Need help! MVP 3.0 + Kanger Subtank mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allxxapologies

Jun 16, 2015
Hey guys! So I would say I'm somewhat new to vaping. I used the istick with the nautilus mini for about 8 months and decided to upgrade. After some research I decided to go with the MVP 3.0 with the KangerTech Subtank Mini which I just got in the mail yesterday. I have read that with the Subtank it's more for lung hits so that's why it was burning my lips but no matter what whether I put the wattage up to 20 or 10 I don't get a big vape at least not what I'm seeing in videos. I have tried changing the airflow and with all three it's just a slight change. I really don't know much about.. Well everything to do with vaping but how does the voltage compare with the wattage? Am I maybe putting the wattage too high and the voltage too low? Does that matter? Should I put it at a certain v/w that will work. I put my nautilus mini on my MVP and it cannot take a higher wattage, it taste really burnt but at a lower wattage I get a pretty good vape. I also feel like no matter what I have it set to it burns my lungs. Maybe I just need to get used to it? If I have a higher wattage like 20 what should the voltage be at? I'm sorry this is so many questions and kind of confusing I just figured it would be easier to ask in one site instead of looking through the Internet for each individual question (which I have been doing since yesterday) ANY help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
Also when I said I'm not getting a big vape, I'm not looking for some crazy clouds it just not a lot of "smoke" nothing compared to my nautilus and istick which I usually vape at 12w
UPDATE: Thanks for all the help. Everyone is saying you can't adjust the voltage or that it changes with wattage which it did on my istick but with the MVP no matter what I put the wattage to the voltage stays the same. If the voltage is at 4.5 and the wattage is at 10 I can go up to 30 watts and the voltage never changes. Is that normal, or maybe a setting I need to change?

Last edited:

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Welcome to ECF! A couple of things. First, you can set voltage or wattage, but not both. If you set wattage (which I think is the easiest way, and offers the most precision), your mod will regulate the voltage to meet the wattage you set. That will depend on the resistance (ohms) of your coil. You may want to have a look at Ohms Law to get an understanding of how it works :). You said you have a Subtank Mini. Which coil are you using? (It comes with two: a .5ohm and a 1.2ohm). You will get more vapor (clouds) with the .5ohm, but it takes more power - higher wattage - to do so. As well, you'll get denser vapor (thicker clouds) with a higher VG juice - something in the 30/70 (PG/VG) range. So if you want clouds, try the .5 OCC with a higher VG juice, set at about 18 watts. Adjust up or down, from there. I find that 18 watts gives me good flavor and decent vapor with a Subtank. Best of luck to you!

zed888

Verified Member
Mar 25, 2015
Vortex 4
You can't set wattage too high and voltage too low, because one changes with the other. It's a little easier to stick with adjusting the watts, and the device will raise or lower the voltage as needed. Which coil are you using? If you want more vapor, you should probably use the .5 ohm coil, not the 1.something (1.2?) coil. 20 watts might be on the low side for big clouds, but start there and work up til you're happy with it.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Don't know about the settings on an MVP 3.0 specifically. But, when I use my SubTank Mini on a Kbox, I set it at 25-30 W (depending on Juice viscosity), open the AFC full bore, and it fires, flavors, and Vapes/Clouds fine and to my satisfaction. Found that to be the "All-Facets Sweet-Spot" for me anyways.
My ADV Equip is UnReg Mech Mods and RDAs so prefer and like Big Flavor and Big Vapor. The Kbox with SubTank Mini set at those wattages doesn't perform as those do but definitely doesn't leave me torqued off and lacking either.
Can't imagine the MVP is much different in the Basics as pertains to Wattage and the Tanks the same. Try that and see if it does better to your liking.

Besides, you can set Wattage OR you can set Voltage.
You can't set both as they both can't be predetermined or User Input. One is determined by the other so you can only adjust one of those as a "variable" in the overall equation.

P.s. Use the .5 ohm OCC Kanger made Coil. Then set to 25 or 30.

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi Allxxapologies. When I got the Subtank Mini (from the Nautilus) the first thing I did was to change the wide mouthpiece (drip tip) to a smaller holed one. I am a mouth to lung vape. I started with the 1.2 ohm coils (still there) and vaped about 15 to 18 watts with them. Start low and work your way up. Good luck.

Allxxapologies

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks for all the replies! So I changed to the .5 and I definitely see a difference just not what I was aiming for, I might have to try putting it up higher. I am using 50/50 btw because with 70/30 I was getting a skin rash. So I am confused on this whole vv/w because with my istick I never touched the voltage because it changed with the wattage which is what you guys are saying but with the MVP I have it at 15 watts and the voltage is 4.5, so I changed it to 30 watts and looked at the voltage and it's still at 4.5. No matter what I change the wattage to the voltage stays the same. If the voltage is not able to change on its own why is there the option to do it? I'm so confused. I can physically go in and change the voltage from 3.0-9.0 but whatever it's at it stays at that no matter what I put the wattage to. Does that make sense?

Allxxapologies

Jun 16, 2015
P=IV
If voltage remains the same, to increase power, you increase the current.

Btw always check the airflow, if it's too constricted at high power, the vapour could be too hot to be healthy.
I'm just confused because everyone is saying you can't set both, only voltage or wattage but if I set the voltage at 5.0 and then wattage is at 15 and then change it to 30 the voltage stays the same. The voltage doesn't change with the wattage on mine, but it did on my istick. Maybe a better question is how does voltage affect your vape? If I have my wattage at 20 what should the voltage be at?

Cloudd

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
I mean it's logical to assume that if the voltage is indeed fixed, the current must be increased to raise the output power. (0.5 ohm right?) It's in the regulated device itself, doing it's work. But at higher resistance, the max amp is lower so it might increase the voltage too.

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
I'm just confused because everyone is saying you can't set both, only voltage or wattage but if I set the voltage at 5.0 and then wattage is at 15 and then change it to 30 the voltage stays the same. The voltage doesn't change with the wattage on mine, but it did on my istick. Maybe a better question is how does voltage affect your vape? If I have my wattage at 20 what should the voltage be at?
That would depend on your resistance. (Full explanation?)

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
Amarillo, TX
More VG equals more/denser vapor. Some people have an allergic reaction to PG, which is what I think you're describing. Try vaping more VG in your juices, I think you'll like the vapor production better that way.

Also, the stock Subtank drip tips are known to get pretty warm the more you vape with them. I'd replace yours with one that isn't made of metal.

As far as the air flow goes, I have both my Subtanks set on the two-hole air flow setting. I find it to be a good balance of flavor and draw. Stick with the wattage setting on your MVP 3, turning it up or down to get your vape to the way you like it. You've gone with a great combo, good luck on getting it to work better for you!

Sent from Doomite Central!

Cloudd

ECF Veteran
At 5V, 30W, the current going through the coils would be 6A. 5V, 15W, current would be 3A.

From ohms law, 5V at 0.5 ohms, give you a max current of 10A, which at this voltage, the max power is 50W. If you'd go any higher, you'll need to increase the voltage too, to reach the requirements. When using higher resistance coils, the max current at 5V would be lower, which means to reach higher power, you'll need to increase the voltage.

Allxxapologies

Jun 16, 2015
More VG equals more/denser vapor. Some people have an allergic reaction to PG, which is what I think you're describing. Try vaping more VG in your juices, I think you'll like the vapor production better that way.

Also, the stock Subtank drip tips are known to get pretty warm the more you vape with them. I'd replace yours with one that isn't made of metal.

As far as the air flow goes, I have both my Subtanks set on the two-hole air flow setting. I find it to be a good balance of flavor and draw. Stick with the wattage setting on your MVP 3, turning it up or down to get your vape to the way you like it. You've gone with a great combo, good luck on getting it to work better for you!

I tried a new tip and it helps a lot. Can you recommend any sites to get good e-juice with a higher VG?

I tried a plastic tip and it helps! Can you recommended any sites that has good e-juice with a higher VG?

Allxxapologies

Jun 16, 2015
At 5V, 30W, the current going through the coils would be 6A. 5V, 15W, current would be 3A.

From ohms law, 5V at 0.5 ohms, give you a max current of 10A, which at this voltage, the max power is 50W. If you'd go any higher, you'll need to increase the voltage too, to reach the requirements. When using higher resistance coils, the max current at 5V would be lower, which means to reach higher power, you'll need to increase the voltage.
Ok I understand, thanks for the help I'm going to do some research to increase my knowledge a little bit about ohms and whatnot, thanks again!

Reactions: Cloudd

DoomiteAsh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2014
Amarillo, TX

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario

I don't have an MVP3 but if it works like an MVP2 I can say this:

The wattage and voltage settings are independent. If I set the volts to 3.3 and then set the watts to 11, going back to volts will show 3.3.

This doesn't mean it was firing 3.3V @ 11W. It means it just saved my setting for when I switched it back to voltage mode.

I am not sure how you're inhaling but my Nautilus Mini can outvape my Subtank Mini if I am not doing it right. You need to take a long slow draw on the Mini.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread