New to RBAs…Battery safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holdes2013

Oct 21, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new to RBAs, I just got my first one a couple of days ago. My mod is a Stingray clone, and the Atomizer is a Stillare clone as well. The battery I'm using is the battery that the guy at the shop recommended because it was "the safest one that they had." It's an 18650 3.7V 2500mAh. I have a dual coil in my atomizer (my first coil build) and it was reading .3 Ohms. I'm using cotton as my wick, and disco vapor juice. I don't know much about ohms. I'm extremely new to this, but I want to make sure I'm building safe, and avoiding any explosions. Could someone please give me some valuable information about ohms, and what is safe for my set up? It'd be greatly appreciated.

inter_ceptor00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2011
Minor Details
Lots of good info here. Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

Your batteries are the newer chemistry INR batteries (saw your previous thread) so they are indeed safe but only to a point.

just google Ohm's law and you will find out all you need to know. It's basic math Amps=Volts/Resistance

edit: Your batteries are rated as 20A batteries , a 3.7v battery with a .185ohm coil is pushing 20 amps, the max limit.
A .3ohm at 3.7v is 12.33amps and 45 watts of power. You can find a calculator online to help do the math quicker.

Last edited:

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Yeah most importantly what are your batteries?

From what I can think of (and a quick google seems to confirm this) most 18650s at 2500mAh are 20 amp batteries, such as the bogus 35A purple efest and those LG batteries. So I hope at least you have that if your B&M said they were the safest batteries.

If your build is measured accurately to 0.3 ohms then you'll be pulling ~15A from a freshly charged battery which should be ok if your batteries are what I suspect.

Ohm's Law Calculator

So yeah, what are the batteries? What are you using to measure the ohms of your coil?

edit: also agree with the guy above, 0.3 ohms is perhaps a bit low for a first try, just because building that low you're getting near the limits of safety with a 20A battery and if you don't do the build exactly right etc you might get even closer etc etc. I'd recommend starting a bit higher and working down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread