Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperValentine

Apr 29, 2015
so i currently have about a 14" long piece of 22ga kanthal and want to build the best coil system for flavor primarily but some good cloud production as well, any help is appreciated (please don't flame me) i have a sigelei 100w and a tobh v2.5 rda (really want to do quad coil but think dual is enough for me atm considering my limited supply of wire) will be buying more kanthal in a few days and need to know what size to buy as well for building the most productive coil system i believe i can fire as low as 0.15 ohms but is lower really better? and if i build dual coil cant i do more wraps before hitting the same amount of resistance as i would on single coil with lower wraps? i just hear that more surface area is better....

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I've never used 22g, that's pretty thick wire, but this might help: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators
With a 100w mod, you don't have to go super low, you can just up your power, and if you're brand new to building you may want to try a single coil first. Building duals you need to make sure both coils are exactly the same.

CloudyWithChanceOfVape

ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2014
USA
Have you ever built a coil before? If not, you need to do some more research. Not flaming you, just discouraging because I am an experienced vaper, and I won a sigelei 150 watt, and I do NOT run mine past 80 watts, with a .2 build. And I've made every coil imagineable.

If you ARE an experienced coil builder and this isn't your first, do a parallel 2 strand coil with about 6 wraps around a blue screwdriver that comes with all RDA's. Excellent flavor, and excellent cloud production.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here!:)

I agree with other members. Start with a single coil and learn how to wick it right and all the other things you need to tweak to get a great vape.

The beauty of a high vv/vw mod is that you don't have to build low sub-ohm coils to get a great vape. In fact, building low sub-ohm works against you. Higher ohm coils use more wire which means more surface area to vaporize juice. This increases both heat and vapor production.

With a mechanical mod you increase the warmth of your coil by building lower ohm coils. However, the electronics in a regulated mod boosts the power coming from the battery so the ohms of the coil no longer control the warmth.

Here's a good thread on the subject: My thoughts about sub-ohm and latest VV/VW devices...

Also check out State O'Flux's blog posts on the "Steam Engine"

1. Steam Engine: From Basic Use to Advanced Features
2. Practical Applications of Heat Flux/Wire Gauge/Parallel Wire/ etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread