New and a bit lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DArcher

Jul 10, 2015
Hello everyone,

I'm new-ish to vaping and getting frustrated with my experience so far. I'm hoping to glean some wisdom from the lovely veterans on this forum and make better choices from now on.

I started with a cheap vaporizer and fair enough it didn't do well and broke all too soon.
So, about 2 months ago I bought an Aerotank V2 Clear Atomizer Series from Kangertech and some extra coils. I loved it! That is until I used up the 2 original coils that came with it and had to use the ones from my extra pack.

Now my Aerotank V2 leaks into the Airflow control base (I believe that's what its called) and up the mouthpiece when I try to use it. I tried 2 of the new coils, in case I had a faulty one, and they both had the same issue. I kept one of the original and reused it to test my vaporizer and it seems to be working fine except for the burned taste.

My extra coils pack is: Dual Coil Unit for KangerTech Cartomizer.

Please tell me I made a a rookie mistake and got the wrong coils.

Thank you for your time.

Reactions: mauricem00

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It is possible that the replacement coils are not compatible with your tank. Most "clearomizer" tanks use only propietary brand & model parts. Kanger and the other brand manufacturers make separate replacement coils for each one of their tanks. So its extremely important to know exactly the model & brand tank you have and which replacement coils it needs.

Additionally, screwing the coil head in too tight or loose can cause leakage. It should just be "snug".

Drawing (puffing) too forcefully can also cause the coil to flood, resulting in gurgling or leaking. A gentler, slower, longer draw works best for clearomizers.

Don't give up on this. We all have gone through the same experience innitially. Sometimes it takes a while to find what gear works best for us and how to use it properly. Experience helps, too.

Last edited:

DArcher

Jul 10, 2015
Hello and thank you for your reply, Baditude,

The model and brand is Aerotank V2 Clear Atomizer Series from Kangertech unless I'm missing some other information. I looked at the box and that's all it says along with a sticker with an ID number on it. I tried looking at different websites to see if I indeed have the wrong coils but so far I can't figure it out. I also tried to contact Kangertech customer support but they just seem to think I want a replacement, which I don't and was clear about, just the right coils to buy.

I don't think I'm screwing it on wrong or drawing too hard as my old coil works...its just well used and tastes burned...so I'm at a loss.

Again, thank you for your reply. :)

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Spare coils for the evod glass, protank 3 and aerotank v2 should be interchangeable... just uploaded a pic in another thread 'bout dem coils...
Snug fit , not too tight, not too loose ... and as Baditude said it :
go easy on the draw... some atomizers are more forgiving than others when it comes to puffing on them hard and fast...kanger isn't among them

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Hello everyone,

I'm new-ish to vaping and getting frustrated with my experience so far. I'm hoping to glean some wisdom from the lovely veterans on this forum and make better choices from now on.

I started with a cheap vaporizer and fair enough it didn't do well and broke all too soon.
So, about 2 months ago I bought an Aerotank V2 Clear Atomizer Series from Kangertech and some extra coils. I loved it! That is until I used up the 2 original coils that came with it and had to use the ones from my extra pack.

Now my Aerotank V2 leaks into the Airflow control base (I believe that's what its called) and up the mouthpiece when I try to use it. I tried 2 of the new coils, in case I had a faulty one, and they both had the same issue. I kept one of the original and reused it to test my vaporizer and it seems to be working fine except for the burned taste.

Thank you for your time.
I had a similar problem with replacement coils. some of the replacement coils on the market are just junk.they are not that hard to rebuild and learning how to do that may be a good option.the dual coil units seem to have more problems with this than the older shorter single coil units

Reactions: DArcher

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Clearomizers are often considered "beginner" juice delivery devices. They are simple and easy to use/fill. However, they aren't necessarily the best juice attachments available. Many of us have moved on to "rebuildable" coils (RBA's or RTA's) so that we don't have to depend upon factory made coils which sometimes suffer from poor quality control.

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
What type of juice are you using? Also what type of battery are you using???

I Did once have a protank 2 and i was not a fan of the coils. Sometimes different vg/pg ratios i have found to spit a bit more then others... Also I have found that sometimes lowering or going higher on wattage helps. As for the burnt taste you need to make sure you prime the coils before installation. i believe the areotank coils are similar to the pro tank ones. there should be two tiny strands of wick hanging out the top of the coil. Put a few drops of juice on the wicks before installing, then maybe let it sit in tank for about 5 mins, take a few easy pulls on it without firing the button and then fire and you should be good to go.

You might not want to hear this but i really really recommend the aspire nautilus mini. I cant really comment too much on the aerotanks but if they are anything like the pro tanks i didnt like it at all. I switched to the Mini, with the bottom coils and a box mod (20 watts will be good enough) and had a much better experience.

Dont give up, just like everything else there is a learning curve and we have all been through trail and error.

Good Luck!

DArcher

Jul 10, 2015
I have watched some videos on rebuildable coils on youtube and I do hope to move up to those one day, but I unfortunately I spent more than I had to get this tank, coils, battery, etc and I'm not even sure if the rebuildable ones will work with it. I can't even figure out if any coils (other than the ones that came with it) will at this point. I hope to get at least an idea if I have the right coils from Kanger support.

For now I'm stuck with this one and need to get it to work again. Though I would absolutely love and appreciate some suggestions for the future, if anyone would care to guide me through what my next set should be. Links are also welcome, I don't mind reading as long as its not too technical.

I'll also spent today trying all your suggestions and see if I'm doing something wrong with the new coils.

Nivek13 - My battery is a eGo-T, sorry but other than that I don't know much about it...I'm rather new, jumped the gun, and probably messed up bad.

Thank you all, I feel like such a noob and a pain but I do read everything you say and will try my best to follow instructions.

Nivek13

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2015
Chicago,IL
I have watched some videos on rebuildable coils on youtube and I do hope to move up to those one day, but I unfortunately I spent more than I had to get this tank, coils, battery, etc and I'm not even sure if the rebuildable ones will work with it. I can't even figure out if any coils (other than the ones that came with it) will at this point. I hope to get at least an idea if I have the right coils from Kanger support.

For now I'm stuck with this one and need to get it to work again. Though I would absolutely love and appreciate some suggestions for the future, if anyone would care to guide me through what my next set should be. Links are also welcome, I don't mind reading as long as its not too technical.

I'll also spent today trying all your suggestions and see if I'm doing something wrong with the new coils.

Nivek13 - My battery is a eGo-T, sorry but other than that I don't know much about it...I'm rather new, jumped the gun, and probably messed up bad.

Thank you all, I feel like such a noob and a pain but I do read everything you say and will try my best to follow instructions.

Archer, Don't apologize, we understand and we all were in your shoes. I started with almost the exact same setup you have and now I'm building my own coils. I would not jump into that too quick. As long as what you have is working use it until you gain some more knowledge. There is SO many products, reviews, vaping preferences....everyone is different and what works for someone might not work for you.

Here is a good link for areotank coil installation.

I recommend this tank to any new vaper i meet.
Aspire Nautilus Mini BVC Tank $22.24 USA | Best Vape Deals

This is the next battery i would personally recommend
iStick 30W
... either this or the 50w... It will work very well with the Mini and if you get the 30 or 50w it should give you enough power to upgrade from the Mini to sub ohm tanks or rebuildable atomizer systems in the future. long story short tanks, and atomizers are a dime a dozen and are relatively cheap. But if you think vaping is for you and you are gunna stick with it i would invest in a better quality battery that will allow you to vape whatever tank you are using now and upgrade later.

Once again that's just the setup that worked for me at the time, but i encourage you to read reviews, and do your research, there's A LOT of products out there.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    I'll bet you've heard this before but it bears repeating.

Before using a new coil I put it in my mouth and blow on ether the input or output end to check the air flow. Some factory coils have better airflow than others.

After deciding that the airflow is decent enough I'll then purposely FLOOD the coil by dousing the inside with juice (completely filling in it the process!) and setting it aside. After a few minutes to let the juice prime the coil well and good I'll then put the center electrode end in my mouth and blow out the excess juice. As others have said install coil snug/finger tight.

Most of my tanks are bottom fill and you have to be careful not to over fill or get juice in the air tube. After reassembly a handful of unfired draws to pressurize the tank and you ought to be all set.

While I've mostly used Aspire Nautilus tanks my "flooding" experiences are similar to other models/manufacturers - it starts with me not getting enough vapor so I draw harder on the drip-tip and the coil floods. Sometimes I have the voltage/power level to low to vaporize the juice.

Whatever be the issue in your case don't give up! Sometimes a solution is just a different technique or coil away!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 2, 2012
    England and Wales
    Anything called "Kanger Dual Coil" should fit. There were a few different types, some were less good than others. I avoided them throughout the whole "evolution" process as the reviews suggested the dual coils performed poorly unless you had a more powerful battery and never really solved the leaking issues. The "Upgraded Dual Coil" consistently got bad reviews in the UK... so Kanger's evolution clearly didn't make many people happy.

Do the new ones look the same? Have you pulled out the chimney and had a good look around? It does seem strange the ones with the tank worked for you and then it all went bad.

Sometimes things get messed up, vapers lose the sealing O rings and things like that.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    Hi, and welcome to the board. It could be you got the wrong coils, or you're not putting them in right. Or maybe you got a bad package, too. They make those things by the millions and manufacturing defects happen. Stick with it, and I am sure you will get it right. I have an Aerotank V1 that was my favorite tank before I started rebuilding. I still carry it in my car kit as an emergency spare in case I burn a coil/wick while out and about and don't have anything handy to work with. The reviews/consensus on them bounces around. Some people love them, others not so much. If you decide the tank is the problem, or it's not worth messing with, let me suggest an Aspire Nautilus (either size, please yourself) as a replacement. And be sure everybody has had this trouble from time to time. Lol, I've been rebuilding my own tanks for years, but the first time I put a build in my Fogger V6, I didn't get enough wick in the juice channels. When I filled it, the chamber flooded completely, and filled up right up the chimney all the way to the drip tip. It happens. Don't get frustrated, just fix it and vape on :)

David Wolf

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 11, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Hello everyone,

Thank you for your time.
    Are your Extra coils the same size as your ones the v2 came with? Reading online the v2 may not work with older style aero tank coils. Get coils that say for aero tank V2. Kanger™ Dual Coil Replacement Atomizer Heads / Coils

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    first off, Welcome - you are in the right place!

in the meantime, would echo daviedog's suggestion about cleaning old coils - may be able to get a little more non-burnt taste mileage out of them while you are sorting this out - try soaking in some pga (pure grain alcohol, such as everclear) or vodka overnight - rinse well with hot water then air dry on paper towel

did you get the replacement coils from same place you got tank originally?

DArcher

Jul 10, 2015
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and suggestions.
    I've cleaned my old coil as suggested by dcfluegel (thank you) and its working a little better now. I hope to get enough use out of it until I can order the new ones.

Thank you for the coils link David M!

The coils I have look the same as the ones it came with, at least to me. I think I see a small difference on how they "sit" but I'm not 100% sure. I will give it a try with new coils, since I was so happy with it before. The coils did come from the same place as my tank, their customer support though hasn't been a lot of help so I'll probably look for a different place to get my next one.

I am starting to believe that it might be a good idea to have a backup. I will be looking into Aspire Nautilus since so many of you suggested it. Any tips for what to look for? What battery is best with what, coils, etc?

You guys are great, I can't thank you enough.

Reactions: David Wolf

dcfluegel

Shenaniganator
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2015
    Cleveland TN
    nautilus would likely make an excellent backup for you and would work fine on an ego-t style battery

might also be worth looking at a backup (or upgrade) battery setup - personally, i am partial to the kanger subox kit (though the kanger subtank might have too much airflow for you if you are mouth to lung vaper - you can dial down the airflow on it and it does have a non-subohm coil with it (and replacements available also)) as it uses a replaceable battery, can charge via usb port passthrough (though an external charger is recommended - decent single bay chargers are available for under $15), if pretty user friendly, small and versatile - you will also get a number of recommendations for iSticks - also a decent device, as I understand it, though I dont really have any experience with them... my wife uses an ego ONE and likes it quite a bit also (very user friendly, usb chargeable, similar form factor to your ego-t) - just some random thoughts/ suggestions :)

Reactions: David Wolf

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcomes and suggestions.
    I've cleaned my old coil as suggested by dcfluegel (thank you) and its working a little better now. I hope to get enough use out of it until I can order the new ones.

Thank you for the coils link David M!

The coils I have look the same as the ones it came with, at least to me. I think I see a small difference on how they "sit" but I'm not 100% sure. I will give it a try with new coils, since I was so happy with it before. The coils did come from the same place as my tank, their customer support though hasn't been a lot of help so I'll probably look for a different place to get my next one.

I am starting to believe that it might be a good idea to have a backup. I will be looking into Aspire Nautilus since so many of you suggested it. Any tips for what to look for? What battery is best with what, coils, etc?

You guys are great, I can't thank you enough.

A backup is always a good idea.
    And if you happen to come across an rda next time you go to the shop, worth looking at.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread