Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Done with the Wife's purple heart mod, on to one (another one) for me. This is Padauk skins with an aluminum case, blacked-out Lexan screen cover, dual bag lipos and a very interesting dual tactile switch that I just love.

After using her dual lipo rig, I really like the power, weight and battery life.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
I quick side question about the dual switch. I haven't started building yet so haven't even seen the single switch up close. If the button is too long can they be filed or cut down a couple of mm?

I have cut some and sanded some. I would recommend sanding them, but yes, you can shorten them. I may shorten these by 1.5 mm.

More commonly I use a spacer, say another layer of aluminum to increase the depth. I have put the spacer on the back and on the front. The front makes an interesting look, better than you would think.

Reactions: Davantrac
Very nice looking device. What is the chip that you're using in this device? I didn't see where you mentioned it so forgive me if I missed something.

I would also be interested in seeing an up close of where you braised the seem. I have never used a complete piece of metal all the way around any of my mods but really like the look that gives depending on how good of a job I could braise.

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
The chip is the DNA 40 large screen...only one I like now days. The braze joint is invisible after sanding and putting a 220 grit brushed finish on the aluminum.

I use this: Aluminum Welding Rods - Pack of 8 Low Temperature Rods and a propane/butane or map torch.

It is picky stuff to use, but after some time you get the feel of it. It is also very hard, so you want to limit the amount you have to grind off. Typically I leave the last leg long so that there is some adjustment for square and the final is a T .... join that is then sawed off and ground to a curve to match the other corners. It is also more or less essential that all the case work be done when the metal is flat.

I am still not happy with the screen cover/glass you can get with standard home tools, so I am going to use a blacked out lexan sheet for backer, then pour two part resin to fill the cavity, alleviating the need for a perfect fit on the lexan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread