Need help on wick and wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
I am about to purchase a rebuildable atomizer and just need some tips here. I am going to be using it on an MVP2 so I need a higher resistance.

I don't know if I should go with 32 or 34 gauge kanthal and I don't know what size wick I should get (anywhere from 1-3mm diameter silica). I know the silica has nothing to do with resistance but I just don't know why I would pick a certain size so some tips on which would work best for a standard built coil would be great.

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
In my opinion, 30 gauge Kanthal is your best bet on a regulated device topping out at 15 Watts or below. 28 gauge is stronger, but less responsive. 32 gauge is too weak and doesn't allow for many wraps. 30 gauge is a great compromise between them - it allows for more wraps than 32 while being more responsive than 28.

I use 30 gauge with my Provari (typically between 1.4 & 1.7 Ohms) and 28 & 26 for sub-Ohm builds with my Nemesis clones.

Last edited:

queevil

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
What kind of rba are you going with? I ask because I use a Kayfun clone or a Trident clone (a dripping atomizer) both on my Mvp2. The Mvp2 will fire down to 0.8 ohms. The Trident is dual coil. To use it in dual mode each coil needs to be wrapped to a minimum of 1.6 ohms for a resistance of 0.8 ohms. For this I use 30 ga. On the Kayfun I wrap my coils to about 1ohms with 28 ga kanthal. It's a bigger diameter so it covers an adequate surface area of the wick. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
What type of RBA are you going to be using? What resistence are you shooting for? I personally would recommend sticking around the 1.5Ω - 2.2Ω which you can achieve with 5 wraps of 32 guage Kanthal. Now if you are wanting to do subohming I would get a mechanical mod not the mvp2. Good luck to you and there are a bunch of threads on here that could help you find which one you are looking for. Happy vaping.

TheColdHandedVG

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2013
New York, USA
I am getting the cheap Smoktech RDA. I am shooting for around 2ohms.

I decided to go with 30 gauge kanthal and 2mm silica wick.

I will be getting a mech soon enough. I just want to try out some higher ohm builds on my MVP and then I will get into the mechanical mods. I was always so intimidated by mechs because everyone made it sound sooooo complicated and dangerous but once I looked into it and got a grasp I realized it is much MUCH simpler than I ever imagined. I can't wait to get into the mechs, I think that will be my sweet spot vaping experience.

The MVP2 is good to have anyways. It's such a solid mod, I would easily give it a 9/10. The damn battery lasts me a minimum of 2-3 days and sometimes I can go 4-5 days of heavy vaping if I stay at 4 volts or lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread