New Member: Some Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
Hi there,

I've tried to use ecigs to help me quit smoking a couple of times before, without much success.

I'm after something straightforward and as close to real cigs as possible - I'm not interested in messing with liquids and parts, so I'm trying to find something "off the shelf" that I get on with. My choice isn't made any easier by the fact I live in Portugal, so what I can get hold of is limited.

My previous experience of eCigs is as follows:

1. I purchased one of these sets with a range of different cartridges: SMUKY ® Electronic Cigarettes | Kit Basic Original | SMUKY® Cigarro Electrónico

Unfortunately, I found that using it gave me a nasty sinusy headache within a few puffs, even with the nicotine-free carts. The taste was pretty nasty too, and a couple of times I ended up with liquid leaking into my mouth - not a nice experience.

I wondered if the headache was due to the PG, so when I went to the US earlier this year I...

2. Purchased two disposable BLU ecigs (mainly because they were easy to find and they are VG instead.)

This time, no headache. The flavour of the menthol one was OK, but the tobacco flavour was nasty. I also found that the vapor seemed to catch in my throat and make me cough.

SO....eight months on, I want to have another go, and I'm tempted by this Green Smoke starter kit: Green Smoke Starter Kit

I know Green Smoke gets mixed reviews, but that largely their reputation is good and a lot of the criticism is down to price. Price doesn't really concern me at this point - it's more important that I have another good go at giving up smoking, which is particularly important as my wife is pregnant with our first child. I'm also intrigued that Green Smoke carts use a mix of PG / VG.

Can anyone tell me whether they think I'll get better results with the Green Smoke than with the Smuky and Blu products I've tried? I feel ready to hit the "buy" button, but would like some reassurance that it's a much better product than those I've tried already.

Many Thanks

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Thank you - that does seem to lead to Portuguese forums populated with people customising and making liquids - not really what I'm looking for.

I know the Green Smoke is expensive, but is it a better product than the Smuky and the Blu that I've tried?

Sorry to sound like such a noob!

Please no apologies necessary and I apologize to you. Do you want a cig sized Ecig or would a little larger be a problems? How much do you smoke per day?

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
NJoy is ok. I've tried them and find them fine. Two hour battery life for me and $8.00 a pop, so not optimal, but very good while they lasted. YMMV. Good luck to you. The Cigalike is a great way to try your hand at vaping. If you like it, there are many better ways to go as Vapoor Eyes suggested. Liking vaping, and deciding that chasing the vape is worth some hassle, often leads to upgrades that provide both a better vape, at far less cost, and can be customized to meet your personal preferences. Good luck to you and welcome to the Forum.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I used Green Smoke for about a year. Dropped it due to price but it is a good product and has good flavors. I felt like a whole new person thanks to the product though. Major difference in my health.

People tend to cough when they inhale directly into their lungs. My guess is the vapor is going directly to the back of the throat where it's rapidly drying the sensitive tissue. Mouth-draw, then inhale and see if that helps. Best of luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree completely with Vapoor eyes. Many of the cigarette-style battery companies are more about fancy advertising websites but pushing poorly performing gear. If you are a wise shopper, you will avoid the cigarette-style batteries altogether. I understand wanting something that looks and feels like a cigarette to make the transition from smoking to vaping easier, but those setups plain and simple suck.

I recommend avoiding the cigalikes and starting with a eGo Spinner or eGo Twist batteries. Top the batteries off with a clearomizer juice attachment, and purchase a several replacement coil heads for the clearomizer you choose. Do your research on the clearomizers before you purchase any to see which will likely fit your preferences. You will need to purchase e-liquid in bottles and add this to your clearomizers.

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder to Ego's & Mods

A Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vapor

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? Juice Attachments

vivinovamini-twist.jpg

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
Thanks BMV. Would you recommend NJoy over the Green Smoke? I think I've seen NJoy in Portugal, but only kits, not disposables...

I haven't tried the Green Smoke and have heard a lot of praise for the NJoy. I used the smaller 510 setups several years ago, go some free NJoy sampler packs recently, else I vape with a "real" starter kit, or better APV, and get the juice that suits my taste. Finding a good juice is perhaps the hardest part of vaping, not getting decent gear. A small investment in time at a local vape shop (not sure you have any), or sampler packs in a good clearomizer tank with the ego/stick batteries will provide a far better vape, imho, than either Green's or Njoy's. Yeah, they are a bit more effort, but well worth it, imho, and you can use any juice you like. Also, variable voltage stick batteries allow you to customize the heat at the coil to optimize the vape/flavor on any juice you might find. So, I suggest you try the Njoy's for the first week, and if you like it, consider something a little more robust that can really be a significantly better vape. It takes what it takes, and vaping over smoking is always a "win". Best to you!

btportugal

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
UK
Thanks all.

I fully accept that more experienced vapers prefer "proper" vaping equipment, and I may move onto all that, but for now I just want to try one more "cigalike" to see if there's actually one that I can get on with. Once I get past that step I may feel more ready to deal with the language barrier problems associated with buying liquids and suchlike when my Portuguese isn't that good and I won't understand the instructions.

Having not had great results with the Blu and the Smuky, I'm not yet even convinced my body deals with the PG very well!

The main thing I'm keen to find out at this point is whether the Green Smoke is considered to be better than the products I've tried already? Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Many thanks

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I think my main worry is that I spend that money and find the PG gives me a headache again!
You can order the juice in varying nicotine/ mg levels. It may have been too high a level of nicotine that gave you the headaches. You can also order juice in varying PG/ VG ratios. The industry standard is 70/ 30 PG/ VG BUT many are now using 50/ 50 PG/ VG as it gives a smoother vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread