New Member, Hello All!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiberdsn

Oct 6, 2015
Hey Everyone,

My name is Stan and I'm from Ottawa, Ontario. ECF looked like one of the more active and informative forums out there so I decided to join.

I'm relatively new to vaping, started out in July of this year with the Kangertech subox Mini Kit and recently purchased the ipv D2 - it's set up with an Aeolus V2 Pro at the moment. Sometimes I switch to and from the Subtank Mini.

I have a question about mechanical mods and even though I've done countless hours of research, I haven't been able to come to a conclusion because it seems like definite answers come more often when a specific device, atomizer and battery details are provided.

I have the following items that I'd like to use as my mech. mod setup but I was wondering if I should be aware of any faults with this setup?

- Fuhattan Mod (copper)
- Tobh Atty V2 (copper)
- Battery (Sony SE US18650VTC5, 2600MAH, 3.7v)
- Nitecore D2 charger

If I were to build a .45ohm dual coil build in my atomizer, I would be pulling about 9.3amps (continuous discharge) at full charge (4.2v) or 8.2amps at 3.7v. Viewing the specs of the Sony battery, it says "Maximum Rated Continuous Discharge Current: 30A" - I presume that the battery is suitable for the build/setup. Correct?

Some of my sources:
http://www.thevapesquad.com/store/p..._2600mAh_30A_Li-Ion_Rechargeable_Battery.html
http://invape.com/ohms-law-calculator
http://invape.com/understanding-e-cigarette-battery-usage/
http://invape.com/e-cig-battery-calculator/

Pardon the ignorance if I messed up any details - any help, critique, suggestions or general knowledge would be great. I am completely open to earning and would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Stan

Reactions: Wolfenstark

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum @vape_haus. Glad to have you here!:)
If I were to build a .45ohm dual coil build in my atomizer, I would be pulling about 9.3amps (continuous discharge) at full charge (4.2v) or 8.2amps at 3.7v. Viewing the specs of the Sony battery, it says "Maximum Rated Continuous Discharge Current: 30A" - I presume that the battery is suitable for the build/setup. Correct?
Yes, you are safe with your build. However the Sony VTC5 is a 20A CDR cell. @Mooch has bench tested this battery.

Check out some of @Mooch's battery blogs for more information.
When considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery (like the Sony VTC5), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery."

With a 30A battery (like the LG HB6), 0.28Ω is the lowest I would build.

phiberdsn

Oct 6, 2015
This is great - I'll take a good read through those links!
Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum @vape_haus. Glad to have you here!:)

Yes, you are safe with your build. However the Sony VTC5 is a 20A CDR cell. @Mooch has bench tested this battery.

Check out some of @Mooch's battery blogs for more information.
When considering how low you can build you need to give yourself some headroom. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20A battery (like the Sony VTC5), that would be 10A. This Ohm's Law Calculator tells me that a 0.4Ω build is as low as I would want to use.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, a 20A battery may only be a 10A battery."

With a 30A battery (like the LG HB6), 0.28Ω is the lowest I would build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread