New To Building Coils, Please Help!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, ive been vaping for like 4 years but just got into coil building. I just got a subtank mini a couple months ago and have been messing around with the rba deck. Heres the problem I have horrible ADD and am horrible at math..but ive got the basic building parts down..for right now all I have to work with is 30g kanthal, and a coil jig. Now, i know how to wrap, and i know how to wick, but i just cant figure out or seem to get right how many wraps or the right diameter to make this damn coil.. its driving me crazy.. i keep getting it to read at around 1.4 - 1.7 and i really want around .5 can anyone please help???? (without yelling at me about math)

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Seeing has how the subtank mini RBA deck is single coil, well people have done dual coils before.

If you did a single coil, 2.5mm diameter you would need 1 wrap which isn't going to work. If you can twist 3 strands together and wrap it at 2.5mm diameter you would need 7 wraps. The only way you're getting to 0.5 with 30g is twisting 3 strands. 30g isn't for subohm typically.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hello everyone, ive been vaping for like 4 years but just got into coil building. I just got a subtank mini a couple months ago and have been messing around with the RBA deck. Heres the problem I have horrible ADD and am horrible at math..but ive got the basic building parts down..for right now all I have to work with is 30g kanthal, and a coil jig. Now, i know how to wrap, and i know how to wick, but i just cant figure out or seem to get right how many wraps or the right diameter to make this damn coil.. its driving me crazy.. i keep getting it to read at around 1.4 - 1.7 and i really want around .5 can anyone please help???? (without yelling at me about math)
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

8 wrap
2 ohm
2mm
30 gauge
single coil
11 watts

Ya, im gonna get thicker wire next week. im just trying to get something working with what i got. If anyone has a good combination for me to use as a beginner i would greatly appreciate it!! the more vapor the better, i never did the whole twisting thing, but i can youtube it.. oh and i use high vg liguid.. 90% if that matters..

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ya, im gonna get thicker wire next week. im just trying to get something working with what i got. If anyone has a good combination for me to use as a beginner i would greatly appreciate it!! the more vapor the better, i never did the whole twisting thing, but i can youtube it.. oh and i use high vg liguid.. 90% if that matters..

Building Coil is Fun when you get it down.

But some people, like Myself, are Lazy. So some just buy Pre-Coiled Coils like these...

Kanthal Microcoil - 10pcs - 0.5ohm

Or if you don't mind waiting for 2 weeks or so, these...

$4.66 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 24 AWG / 0.5mm dia. / 0.5ohm / 12*12mm leads / 7 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I like to Build Coils. And it is cool to get out the Coil Master and DIY a Coil. But more times than not, I just plug in a Pre-Coiled Coil.

Building Coil is Fun when you get it down.

But some people, like Myself, are Lazy. So some just buy Pre-Coiled Coils like these...

Kanthal Microcoil - 10pcs - 0.5ohm

Or if you don't mind waiting for 2 weeks or so, these...

$4.66 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 24 AWG / 0.5mm dia. / 0.5ohm / 12*12mm leads / 7 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

I like to Build Coils. And it is cool to get out the Coil Master and DIY a Coil. But more times than not, I just plug in a Pre-Coiled Coil.
ya, i buy all my stuff from myvaporstore.com they are great! i tried the pre made coils and i must have been doing somethng wrong cause i couldnt get them to work to good. like i said im new to building..

Reactions: thetrucker
The STm actually performs better when not used as a sub tank. I build 1.2Ω coils (6wraps 28g) and at 22 watts it is a very nice vape, not to mention longer battery life. Don't buy into the hype, higher voltage vaping is better than higher wattage vaping...for me at least.
interesting...i was actualy going to try one of these higher ohm coils that i built.. and see how it works. so i guess i will see.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ya, i buy all my stuff from myvaporstore.com they are great! i tried the pre made coils and i must have been doing somethng wrong cause i couldnt get them to work to good. like i said im new to building..

What Exactly seems to be the Problem with the Pre-Made Coils.

Maybe we can Help you?

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
interesting...i was actualy going to try one of these higher ohm coils that i built.. and see how it works. so i guess i will see.
30g 6wraps 2.5mm ID should put your in the neighborhood of 1.8Ω. At 16 watts it should be a satisfying vape. A spaced coil will be easier to manage with 30g as well.

What Exactly seems to be the Problem with the Pre-Made Coils.

Maybe we can Help you?
i dont think i have a problem with the coils.. i think i just dont really know what im doing.. i think when i buy more stuff next week im gonna get different gauge wire and some more pre made coils to try again.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
i dont think i have a problem with the coils.. i think i just dont really know what im doing.. i think when i buy more stuff next week im gonna get different gauge wire and some more pre made coils to try again.

It does take a Little Practice. So don't feel Bad if your first couple Attempts don't come out perfect.

Here is a Step by Step Guide to building the Kanger Subtank Mini RBA.

I know... I know... Rip Tripper can be Kinda an Azz Clown with his Southern Stick. But the Video does have Clear, Bright Closeups of what is Going On.

Reactions: catsnotcops
It does take a Little Practice. So don't feel Bad if your first couple Attempts don't come out perfect.

Here is a Step by Step Guide to building the Kanger Subtank Mini RBA.

I know... I know... Rip Tripper can be Kinda an Azz Clown with his Southern Stick. But the Video does have Clear, Bright Closeups of what is Going On.

ya ive watched this one a bunch of times.. ive built a bunch of coils.. the main problem i keep running into, other then the ohms are higher then i want .. but thats mainly cause the wire is too thin...i think.. still not sure how all that works.. but the main problem is its really burnt tasting.. not sure if im not using enough cotton or what??

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ya ive watched this one a bunch of times.. ive built a bunch of coils.. the main problem i keep running into, other then the ohms are higher then i want .. but thats mainly cause the wire is too thin...i think.. still not sure how all that works.. but the main problem is its really burnt tasting.. not sure if im not using enough cotton or what??

If you are using the Original Style RBA Section, the one that Doesn't have Side Holes in the RBA Barrel, the Burnt Taste you are getting may have More to do with How Much e-Liquid is reaching the Wick than the Coil or Wick themselves. Especially if you use High VG e-Liquids.

Here is something I posted when I got my First Subtank Mini...

I use Higher VG e-Liquids.

When I got my Kanger Subtank Mini (KSM), I took one look at the e-Liquids Slots in the RBA section and said... "No Way".

20 Minutes later with the edge of a Small Jewelry files, I opened up the Slots about 50% in both the Width and the Depth. With the Larger Slots, I can Back-to-Back Chain Vape if I want on 80% VG.

You might want to consider Opening up your Slots and see if it Helps.

pbanj

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2015
virginia, usa
www.gotbrew.org
If ur getting a burnt taste than you need to change up your wicking, with the old style rba on the mini u want to be able to see the juice channel on each side. Before I got the new style I would wet the wick and then move it away from the juice channel. I'll get u a pic of what I'm talking about in a little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread