Nichrome for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryCagen

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
NOLA
www.facebook.com
I have been vaping for nearly 2 years now. I started out spending hundreds a week and was "any new product chasing" for a while. But I have settled down a little. But I still love to buy new products, just not every Friday, Saturday, Tuesday......I'm sure we have all been there... I've learned to wait a couple weeks or more to get a solid opinion and also save some coin...

Anyway, I have not tried nichrome to this day yet. I make my own juice, I build my own coils and don't always find the time to make tigerwire or clapton wire or the latest alienwire quad-ripple staircase jigsaw spiral vertical rotating coil on a daily basis...... haha... but i would if I had the time... So I typically use 24, 26 or 28 G A1 Kanthal for my builds. The Macro coil is my go-to either single or double. I either use my DNA 30, istick 50w or just one of my regular mech mods. But currently I do not own a temperature controlled device.......yet....

With that said, I always thought that nichrome was intended for temp control devices only. But that is why I am here asking for the breakdown. I have recently seen videos with Nikrothal being used on a mech mod, which we know is not temp control. So is it safe on a mech mod because there is no circuit to short and to only use on a mech or temp control device? Or can I make a dual macro build on my Mutation x v4 and run it on my istick 50w? I really just need a link to the breakdown or if someone can give me the breakdown here to fully understand and also help others when asked.

I appreciate all the help here as always. The ECF has been there for me since day one. Such an amazing and informative place we can all use and appreciate. So thanks again in advance.

shreduhsoreus

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Indianapolis
For temp control, you're thinking of nickel wire.

I use nichrome almost exclusively, nichrome 80 to be specific(which is 80% nickel, 20% chromium), or N80 as it's commonly referred to as. I use it on mechs and regulated devices. It heats up and cools down faster, and has lower resistance. The only Kanthal I use is 20g, I mainly use 22g N80 and use it on mechs and regulated mods, but I also do 24g N80 dual parallel builds quite a bit for mech mods(5 wraps on a 3mm nets about .11 ohms if you run dual coils). Nichrome does have a lower melting point, but you're not going to come anywhere near that even when dry firing your coils, let alone while vaping it.

22g N80 is basically right in between 20 and 22 gauge Kanthal when it comes to resistance, and that's about how it is for all gauges. 26g N80 would be in between 24 and 26g Kanthal, 24g N80 being between 22 and 24g Kanthal, and so on.

I would say pick up a 25ft roll of some 24g N80 from Temco and give it a shot, it's like 4 bucks and change with free shipping.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
I am also looking at getting into temp control coils as I just ordered a IPv d2. Is ni200 the same as n80? I currently use 26g kanthal and looking for a suitable gauge in nichrome. I am looking at 26 or do I go to 24 or 28?

No. Ni200 and N80 are not the same. Ni200 has a very low resistance and is used in temp control devices because the resistance changes as the wire heats up. N80 does not change in resistance enough to be used for temp control. N80 can be used where Kanthal would be used.

Reactions: sahsah

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I am also looking at getting into temp control coils as I just ordered a IPv d2. Is ni200 the same as n80? I currently use 26g kanthal and looking for a suitable gauge in nichrome. I am looking at 26 or do I go to 24 or 28?

As mentioned above, Ni-200 is NOT the same as NiChrome 80. Ni-200 is basically Pure Nickel. Whereas NiChrome 80 is an Alloy of 80% Chromium and 20% Nickel.

If you are looking for a Comparison of Kanthal A-1 to NiChrome 80, this site does a Very Good job of showing what a Build would look like.

Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Strange Smile

Oct 26, 2015
Kalamazoo MI, U.S.A.
Actually, difference is rather minor. The two are pretty close in properties.
I'm sorry but I feel in my experience this is completely false when coming to ramp up times, especially on a mech mod. Why does it seem like no one here mixes wire? Make a Fused clapton with the inner wires being NICR 80 and the fusing outer wires kanthal a1, good ramp and flavor.

Reactions: EJAB

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Can anyone say whether Anarchist Wire is any better than Temco for N80? It's such a huge price differential!

I have Never used Anarchist Wire. But I did give some Temco NiChrome 80 to someone who does. They told me there was No Difference.

They were kinda Blown Away that I would give them 10 Feet or so. I couldn't figure out why until I saw what Anarchist Wire cost.

I also sent them a dozen or so of these coils...

$3.54 Pre-Coiled Wires for Rebuildable Atomizers (100-Pack) - 29 AWG / 0.3mm dia. / 1.1ohm / 12*12mm leads / 5 loops at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

And they told me they couldn't believe that they could buy Pre-Made Coils that were "Perfect" for a Boat Load less than Anarchist raw wire.

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
I hear you.

The taste between Kanthal A-1 and NiChrome 80 is like Night n' Day to me.
Lol I wouldn't go that far, it's a bit better in some scenarios, but to say they are night and day is extremely hyperbolic...the difference is nowhere near that dramatic, it gives a bit better flavor, due primarily to its faster ramp up...

sahsah

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2013
los angeles, california, USA
Awesome. I will order some ni200 and some titanium as well. I want to try temperature control with my Lemo 2 and IPv d2 if the mailman would hurry up!:rickroll::toast:
Best tc experience I've had yet was with SS 316L plus you can use it in power mode as well and it performs great in both. That being said, I've found I'm really not a fan of tc, like is burning wicks still that big of an issue for people? I never burn wicks anymore, for years already, you can just tell when ur cotton is getting dry. The flavor and vapor I get off tc is always just so damn muted and anemic, smh...

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Lol I wouldn't go that far, it's a bit better in some scenarios, but to say they are night and day is extremely hyperbolic...the difference is nowhere near that dramatic, it gives a bit better flavor, due primarily to its faster ramp up...

When you read something about Taste, the thing you have to consider is the Last Two Words of my Original Post. Because what Someone Else might find as a Dramatic Difference might not be the same as what Anyone else finds.

Kanthal, to Me, just Doesn't taste good. And It doesn't have anything to do with Ramp Up speed. Because I can make Slow Ramp Up builds with NiChrome 80 and they don't Taste Bad. They just don't have as Much Flavor as a Faster Build with NiChrome 80.

To Me.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I know exactly what you mean about the taste zoiDman, i've been using SS for over a month now and when i go back to using kanthal or n80 builds i can somehow taste metal alongside the flavour of my juice, not always, not every build, but most of the time, i think its a bit like when i first tried cotton and it had a taste that took a while for the taste buds to mute out!

Reactions: zoiDman

WileE

Aug 12, 2015
USA east coast
@SLIPPY_EEL - Maybe the molybdenum & manganese in SS have given your taste buds super powers:lol:

COMPOSITION
Type 316 Type 316L
% %
Carbon 0.08 max. 0.03 max.
Manganese 2.00 max. 2.00 max.
Phosphorus 0.045 max. 0.045 max.
Sulfur 0.030 max. 0.03 max.
Silicon 0.75 max. 0.75 max.
Chromium 16.00 - 18.00 16.00 - 18.00
Nickel 10.00 - 14.00 10.00 - 14.00
Molybdenum 2.00 - 3.00 2.00 - 3.00
Nitrogen 0.10 max. 0.10 max