New user. Any advice? Here's what I ordered

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroLeoX

Jul 15, 2015
Hello fellow Vapers! I'm new to these forums, and to the world of sub ohming. I've been using ecig products since the beginning with those disposable logic ecigs, and moved on to Ego battery setups. I currently have a few Vision Spinner IIs, as well as a MVP with a Subtank mini on it (I know I know, makes no sense, but money was tight, and I bought this original mvp when it was new) anyway, needless to say, I'm ready for an upgrade! Here is what I recently ordered, though haven't received yet:

-sigelei 150w mod
-sigelei 75w TC mod
-Kanger Subtank Plus V2 (I already own a mini)
-SIGELEI IMR18650 Rechargeable Battery 4 pack
-A NIGHTCORE i4 Intelligent Charger
- box of Kanger OCC nickel replacement heads, .15 ohms
-box of Kanger replacement heads .5 ohms

Plus a bunch of different juices, some from mt baker, because I've always looked for a good peanut butter flavor. Here's hoping I found one.

ANYWAY! what do you guys think? Went too overboard for my first foray into subohming? Any advice from anybody here?

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Thanks! Yeah, I think so! I got so jealous of the guys working at my local vape shop for blowing out these mountainous clouds from their mech mods. Maybe now I can compete!

Easy Now! Only way to compete with a Mech & RDA is WITH a Mech & RDA.
Fire with Fire.
Sorry, Old Mech Warrior here :thumb:

Reactions: Darth Omerta

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Hello fellow Vapers! I'm new to these forums, and to the world of sub ohming. I've been using ecig products since the beginning with those disposable logic ecigs, and moved on to Ego battery setups. I currently have a few Vision Spinner IIs, as well as a MVP with a Subtank mini on it (I know I know, makes no sense, but money was tight, and I bought this original mvp when it was new) anyway, needless to say, I'm ready for an upgrade! Here is what I recently ordered, though haven't received yet:

-Sigelei 150w mod
-Sigelei 75w TC mod
-Kanger Subtank Plus V2 (I already own a mini)
-SIGELEI IMR18650 Rechargeable Battery 4 pack
-A NIGHTCORE i4 Intelligent Charger
- box of Kanger OCC nickel replacement heads, .15 ohms
-box of Kanger replacement heads .5 ohms

Plus a bunch of different juices, some from mt baker, because I've always looked for a good peanut butter flavor. Here's hoping I found one.

ANYWAY! what do you guys think? Went too overboard for my first foray into subohming? Any advice from anybody here?

Yowza. As @Hitcat44 said, definitely came out of the box strong.

I'll try and provide you with as much information as I can, but I'm sure other users will add more.

Firstly, the Sigelei 150W box mod is a pretty high-powered device. It's capable of firing low-ohm RDA's (rebuildable dripping atomizers), which is probably what you see the dudes in your local vape shop chucking clouds on. The art of the RDA requires a fair bit of experience and understanding of Ohm's Law -- we'll leave that alone until you're ready (though feel free to ask questions here).

The temperature-controlled Sig75 is a relatively new release. I haven't heard particularly negative or positive reviews, though I'm sure you can research some online if you look. It's important to note that it has temperature control features, which is where your .15 ohm nickel heads will come into play. The main thing to keep in mind is that you should not put these nickel heads on your Sigelei 150W, as it doesn't have temperature control features. It'll fire your nickel heads at full blast, which may not necessarily be bad, but the ohms are too low. You'll be pushing the safety limits on your batteries. Which brings me to..

Your batteries. I uh, I'm not sure what the amp limit on those batteries are. Could we get some more specifics? Considering you have a device capable of 75W and 150W now, you'll want to make sure all your batteries have a CDR (amp limit) of 20A. There are 30A batteries on the market, but I'm [understandably] skeptical given the many scandals of rewraps involving batteries that claim higher specs than they're actually proven to be rated for.

You need to marry your batteries. This is extremely important. When you get your batteries you should definitely mark them appropriately, ie: "A1, A2, B1, B2". A1 and A2 go together everywhere, and B1 and B2 go together everywhere. You do not mix the pairs. This is to ensure an even amount of charge cycles/stress on both batteries. If you use one of the batteries independent of its married set, it is no longer suitable for use in its pair. Married batteries must stay together. While most regulated devices (hopefully) should prevent a "worst case scenario", it is possible for bad things to happen if, say, A1 is fully charged and A2 is near-empty. Ideally your device will protect against a failure in that scenario, but really I would say just err on the side of caution. Charge the batteries together, use the batteries together, don't mix the sets. Capisce?

That's about all I can think of right now, although people will likely chime in with more. Overall I think you made some good purchases, you'll have a lot of fun toys to play around with and it allows for a lot of flexibility (ie: you can upgrade to an RDA with relative ease/without the need to update your devices). I'm a pretty big MBV fan -- I always have a large bottle of Hawk Sauce on deck. It's a darn tasty juice.

Welcome to the ECF.

DroLeoX

Jul 15, 2015
Yowza. As @Hitcat44 said, definitely came out of the box strong.

I'll try and provide you with as much information as I can, but I'm sure other users will add more.

Firstly, the Sigelei 150W box mod is a pretty high-powered device. It's capable of firing low-ohm RDA's (rebuildable dripping atomizers), which is probably what you see the dudes in your local vape shop chucking clouds on. The art of the RDA requires a fair bit of experience and understanding of Ohm's Law -- we'll leave that alone until you're ready (though feel free to ask questions here).

The temperature-controlled Sig75 is a relatively new release. I haven't heard particularly negative or positive reviews, though I'm sure you can research some online if you look. It's important to note that it has temperature control features, which is where your .15 ohm nickel heads will come into play. The main thing to keep in mind is that you should not put these nickel heads on your Sigelei 150W, as it doesn't have temperature control features. It'll fire your nickel heads at full blast, which may not necessarily be bad, but the ohms are too low. You'll be pushing the safety limits on your batteries. Which brings me to..

Your batteries. I uh, I'm not sure what the amp limit on those batteries are. Could we get some more specifics? Considering you have a device capable of 75W and 150W now, you'll want to make sure all your batteries have a CDR (amp limit) of 20A. There are 30A batteries on the market, but I'm [understandably] skeptical given the many scandals of rewraps involving batteries that claim higher specs than they're actually proven to be rated for.

You need to marry your batteries. This is extremely important. When you get your batteries you should definitely mark them appropriately, ie: "A1, A2, B1, B2". A1 and A2 go together everywhere, and B1 and B2 go together everywhere. You do not mix the pairs. This is to ensure an even amount of charge cycles/stress on both batteries. If you use one of the batteries independent of its married set, it is no longer suitable for use in its pair. Married batteries must stay together. While most regulated devices (hopefully) should prevent a "worst case scenario", it is possible for bad things to happen if, say, A1 is fully charged and A2 is near-empty. Ideally your device will protect against a failure in that scenario, but really I would say just err on the side of caution. Charge the batteries together, use the batteries together, don't mix the sets. Capisce?

That's about all I can think of right now, although people will likely chime in with more. Overall I think you made some good purchases, you'll have a lot of fun toys to play around with and it allows for a lot of flexibility (ie: you can upgrade to an RDA with relative ease/without the need to update your devices). I'm a pretty big MBV fan -- I always have a large bottle of Hawk Sauce on deck. It's a darn tasty juice.

Welcome to the ECF.
Ok, sounds good, and just a heads up, I'm attending an electrical class at a technical school at the moment, so I have Ohm's law down. That was the first thing we learned :p

As far as the batteries, these are the ones I'm talking about. I mean, they're Sigelei brand.. I know they're not Sony or Samsung, but they're the battery recommended by Sigelei for my mods.

SIGELEI 18650 2500mah 30A _BATTERY_SIGELEI BATTERY_SIGELEI Electronic Cigarette -

Reactions: Hitcat44

DroLeoX

Jul 15, 2015
Also! When it comes to marrying batteries, isn't that only really necessary in an unregulated mod, that has charging capabilities? I'm never going to charge my battery within the mod, that's the reason for the i4. so the external smart charger coupled with the safety features of the mods should make marrying less important, right? I will marry, but it'll be confusing because I have 4 batteries, one mod uses 2, and the other only uses one. I'll marry the 150w's batteries for sure, though. Also, what's the best way to mark a battery? Just use a Sharpie? Anywhere in particular a good spot to mark?

Reactions: madangus

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Also! When it comes to marrying batteries, isn't that only really necessary in an unregulated mod, that has charging capabilities? I'm never going to charge my battery within the mod, that's the reason for the i4. so the external smart charger coupled with the safety features of the mods should make marrying less important, right? I will marry, but it'll be confusing because I have 4 batteries, one mod uses 2, and the other only uses one. I'll marry the 150w's batteries for sure, though. Also, what's the best way to mark a battery? Just use a Sharpie? Anywhere in particular a good spot to mark?

I've never heard of a catastrophic failure directly related to unmarried batteries, but I strongly urge most people to do it. I believe in an unregulated mod it'd be just as important as a regulated mod. I think the difference comes in how the batteries are wired (series vs. parallel) -- though I'm not 100% on the specifics.

Good on never charging the batteries inside the mod. I never trusted any of the onboard chargers.

I've marked my batteries with a label maker. Sharpie tends to rub off after some time. Doesn't really matter where as long as it's not on the contacts and it's visible. It'll also help remind you of the battery orientation.

On top of that, it's a good idea to rotate your batteries so that if you're using them in your Sig150, have A1 be where A2 was after a charge cycle. Again, I don't know if it's paramount, but it's definitely recommended to avoid any potential mishaps. You want your batteries to be as even as possible in terms of charge cycles etc.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Yep, IMO ya done good in your Selections. I'm also a believer in labeling and marrying Batts . Not an Electrical Engineer or anything (Mechanical is my Realm so to speak) so may just be an OCD thing. But, I do know in a Dual Device it is important to swap locations with each Charging. Whether that's Series or Parallel Wired or both, ask the EE' types in the Crowd.
Elitist? Nope. I like "em All. I am a follower of the "And" Principle. Not the "Or".
Enjoy! Glad you're here.

P.s. I use Sharpies and just go over them every now and then. To each their own as long as you don't "Mark" them like a Dog would :ohmy:

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
The reason for marrying batteries (according to this great video that was posted in the batteries sub forum ) is so both batteries have very similar cycle life and most importantly overall life.

Lets say that both batteries have a total life of 500 charges. If one has already been charged 100 times and the other is brand new, then it is possible for one of the batteries to fail while in the mod, causing the other battery to inevitably work harder, with potentially hazardous results.

It is best that the batteries have similar life cycles so that if one is close to the end of its life so is the other.

Last edited:

DroLeoX

Jul 15, 2015
Yep, IMO ya done good in your Selections. I'm also a believer in labeling and marrying Batts . Not an Electrical Engineer or anything (Mechanical is my Realm so to speak) so may just be an OCD thing. But, I do know in a Dual Device it is important to swap locations with each Charging. Whether that's Series or Parallel Wired or both, ask the EE' types in the Crowd.
Elitist? Nope. I like "em All. I am a follower of the "And" Principle. Not the "Or".
Enjoy! Glad you're here.

P.s. I use Sharpies and just go over them every now and then. To each their own as long as you don't "Mark" them like a Dog would :ohmy:
Haha, true. Well, I'll definitely practice the marrying of the 2 150w batteries. Thanks for having me!

DroLeoX

Jul 15, 2015
The only bit of advice I have is to be careful with the Kanger. I seem to always have issues with my glass. Other then that, nice setup!:thumb:
True, that definitely is a concern, however I've had my subtank mini for months and have actually dropped it many times into hard concrete and once off a ladder, though I was only halfway up. Not even a crack. Not surprising, though, since all other Kanger tanks I've owned eventually broke from overtightening. Never lost one to dropping.
Hey, that's a good question actually! So I remember when I bought the mvp, the primary reason I chose it over similar products was for it's durability. And it is, in fact, extremely durable. Anyway, does anybody here own either the Sigelei 150w or the 75w TC? Are they hardy? Think they can survive a few drops? If not I'll just keep em at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread