half from the atty, half from outside the atty... you'll see the vapor production is more. The downside, is it mutes the flavor just a bit.... but you'll have your quantity. Also, a higher VG mix will create more "visuals", but it will smooth out the flavor and vapor.

taste.. well, opposite of quantity is quality... less air from outside the chamber, and all coming from inside the vape chamber will mean a better density of vapor, and thus better flavor. Also, a higher PG will carry more flavor in the vapor, albeit not as visual as the VG.

Atty issues aside, there's a lot more involved in vapor production. Hearing someone say they want more flavor/vapor/throat hit is like hearing someone say they want a cheap car that will go to 200mph at 25mpg and go from zero to 60 in 3.0 seconds.... There are cars that can do each of these, but none will do all at once. The best thing to do is find what compromises you can make.

graffiti

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 23, 2014
CT
I've got a TOBH clone that hits harder than anything else I have. It has the perfect ratio of air flow to chamber size, I think. It's nothing special, for sure.

I generally wrap it at between 0.2Ω and 0.25Ω. I run it on my sigelei at between 3.7 and 4.2 (anywhere between 55 and 70 watts). My authentic doge v2 (even with the copper post and screws) doesn't hit nearly as hard as the above setup. I think it's too airy, my coils never seem to get up to temperature, even closed down like 90%.

EDIT: The person above me was saying something about throat hit. My experience is that if you want more TH, you should move your air holes slightly further away from the coil. I don't know why, but that gives it much more TH.

alicewonderland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
I'm running dual 4-wire twisted 30ga coils in my Derringer as we speak. I've also run twisted 28ga dual coils in it. Granted, the center post hole and build deck are slightly smaller when compared to the Doge, it's plenty big enough to run twisted, and multiple wire coils. I haven't run quads in it just yet, but I have no doubt they will fit. And as far as throat hit and vapor production, it is comparable in every aspect to the Doge. Except the Derringer has the Doge beat on flavor production, due to the smaller chamber. It also beats the Doge on it's ability to hold more juice. I get 10-12 drops in my Doge with most builds, and at least 15 drops in the Derringer on any build. The Derringer is a flavor atty, although if built right and with the AF opened up, it will blow clouds just as thick as the Doge. You really shouldn't compare the two unless you've used them both.

You don't own a Derringer.....do you even own a Doge, or are you comparing the two on appearance only? The Derringer competes (and beats) the Doge on many aspects.

I've used them both, and the derringer definitely is not an atty if you're looking for more vapor. I also dont use thin gauged kanthal, I use 20-26g, which dont fit into the tiny chamber of a Derringer unless I am doing single stranded micro coils. Yes I do own a Doge V2, and the bigger chamber is what allows you to build bigger diameter coils, thicker gauged wire, and the bigger airflow compared to the derringer, is what helps you cool down the coils when you go for more complex builds, with the bigger chamber it helps having sufficient space around big coils to not suffocate it with cotton/juice. The derringer is just too small for me personally to accomodate any build other than 'simple' or high gauge wired builds. The Doge accomodates this, with its bigger chamber which means more space for coils, and more airflow. I'm not here to bash on your sweet 'Derringer' I was just simply stating that if he already has a Doge, he will not find what he is looking for by getting a Derringer. A Derringer is comparable and can be better in some ways, but for what the OP is asking, there is no real upgrade if he goes from his Doge V2 to a Derringer.

Last edited:
I've used them both, and the derringer definitely is not an atty if you're looking for more vapor. I also dont use thin gauged kanthal, I use 20-26g, which dont fit into the tiny chamber of a Derringer unless I am doing single stranded micro coils. Yes I do own a Doge V2, and the bigger chamber is what allows you to build bigger diameter coils, thicker gauged wire, and the bigger airflow compared to the derringer, is what helps you cool down the coils when you go for more complex builds, with the bigger chamber it helps having sufficient space around big coils to not suffocate it with cotton/juice. The derringer is just too small for me personally to accomodate any build other than 'simple' or high gauge wired builds. The Doge accomodates this, with its bigger chamber which means more space for coils, and more airflow. I'm not here to bash on your sweet 'Derringer' I was just simply stating that if he already has a Doge, he will not find what he is looking for by getting a Derringer. A Derringer is comparable and can be better in some ways, but for what the OP is asking, there is no real upgrade if he goes from his Doge V2 to a Derringer.

I disagree with several points in your reply, but I'll just leave it at that- agree to disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread