Need help with KFL+ v2, micro coil, cotton pad & P3

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2014
Kuala Lumpur, WP, Malaysia
I need some advice with my setup. My cotton pad (Muji Cut Cotton) keep breaking into half in the middle of the micro coil after vaping 3ml of juice or less.
My setup:
Authentic kayfun Lite Plus v2
Temco Kanthal A1 28awg 1.43 ohm micro coil on 2mm diameter
Cotton cut into strip along the grain with top and bottom layer remove.
ProVari 3 set to 9 watt with boost 2.

Before the P3, I was using Stingray mod clone, it was ok. Vape more then 3ml without fail.

*deleon517*

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2012
s. florida
while the power isn't high enough to be burning through the cotton, it's possible that it's not wicking fast enough to prevent drying out. Which can burning the cotton in the center. Remember the coils will heat from the center out, so the middle area can possibly be not getting enough liquid to stay wet. The cotton will expand slightly when wet. Which may be enough to restrict the flow of liquid to the center wraps.

Do you see burned marks are extreme darkening where the cotton is breaking?
Have you tried turning off the boost? Boost 2 will apply more power for the first 1/2 second of each button press. While it seems like a small thing if its heating enough to dry out the area this could be adding to or creating your wicking issues.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    ! use the 3.1, but it's pretty much the same thing. Been using the same coil & wick every day (but not all day) since the 26th of march.
    Now ask me why I like silica wicks (ekowool) :D

At this rate, I don't think I'll live long enough to use it all.
    thumbnail.asp

Last edited:

Kaezziel

Supreme Overlord of Everything
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 29, 2014
    Houston, TX, USA
    I'm the same as TJ, but I use rayon instead... I've actually gone through more than 100ml on the same wick... I'm at 50ml on a wick in my dripper at 0.22 ohms on a mech right now... it's all personal preference, but the trick is "Know your wick!"
    You have to build around your wicking material and juice thickness... if you're choking your wick and using a thick juice, you WILL burn cotton... even at low power

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2014
    while the power isn't high enough to be burning through the cotton, it's possible that it's not wicking fast enough to prevent drying out. Which can burning the cotton in the center. Remember the coils will heat from the center out, so the middle area can possibly be not getting enough liquid to stay wet. The cotton will expand slightly when wet. Which may be enough to restrict the flow of liquid to the center wraps.

Do you see burned marks are extreme darkening where the cotton is breaking?
    Have you tried turning off the boost? Boost 2 will apply more power for the first 1/2 second of each button press. While it seems like a small thing if its heating enough to dry out the area this could be adding to or creating your wicking issues.
    The cotton & coil turn dark if I vape 3ml. If vape less than 3ml, the cotton also almost break but not dark.
    I'm very sensitive with taste. Whenever I vape more than 3ml, I can taste burned. When I check my ohm reading, it will increase 0.01-0.02 then I know my coil is dark. Need to rewick.
    Whenever the taste is less and airly then confirm the cotton wick is broken in the middle between the coil.
    This does not happen on the stingray mods. The problem with the stingray mod is when the battery is full, it vape good but when battery run low, I get less taste.

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2014
    I think maybe you're choking the wick (too much wick) I run my kayfuns at 16-18 watts all the time and I've never burned through a cotton wick. I use(d) organic cotton balls for wicks though. I use rayon in my kayfuns now though.
    I use sterlise cotton ball does not break but the taste is muffled. Not as good as unblech cotton.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    I need some advice with my setup. My cotton pad (Muji Cut Cotton) keep breaking into half in the middle of the micro coil after vaping 3ml of juice or less.
    My setup:
    Authentic Kayfun Lite Plus v2
    Temco Kanthal A1 28awg 1.43 ohm micro coil on 2mm diameter
    Cotton cut into strip along the grain with top and bottom layer remove.
    ProVari 3 set to 9 watt with boost 2.

Before the P3, I was using Stingray mod clone, it was ok. Vape more then 3ml without fail.

9 watts is straightforward enough, but what the heck is 'boost 2'?

4x4/1.43= 11 watts.

You ought to be able to set 11 watts on the provari.

How about just set the provari to 3.7 volts or 4 volts and see if that makes a difference.

thmstwwng

ECF Veteran
    Aug 20, 2014
    9 watts is straightforward enough, but what the heck is 'boost 2'?

4x4/1.43= 11 watts.

You ought to be able to set 11 watts on the provari.

How about just set the provari to 3.7 volts or 4 volts and see if that makes a difference.

The ProVari 3 comes with HotShot Boost mode.

"HotShotTM Boost mode allows you to get more vapor with a short power boost with each puff. This setting is adjustable allowing you to dial-in your favorite boost time setting."

The ProVari 3 support wattage setting. Mine set at 9 watts = 3.4v

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    ok found something on boost mode

● HotShot™ Boost mode allows you to get more vapor with a short power boost with each puff. This setting is adjustable allowing you to dial-in your favorite boost time setting.

My guess is that boost 2 gives you 2 seconds at 6 volts.
    I can see that being the cause of your problem.

Try taking off the boost.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread